Expectations for next season ?

ram1964

This time last season we had just appointed Frank and Jodie. Although at first I wasn't over enthusiastic over the appointment,it appeared to be greeted well on the forum and I remained optimistic knowing we had an over aged squad carrying a lot of dead wood ,limited funds to rebuild and a manager at the helm with no experience.

However consoled myself that with the sale of Vydra  and hopefully others we would see a season of consolidation, and probably achieve a mid table finish as we rebuilt and improved as a team for this coming season.

Having had the season we have just had, all be it with the aid of some excellent loanees, Waghorn and Marriott look promising ,Holmes Bogle and others are coming through the ranks. How do you see our season developing this year?

Personally I expect FL and JM to remain, similar format of a few loanees , blooding of academy players and be of

a similar squad strength to last season with the benefit of Frank having gained experience in all aspects of management to get us closer to automatic promotion.

So hopefully attractive offensive football.

Top 6 finish or above

Further development of academy players being blooded in the team.

Waghorn, Marriott to become proven top quality championship players.

Quality loanees to bolster the squad.

Dead wood forever gone,they know who they are?

Perhaps just a majestic signing ?

Hope am being realistic what are your thoughts ambitions for next season and how do you see us achieving them.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Certainly had a few poor performances / results in which I questioned FL decision making ,which with experience will hopefully improve?. Hopefully  the confidence within the squad further development of players a better understanding between players and management will provide more consistency and hopefully a good run of results which we lacked last season that can take us over the line.

I've had my realistic "top 10 would be good" season.

Time to join the ranks of unreasonable expectations. Top 2 for me! 

On the premise that we’re able to assemble a squad of similar ability, it has to be promotion. We saw in patches last season we could be untouchable at times. Progression for me would be for us to iron out those inconsistencies, and the by-product of that is probably top two.

Sounds daunting, but surely anything else would be considered a step backwards?

I think it will probably not be promotion next season given our lack of funds but, provided we keep hold of them this summer, I think we could have some insane assets this time next year 

I'm mainly thinking of marriott looks very capable of being a 15 million pound striker, Holmes also showed signs of being an excellent player, bogle is already worth 10 million

I'm not sure any of the youth players will break through next season in the way I might be hoping but they seem convinced bird can do it so we will see. They bang on about his manners but that won't get him in the first team 

As is stands 12th -8th , by August depending on who we sign or sell it could be anything from 16th- to 1st . Realistically if I was to guess what our transfers will be like , probably 8th. I would hope we should get top 6, but  TBH I would rather finish midtable than loose in the playoffs again, it would be nice to get top 2 but we probably don't have the funds and ability to find bargains to strengthen the squad enough.

Expectations can be viewed in two ways, realistic and unrealistic.

Realistic: We will have to circualte close to 60% of the team that played at Wembley and do so well to repeat last year. As it stands, realistically with little funding and no clear transfer targets but a manager 1 year longer in to his management career then it has to be 12th-6th.

Unrealistically: we will have cleared some of the dead wood giving us more wiggle room for wages and transfers if we sell one player for several million and buy a few gems and the youth players come good, and we get another lot of worthwhile loan players, and the manager takes more leaps and bounds in his expertise, then top 2.

Archived