Harry Wilson - Joined Bournemouth

Chris Mills

For me, there’s no way Wilson will make it into the Liverpool side. He’s a good player and I like him but he’s just not good enough (and never will be) for that very top level. 

He’ll go for for a Prem loan but won’t get much game time is my 2p. For his development he’d do well to come back here (game time, fans love him, etc) but I doubt it’ll happen. He’ll want to play at a higher level you’d have thought and you can’t blame him for that. 

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Raich Van Carter said:

For me, there’s no way Wilson will make it into the Liverpool side. He’s a good player and I like him but he’s just not good enough (and never will be) for that very top level. 

It's an interesting one though - I would have said the same about Lingard at Man Utd after his loan period - I thought he was okay for us but certainly didn't see him ever becoming a Man Utd first teamer

If Wilson puts the hard work in there's no reason he couldn't make it at Liverpool - He's a different kind of winger to what they currently have and has proved he can play an advanced central midfield role too so provide utility - He was (for me) better for us than Lingard was so I see no reason he couldn't also make the step up

16 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

It's an interesting one though - I would have said the same about Lingard at Man Utd after his loan period - I thought he was okay for us but certainly didn't see him ever becoming a Man Utd first teamer

If Wilson puts the hard work in there's no reason he couldn't make it at Liverpool - He's a different kind of winger to what they currently have and has proved he can play an advanced central midfield role too so provide utility - He was (for me) better for us than Lingard was so I see no reason he couldn't also make the step up

The one qualifier in this is Liverpool are operating on a different level to Man Utd right now, especially from where Man Utd were when Lingard made his debut (they're not really better now either). Plus, Lingard had the from Manchester thing on his side.

15 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I see what your saying but to play at the real top level you need to be technically, tactically and physically very good.

Id argue that Wilson is probably only technically good enough.

Having said that id have him back at Derby in a heartbeat because football is about levels and Wilson is clearly a very good player in the Championship.

Lingard isnt good enough for a top level team and should be playing lower to mid prem level imo.

24 minutes ago, northantsram said:

I see what your saying but to play at the real top level you need to be technically, tactically and physically very good.

Having said that id have him back at Derby in a heartbeat because football is about levels and Wilson is clearly a very good player in the Championship.

Lingard isnt good enough for a top level team and should be playing lower to mid prem level imo.

Whilst it’s hard to argue against your opinion on Wilson given he hasn’t played at that level yet, Lingard has played over 100 games for Man Utd and been capped many times for England, as well as being an integral part of the team that reached the WC semi final.

He has already established himself as being good enough for a top level team.

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

That’s a very valid point. Lingard’s Graft and finishing set him apart - not sure Wilson has any truly outstanding abilities but still, you have a point. I really hope Wilson does well - I like him - I think he has good mental strength and that might be the edge he needs to cut it. 

For the record, I’d have Wilson back here on loan in a heartbeat if we could. He’s class at this level. 

7 minutes ago, Raich Van Carter said:

That’s a very valid point. Lingard’s Graft and finishing set him apart - not sure Wilson has any truly outstanding abilities but still, you have a point. I really hope Wilson does well - I like him - I think he has good mental strength and that might be the edge he needs to cut it. 

For the record, I’d have Wilson back here on loan in a heartbeat if we could. He’s class at this level. 

I'd argue I've not seen many people hit a ball like Wilson can in the flesh. I'd say that's an elite trait.

10 minutes ago, Raich Van Carter said:

I totally agree with your comments about mental strength. The treatment he got last season from opposition players did not get enough attention and his temperament to just absorb this needs commending. He never milked it or lashed out. 

He's a serious talent. When you compare him to the loans across the board at all clubs last year you'd have to say hes in the top 5 for influence and performance. 
His ability to score from different positions is a top skill, set piece ability is incredible, movement is very good and actually his composure in front of goal is rarely mentioned I look back at his finishes against Brentford away and recently for Liverpool in their friendly. Knows what he is doing and where the goal is. Still plenty of time to develop. 

IF he is going to come and its a big if, it won't happen anytime soon will be late on in the window. 

1 hour ago, Srg said:

The one qualifier in this is Liverpool are operating on a different level to Man Utd right now

Fair shout - But the backups to Mane and Salah at the moment are Shaqiri and the injury plagued Llalana - I think Wilson can compete with them to be first reserve

37 minutes ago, Raich Van Carter said:

I think a lot of the time football can boil down to simple moments of magic - And playing well or badly Wilson seems to have the ability to pick a goal out of nowhere - Any team at any level needs players who can do that

1 hour ago, northantsram said:

I think hard work can give him the knowledge of how to deal with the physical side of the game, but who knows if he's the kind of guy who will do that

I don't think it's fair to judge Wilson again the likes of Mane and Salah, the competition he has for first team places at Liverpool. Or if he was to drop into CM, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Milner, Keira and others I can't think of, the competition is fierce. Salah and Mane are world class. 

There's absolutely no chance he's going to be at their level yet. At least he's getting a chance in the friendlies, no reason to believe he can grow in confidence and ability under Klopp. I'm not sure on Klopps track record with youth, but TAA and Gomez (both defenders, Klopps former position, although TAA could be described as an attacking player) have improved massively. Wilson deserves a crack, but I'd be delighted if he came back here for another year.

A lot of people praise Tomori and Mount, but Wilson was equally important last year, for his attitude and driving runs. He was my favourite out of the 3.

On 22/07/2019 at 13:33, blackNwhites said:

I don't think it's fair to judge Wilson again the likes of Mane and Salah, the competition he has for first team places at Liverpool. Or if he was to drop into CM, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Milner, Keira and others I can't think of, the competition is fierce. Salah and Mane are world class. 

There's absolutely no chance he's going to be at their level yet. At least he's getting a chance in the friendlies, no reason to believe he can grow in confidence and ability under Klopp. I'm not sure on Klopps track record with youth, but TAA and Gomez (both defenders, Klopps former position, although TAA could be described as an attacking player) have improved massively. Wilson deserves a crack, but I'd be delighted if he came back here for another year.

A lot of people praise Tomori and Mount, but Wilson was equally important last year, for his attitude and driving runs. He was my favourite out of the 3.

Tomori and Mount were great but so many times Wilson gave that wow factor.

I think he could well end up going to Newcastle, but I honestly think that's a car crash waiting to happen. It's such a poor fit for him. He's been bang out of form for a while now too, with his pre-season for Liverpool going sour towards the end. 

He needs a club where he can refine his game, make mistakes and get minutes under his belt. Newcastle, under Bruce, in their current state, is possibly one of the worst moves he could make which makes me think they will make it. 

7 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

It's time for us to forget the likes of Wilson and Tomori and move on.

I'm going to need a better reason than your mate the Newcastle fan before I move on, like a signature on a contract or something

Archived