Woodgate appointed Boro manager

Nuwtfly

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will massively appease the fans - but then, anybody other than Pulis would have done that.

It's a gamble and hopefully one that will backfire. Get the impression that it was difficult to attract people there as clearly their budget is very limited. Woodgate is also free for them.

But I am baffled by posters saying that its a mistake. Appointing Woodgate is no more of a mistake than Lampard and most of us on here would say that he's done a decent job in what are, probably similar circumstances - a big club having done okay last season. Fanbase sick of an outdated manager playing prehistoric football and creating a level of fan apathy whilst building an aging squad. Need rejuvenating but with a very limited budget. Hire an untested manager with no previous experience. Remind you of anyone? Could backfire, could be a masterstroke. How can we possibly tell so perhaps wrong to write this one off.

And for what its worth - Steve Round is an excellent coach and an astute appointment as No2.

29 minutes ago, TibshelfRam said:

Will massively appease the fans - but then, anybody other than Pulis would have done that.

It's a gamble and hopefully one that will backfire. Get the impression that it was difficult to attract people there as clearly their budget is very limited. Woodgate is also free for them.

But I am baffled by posters saying that its a mistake. Appointing Woodgate is no more of a mistake than Lampard and most of us on here would say that he's done a decent job in what are, probably similar circumstances - a big club having done okay last season. Fanbase sick of an outdated manager playing prehistoric football and creating a level of fan apathy whilst building an aging squad. Need rejuvenating but with a very limited budget. Hire an untested manager with no previous experience. Remind you of anyone? Could backfire, could be a masterstroke. How can we possibly tell so perhaps wrong to write this one off.

And for what its worth - Steve Round is an excellent coach and an astute appointment as No2.

Lampard had global appeal and turned us into a global news story overnight.  We expected his status to be instrumental in attracting top quality players and, indeed, if it wasn't for him then I very much doubt we would have got Tomori, Mount, and Wilson.  Woodgate's most well-known moment was scoring an own goal and being sent off in his Real Madrid debut so I don't expect he will have the same draw.

Not saying he is a bad appointment, just one that carries much more risk than Lampard.  I think I would have been much more concerned had we given the job to someone like Idiakez.

3 minutes ago, MK-Ram said:

Lampard had global appeal and turned us into a global news story overnight.  We expected his status to be instrumental in attracting top quality players and, indeed, if it wasn't for him then I very much doubt we would have got Tomori, Mount, and Wilson.  Woodgate's most well-known moment was scoring an own goal and being sent off in his Real Madrid debut so I don't expect he will have the same draw.

Not saying he is a bad appointment, just one that carries much more risk than Lampard.  I think I would have been much more concerned had we given the job to someone like Idiakez.

I don't disagree with you. But being a global name isn't intrinsically linked to being a successful manager. (Henry, Maradona, Shearer)

Of course it is a risk. But, global name/status or not, so was Lampard - massively, massively so.

Woodgate could flop. He might not. But I just don't see how we can write him off. Plenty would have happily written off Lampard.

7 minutes ago, MK-Ram said:

I think it's Rounds reputation as a coach that will go a long way and allow them to get some good loans in. I think it's a decent move for them in their position. 

13 hours ago, TibshelfRam said:

Woodgate was long part of the furniture at the academy. But that’s not telling the full story, I know some of his decisions on kids coming through have been quite unpopular at times. Woodgate not the fan favourite you would think and besides Derby fans, there’s plenty that think Steve Gibson has lost the plot up there.

Hearing besides Round, who is excellent, he’s after Robbie Keane and Liam Rosenior too, which would be equally astute, so maybe surround himself with decent coaches who knows? 

10 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Woodgate was long part of the furniture at the academy. But that’s not telling the full story, I know some of his decisions on kids coming through have been quite unpopular at times. Woodgate not the fan favourite you would think and besides Derby fans, there’s plenty that think Steve Gibson has lost the plot up there.

Hearing besides Round, who is excellent, he’s after Robbie Keane and Liam Rosenior too, which would be equally astute, so maybe surround himself with decent coaches who knows? 

its almost as though woodgate is the Boris Johnson figure - utterly carp but hoping to get away with it by surrounding himself with semi-sensible people.

Archived