Fikayo Tomori

David

11 hours ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

I can sort of agree on the disrespect thing but the disparity in the SFL is massive in comparison.  Beyond Celtic and Rangers there are three teams who average mid teens as their average attendance.  The other seven (over half) don't average above 7,000.

In fact the team ranked twelfth in the attendance league average only 2,829 fans per game.  To put that into perspective, in English League football only 5 teams (Forest Green, Stevenage, Macclesfield, Crawley and Morecombe) have lower attendances and they all sit squarely in the lower echelons of our fourth tier.  I know a teams ability isn't directly linked to how many watch them play but it certainly goes a long way to framing budgets etc.  So in essence the quality of the challenge if Tomori did go over the border would be around the League 1 or 2  level for large parts of the season, lower championship for 12 games and high end Premier League for 4 games.

Doesn't mean there aren't great clubs in Scotland or that great players can't come from or via Scotland, just that as an independent league it's a bit weak depth wise.  If I were Tomori, I'd sit back and see what offers come in.  I'd love it for him to decide to come back to Derby but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to Germany instead of Premier League.  This is because I think he's more suited to a top 6 EPL team who press high than a lower end team who look to contain.  I just can't see him getting lots of game time in a top 6 EPL team.  Yet.

Definitely interesting times and choices for the lad.

Is this not down to population size more than anything? 

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Is this not down to population size more than anything? 

Too true.  Scotland consists of 30,000 odd square miles with a population of 5.3 million.  Compare that to England's 50,000 square miles and 53 million population and you can see why there are issues in developing a competitive league system in Scotland.  Don't tell Nicola Sturgeon but you could make the argument that the Scottish football would be more relevant within a British league system.  #tinhaton ?

10 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fikayo-tomori-price-tag-revealed-2945412

DT quoting the Daily Fail, who say £10m would get him.

Bargain, imo. Doubt we'd be willing to spend that in one chunk, we'd probably be looking to get 2-3 and a loan for that amount.

Go get him Mel, you know it makes sense.  You can always sell yourself Moor Farm if Steve Gibson pipes up ?

10m would be a good price for him no doubt, I’m surprised Chelsea are letting him go permanently yet if I’m honest at such a low price, at his age he’s still got potential to make the very top imo, given what we’ve seen so far. Probably not good news for us either as I doubt we could afford that and means we won’t be able to get him back on loan if Chelsea get permanent offers. If Celtic and teams in the bundesliga want him then they’re levels ahead of us and we’ve got no chance. Don’t personally think he’s ready for Europe yet as his defensive abilities could use some work, still a season away imo.

I think Tomori has been great for us this season and if £10m is close to Chelsea's valuation then he'd be a bargain but for us to sign him, given our financial restrictions, would be crazy.

It would probably use up all next seasons' transfer budget, meaning we would be unable to strengthen more urgent positions - midfield and a decent, proper, quality winger.

36 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fikayo-tomori-price-tag-revealed-2945412

DT quoting the Daily Fail, who say £10m would get him.

Bargain, imo. Doubt we'd be willing to spend that in one chunk, we'd probably be looking to get 2-3 and a loan for that amount.

Here's a challenge - Would you let Bogle go if we could bring Tomori in?

6 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Here's a challenge - Would you let Bogle go if we could bring Tomori in?

Tough one. 

Depends really as it's pretty much a one in one out situation. 

If there was money available to make 2 more decent signings (1-2m sorts) then yes if not then I think we lose our best selling asset and have nothing to replace anyone. 

Just now, IlsonDerby said:

Tough one. 

Depends really as it's pretty much a one in one out situation. 

If there was money available to make 2 more decent signings (1-2m sorts) then yes if not then I think we lose our best selling asset and have nothing to replace anyone. 

I'm working on the assumption that with last years FFP profit (well done again Uncle Mel) we probably have a little cash to play with this summer - So anyone we sold would boost that - Assuming we have £10m currently and could bring in 4-5 players for that we wouldn't need to sell Bogle

However - If we sold Bogle (I really hope we don't) I'd probably be okay if it was to fund Tomori - And slot Wisdom back in at RB

14 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I'm working on the assumption that with last years FFP profit (well done again Uncle Mel) we probably have a little cash to play with this summer - So anyone we sold would boost that - Assuming we have £10m currently and could bring in 4-5 players for that we wouldn't need to sell Bogle

However - If we sold Bogle (I really hope we don't) I'd probably be okay if it was to fund Tomori - And slot Wisdom back in at RB

Nooooooooooooooooooo!

Whenever I've seen Wisdom in the team this season he doesn't look bothered about playing. No fight and has been slow to challenge for the ball. If he's been playing through injury then that makes sense but if not he hasn't got the right character to keep around.

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

Nooooooooooooooooooo!

He's a good player - Not as exciting as Bogle but a very good championship RB

13 minutes ago, Shang said:

Whenever I've seen Wisdom in the team this season he doesn't look bothered about playing. No fight and has been slow to challenge for the ball. If he's been playing through injury then that makes sense but if not he hasn't got the right character to keep around.

I don't think that's a fair assessment - He's been in and around the match day squad all season - Can't see Lampard picking him if his attitude was as poor as you suggest

2 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

He's a good player - Not as exciting as Bogle but a very good championship RB

I don't think that's a fair assessment - He's been in and around the match day squad all season - Can't see Lampard picking him if his attitude was as poor as you suggest

The way he has moved on the pitch this season has been slow and lacks any desire, there was a game where he hadn't even bothered jumping to challenge for a header, this happened a few times, and his passing was lazy through out.

I liked him in previous seasons but this season hasn't been right. A good reason to have someone like Wisdom on the bench is that he can play across the whole of the back line, meaning you can free up another spot of the bench for a different forward player.

If we don't need to amortize his cost, we could offer 9mil paid across three years with another bonus if we make the PL?  Put him on a four year contract and given his quality it would be fairly safe to assume his value wouldn't go down.  Therefore he wouldn't affect FFP beyond his wages, and we have a sorted defence, that if it continues to improve as it has through this season will be a top 3 defence consistently for the next couple of years.

Easy this football lark.  Someone should make it into a computer game, perhaps call it 'Football Manager'?

2 minutes ago, Shang said:

I liked him in previous seasons but this season hasn't been right.

Hasn't he been managing an injury all season for which he's now had an operation.

Wisdom is ideal cover/competition for all across the back line as you say.

1 minute ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Put him on a four year contract and given his quality it would be fairly safe to assume his value wouldn't go down.  Therefore he wouldn't affect FFP beyond his wages

Boom!

17 minutes ago, Shang said:

The way he has moved on the pitch this season has been slow and lacks any desire, there was a game where he hadn't even bothered jumping to challenge for a header, this happened a few times, and his passing was lazy through out.

I liked him in previous seasons but this season hasn't been right. A good reason to have someone like Wisdom on the bench is that he can play across the whole of the back line, meaning you can free up another spot of the bench for a different forward player.

I'd rather not speculate on things I don't know - He's not been getting much game time this season which will affect sharpness - And if he has been playing through a fitness issue that will also affect it

I just don't like speculating on a players attitude based on what we see once a week for 90 mins - I don't think Lampard would put up with a player who has a poor attitude whether they are a utility player or not - So I choose to assume Lampard knows what he's doing

Archived