DET

IslandExile

Well at least the Derby Evening Telegraph are not idly speculating on the future of Frank Lampard like other news media outlets.

No. They are playing Football Manager and reporting on it!!! Sheesh.

It's not just because it's quiet during the close season. They used it to predict the results of the playoffs.

Is this the pressure of having to provide 24 hour news content in between all the ads? It's awful journalism.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Well at least the Derby Evening Telegraph are not idly speculating on the future of Frank Lampard like other news media outlets.

No. They are playing Football Manager and reporting on it!!! Sheesh.

It's not just because it's quiet during the close season. They used it to predict the results of the playoffs.

Is this the pressure of having to provide 24 hour news content in between all the ads? It's awful journalism.

Didn't they also use FIFA to 'simulate' the playoffs?

It used to be i wouldn't believe any Rams story until it was confirmed in the DET.  Now I don't believe it when it's confirmed in the DET, unless it's a day after the thing they're confirming has actually happened.  Christ, I'd barely trust a full time score...  

The idiots they've got working there now are barely more credible than Bris and his HITC cronies, trying to pass off idle speculation and recycled opinions as in-depth analysis...

I feel particularly sorry for the likes of Steve Nicholson and many other reporters with provincial newspaper columns. The nationals have been feeding on rumours, gossip and 'invented facts' for decades but sadly it's now spread to local papers. Not worth even reading these days.

Absolutely dreadful journalism in the DET nowadays. They’ll string anything they can into an article with a clickbait title. It’s embarrassing even to look at to be frank. I mean for one they’re using a football manager from last year that’s not gonna know the events of this season so using it to predict anything this summer is ludicrous. If it wasn’t ludicrous enough using a game in the first place. Properly embarrassing.

2 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Be weird if they didn't report on a story, that is doing the rounds all over the press, that involves our manager, wouldn't it?

Reporting on the reporting is a desperation for content.

I've only opened up about 2 different articles on the DET Twitter feed since the season ended - there was one this week about players we could sign which was actually new to me.

I've got some advice to Steve and the DET. 

Do a "Bournemouth eye Bogle" headline. 

Be very vague so when nothing happens you've got a way out. 

"Looking to move a couple of players on first"

"It is thought Derby want all the money up front but Bournemouth would like to have a few clauses". You don't have to say who thinks it. And Derby would always prefer money upfront and a buying club would always like clauses. So that's true anyway. 

Then ask Bogle about the move. He'll give a polite "I'm concentrating on my football and I've got x years on my contract". Now that means he's not thought about it but as man trying to make a career then it benefits him to be in a strong negotiating position all the time. You need to report this..

"Bogle open to Bournemouth approach".

Now you see people will put bets on it. Now you say 

"Everton monitoring Bogle situation but Bournemouth are the bookies favourite." I mean "monitoring" means feck all and it's true that he's not the bookies favourite. 

Now what you do is watch other media pick it up. Be patient. 

Now each paper will try to out do each other. Wait for the one that goes furthest. Then report what they said like this..

"Bogle set for Bournemouth move". That's your big headline. Add in your "according to some sources" (newspaper that ran your story) and repeat the bookies odds. 

You've got people hooked. 

It's easy. Call me

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

I've got some advice to Steve and the DET. 

Do a "Bournemouth eye Bogle" headline. 

Be very vague so when nothing happens you've got a way out. 

"Looking to move a couple of players on first"

"It is thought Derby want all the money up front but Bournemouth would like to have a few clauses". You don't have to say who thinks it. And Derby would always prefer money upfront and a buying club would always like clauses. So that's true anyway. 

Then ask Bogle about the move. He'll give a polite "I'm concentrating on my football and I've got x years on my contract". Now that means he's not thought about it but as man trying to make a career then it benefits him to be in a strong negotiating position all the time. You need to report this..

"Bogle open to Bournemouth approach".

Now you see people will put bets on it. Now you say 

"Everton monitoring Bogle situation but Bournemouth are the bookies favourite." I mean "monitoring" means feck all and it's true that he's not the bookies favourite. 

Now what you do is watch other media pick it up. Be patient. 

Now each paper will try to out do each other. Wait for the one that goes furthest. Then report what they said like this..

