Ve day bank holiday

Sith Happens

Sith Happens

Its been announced next year we get a day off to celebrate ve day, Friday the 8th may.

The catch? We lose may day bank holiday Monday 

Its pathetic,  why not push the boat out and just have an extra day?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Its been announced next year we get a day off to celebrate ve day, Friday the 8th may.

Maybe it’s because employers might moan?

Make the Tories happy that the bank holiday is moved away from May Day, far to many connotations with communism for their liking. 

It as been moved before, when the 50th anniversary of VE day was celebrated. But unlike next year when it will be moved to a Friday, it was changed from one Monday to another back in 1995.

Coincidently the previous change also happen during a Conservative government. Bet there'll be a call by some Tory MPs to make the change permanent.

All this war memorial stuff is so much more exaggerated than when I were a lad. It's like our lives are so empty we have to show off about how deeply we remember the fallen. As long as we only know about what happened with Britain though, that is fine. And as long as we forget all the lessons too. 

I thought that VE Day was supposed to be March 31st, but then they moved it to June 30th and then to October 31st. I wish they would make their minds up.

14 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Of all the bank holidays to try to lose, they aim for the one based on workers rights. What a surprise.

50 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Do we get another one in August to celebrate VJ day? The *actual* end of the war

Hmmm, not aure about that one.

Obviously there were millions of civilian casualties all over the world in WW2 but comemmorating a VJ day which only came about due to tens of thousands of japanese people being vaporised just feels a bit wrong to me.

I accept that might just be me, though.

Just now, Wolfie said:

Obviously there were millions of civilian casualties all over the world in WW2 but comemmorating a VJ day which only came about due to tens of thousands of japanese people being vaporised just feels a bit wrong to me.

Yeah - I was being flippant really. But it does kind of feel wrong that we will be celebrating VE day as the end of the war, ignoring the fact that 3 months later we (Allied forces)  dropped 2 atomic bombs on Japan.
I just hope that those anniversaries are given the gravitas they deserve

23 hours ago, Wolfie said:

If it weren't for the atomic bombs ending the war with Japan then I, and I suspect many millions of others, wouldn't be around now.  My Dad was preparing for an amphibious assault on islands occupied by the Japanese in the Pacific when the bombs dropped and Japan surrendered.  When they eventually arrived on the islands they discovered that the Japanese had been entirely untouched by the naval shelling and airstrikes that were meant to make their landings possible - the crossfire they would have faced would have made the D-Day landings look like a picnic (and they weren't). My dad would almost inevitably have been killed along with many thousands of others, and I always raise a quiet glass to him and those that ended that part of the war on VJ day.

You can also argue that the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs had one other very beneficial effect (other than my Dad) and that was to help to prevent both the USA (and France and Britain) and the USSR from actually using atomic weapons during the Cold War.  They knew, because they saw what happened in Japan and because they knew that the weapons they later developed were many times more powerful, the catastrophic damage to mankind that would result. There were hawks on both sides, but both sides had their voices of reason too.

34 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

If it weren't for the atomic bombs ending the war with Japan then I, and I suspect many millions of others, wouldn't be around now.  My Dad was preparing for an amphibious assault on islands occupied by the Japanese in the Pacific when the bombs dropped and Japan surrendered.  When they eventually arrived on the islands they discovered that the Japanese had been entirely untouched by the naval shelling and airstrikes that were meant to make their landings possible - the crossfire they would have faced would have made the D-Day landings look like a picnic (and they weren't). My dad would almost inevitably have been killed along with many thousands of others, and I always raise a quiet glass to him and those that ended that part of the war on VJ day.

You can also argue that the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs had one other very beneficial effect (other than my Dad) and that was to help to prevent both the USA (and France and Britain) and the USSR from actually using atomic weapons during the Cold War.  They knew, because they saw what happened in Japan and because they knew that the weapons they later developed were many times more powerful, the catastrophic damage to mankind that would result. There were hawks on both sides, but both sides had their voices of reason too.

Read an excellent book about the Hiroshima bomb year's ago called Ruin from the Air.  Well worth a go .

On 10/06/2019 at 00:36, 1of4 said:

Make the Tories happy that the bank holiday is moved away from May Day, far to many connotations with communism for their liking. 

It as been moved before, when the 50th anniversary of VE day was celebrated. But unlike next year when it will be moved to a Friday, it was changed from one Monday to another back in 1995.

Coincidently the previous change also happen during a Conservative government. Bet there'll be a call by some Tory MPs to make the change permanent.

Oh, and there was me thinking Mayday was all about dancing around a pole and pagan fertility rites

Sith Happens
53 minutes ago, jono said:

Oh, and there was me thinking Mayday was all about dancing around a pole and pagan fertility rites

Even better,  a bank holiday to celebrate pole dancing.

On 10/06/2019 at 10:24, GboroRam said:

Of all the bank holidays to try to lose, they aim for the one based on workers rights. What a surprise.

True, but it is clearly the worst bank holiday. Too soon after Easter and too close to the End of May one. Another in late July when the weather is better would be good. Or maybe end of October to mean we didn't just have one holiday in the 7 months between end of May and Xmas.

Why don't politicians just give us more. A real vote winning. Fk business.

42 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

True, but it is clearly the worst bank holiday. Too soon after Easter and too close to the End of May one. Another in late July when the weather is better would be good. Or maybe end of October to mean we didn't just have one holiday in the 7 months between end of May and Xmas.

Why don't politicians just give us more. A real vote winning. Fk business.

Labour are still promising the UK's saint's days will be made bank holidays, so that's another one on 23rd April. Stupidly close to Easter & May Day.

Archived