Sign in to follow this  
IslandExile

DET

4 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Honestly? The punditry is miles better than you get on Quest, which is my only other alternative without paying Sky. 

Yeah better than Quest I'll allow but not a high bar

Tbh I think pundits generally get away with murder.. Particularly in the championship and below they seem to barely know anything about the teams and just drop constant clichés (with the possible exception of Liam rosenior on sky) 

You'd think the RamsTV pundits would be able to do some genuine analysis or tell me something other than their vague "feelings" about each impending match day

I won't go on too much though, im maybe inappropriately annoyed about how terrible football pundits are, shouldn't make me this angry 😂

15 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

OK, so cheer myself up I want to say thank you to the two media services that have hugely enhanced my DCFC experiences this season as a distant fan.

Firstly @OwenB87 and the team at Rams TV. It's come a long way from it's beginnings 2 years ago. The weekly Review and Preview shows are a highlight of my week. Not some corporate in-house promo. They are proper TV programmes.  Well produced and presented. Crikey, to think how I sat and waited as a kid each Friday for a 40 second snippet on East Midlands Today 🙂 

Secondly the folks @Steve Bloomer's Washing - Chris and Tom and Richard. For a bunch of enthusiasts delivering an "audio fanzine" your show is incredibly high quality. In fact you put both DET and Radio Derby to shame. Nowhere else can I get the kind of considered and thoughtful analysis you guys provide. It's totally unique. The depth you provide is really valuable. And not only that, there's the interviews with opposition podcasters that deliver real insight into the opposition, and most recently detailed interview on Graham Shinnie. Trumping all the professional media outlets.

Well done all. And please keep on doing what you're doing. 

Thanks a lot. We always appreciate positive feedback!

We're currently planning for next season in the SBW bunker and hope to line up more interviews for 19/20. Watch this space 🐏

21 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Absolutely dreadful journalism in the DET nowadays. They’ll string anything they can into an article with a clickbait title. It’s embarrassing even to look at to be frank. I mean for one they’re using a football manager from last year that’s not gonna know the events of this season so using it to predict anything this summer is ludicrous. If it wasn’t ludicrous enough using a game in the first place. Properly embarrassing.

I don't agree with this at all.

Duracell SLAMS Milleniumram in forum reply.

Click the link below to find out what he said...

3 hours ago, Duracell said:

I don't agree with this at all.

Duracell SLAMS Milleniumram in forum reply.

Click the link below to find out what he said...

Guess we’ll have to agree to disagree..

Millenniumram HITS BACK at Duracell as forum FEUD continues!

Click here for what the fans on twitter think of the situation

17 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Guess we’ll have to agree to disagree..

Millenniumram HITS BACK at Duracell as forum FEUD continues!

Click here for what the fans on twitter think of the situation

Your link doesn't work

Gotta say, I don’t think the DET is nowhere near as bad as it once was for adverts/surveys in its current state. It’s atleast readable and most of the time I can work out if an article is something I’ve already read before clicking on it. Sometimes it’s all a little OTT but it’s a small sacrifice if you want to keep local journalism alive.

I do think we have one of the best local reporters in Nicholson too, in fact I think he’s largely under appreciated for the amount of years he’s been there. He’s maybe not breaking news (and he’s too close to the club to be announcing things before the club wishes) but his football insight is hard to beat. Give me his approach over some of the drivel other clubs get.

Its not perfect, but I’d rather keep it in its current guise than to not have it at all. Also let’s appreciate Nicholson some more!

37 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Your link doesn't work

SaintRam JOINS IN the battle against millenniumram, our sources say millenniumram set to QUIT and join footymad IF they reach his 10 MILLION compensation package

This isn't the DET's fault that their site sucks, they are doing what works.

Many smaller, and some bigger news outlets are in real problems.

I get p'eed off with the DET and visit less frequently and I have whined on here.

But I don't care how many people on here say they no longer go, it won't make any difference.

The reality is they would rather have 10% of the people visiting that once did with heavy ad use than 100% who visited when they relied on the physical copy of the paper.

They have to make money, and this is how they do it. Clickbait works! At least for now.

We all want information for free, but none of us truly get it. The cost of getting what they have, is the advertising. Just like the cost of using Facebook is they will track the crap out of you, sell your data (often illegally), throw ads at you etc.

The DET has two choices. Offer a free service and try and recover their costs with advertising. Or use a paywall and see what happens.

The problem with the latter is they are not the New York Times or USA Today and as such don't have the resources to make a paid site viable. They don't have reporters all around the world and a global network of people justy waiting to tell them about something breaking.

We can all look back on the days when the DET was awesome and we stopped to pick one up on the way home from work.

But consider this. People weren't buying multiple copies everyday and complaining when the stories weren't in-depth enough or weren't breaking news.

That's effectively what is happening now

Gerald Mortimer had to write maybe a couple of stories a day. That won't cut it now because we all want more.

And fwiw I think Steve Nicholson does a fine job under the conditions he's working with.