"Bogle set for Bournemouth move". That's your big headline. Add in your "according to some sources" (newspaper that ran your story) and repeat the bookies odds. 

You've got people hooked. 

It's easy. Call me

You've got it slightly wrong.

Nicholson will go with a headline along the lines of "You'll never guess which Premier League team are eyeing a Derby player"

And then deny it's clickbait when called out on it.

Only read the paper form of the DET is when I find one on the seat of a waiting room or pub. As for the on-line version, due to all the adverts, I've not been on their site in years. Do you still have to answer a questionnaire before you can even get on their site?

6 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

It used to be i wouldn't believe any Rams story until it was confirmed in the DET.  Now I don't believe it when it's confirmed in the DET, unless it's a day after the thing they're confirming has actually happened.  Christ, I'd barely trust a full time score...  

The idiots they've got working there now are barely more credible than Bris and his HITC cronies, trying to pass off idle speculation and recycled opinions as in-depth analysis...

Steve Nicholson is a good sports reporter who has been there a long time and was part of the team that you will have trusted, however everything else there has undoubtedly changed beyond recognition and probably explains the steep decline.

This here's the problem: 

We aren't will to pay... which forces media outlets to do all the clickbait to get free eyeballs on their ads.

I'm willing to bet that Derby County stories consistently drive more clicks than any other topic for the DET.

In the chase for eyeballs ever more outrageous headlines and soundbites are delivered.

And it will get worse. 

You soon wont be able to tell what's real and what's fake anymore. Have you seen the Zuckerberg simulation on Instagram today?

By the time of the next election I expect many of these to be circulating on social media for leading politicians.

Just depressing myself now about where we could all be heading.

OK, so cheer myself up I want to say thank you to the two media services that have hugely enhanced my DCFC experiences this season as a distant fan.

Firstly @OwenB87 and the team at Rams TV. It's come a long way from it's beginnings 2 years ago. The weekly Review and Preview shows are a highlight of my week. Not some corporate in-house promo. They are proper TV programmes.  Well produced and presented. Crikey, to think how I sat and waited as a kid each Friday for a 40 second snippet on East Midlands Today ? 

Secondly the folks @Steve Bloomer's Washing - Chris and Tom and Richard. For a bunch of enthusiasts delivering an "audio fanzine" your show is incredibly high quality. In fact you put both DET and Radio Derby to shame. Nowhere else can I get the kind of considered and thoughtful analysis you guys provide. It's totally unique. The depth you provide is really valuable. And not only that, there's the interviews with opposition podcasters that deliver real insight into the opposition, and most recently detailed interview on Graham Shinnie. Trumping all the professional media outlets.

Well done all. And please keep on doing what you're doing. 

25 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

OK, so cheer myself up I want to say thank you to the two media services that have hugely enhanced my DCFC experiences this season as a distant fan.

Firstly @OwenB87 and the team at Rams TV. It's come a long way from it's beginnings 2 years ago. The weekly Review and Preview shows are a highlight of my week. Not some corporate in-house promo. They are proper TV programmes.  Well produced and presented. Crikey, to think how I sat and waited as a kid each Friday for a 40 second snippet on East Midlands Today ? 

Secondly the folks @Steve Bloomer's Washing - Chris and Tom and Richard. For a bunch of enthusiasts delivering an "audio fanzine" your show is incredibly high quality. In fact you put both DET and Radio Derby to shame. Nowhere else can I get the kind of considered and thoughtful analysis you guys provide. It's totally unique. The depth you provide is really valuable. And not only that, there's the interviews with opposition podcasters that deliver real insight into the opposition, and most recently detailed interview on Graham Shinnie. Trumping all the professional media outlets.

Well done all. And please keep on doing what you're doing. 

You can't seriously think the punditry on RamsTV is good... The only good thing about it is Roger Davies shouting inadvertently 

32 minutes ago, Jram said:

You can't seriously think the punditry on RamsTV is good... The only good thing about it is Roger Davies shouting inadvertently 

Honestly? The punditry is miles better than you get on Quest, which is my only other alternative without paying Sky. 

5 hours ago, Srg said:

You've got it slightly wrong.

Nicholson will go with a headline along the lines of "You'll never guess which Premier League team are eyeing a Derby player"

And then deny it's clickbait when called out on it.

let it go GIF

Archived