Liam Delap - Signed for Man City

A few moaning about this but it’s worth noting that Derby will have no say in this. He isn’t allowed to be under a proper contract yet which does allow other clubs to come in and test what a players real motivations are. Unfortunate but just how it is.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

If the fee is true in this case and in the case of Thomas... 2.4m for 2 players not near our first team is a lot of money. We have a big rebuild job this summer. That money could fund 3 or 4 players who will be in the first team this season

It’s a gamble - good if they do nothing - very bad if they go on to be superstars - with man city paying up front I doubt we could get any sell on with Delap 

12 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

If the fee is true in this case and in the case of Thomas... 2.4m for 2 players not near our first team is a lot of money. We have a big rebuild job this summer. That money could fund 3 or 4 players who will be in the first team this season

'Not near our first team'?! Delap is only just 16! 

The teenage centre-forward, who has featured for the young Rams seven times (one goal) in the Under-18 Premier League this season, is already collecting plaudits on the international stage for England’s Under-16s.

In the aforesaid Aegean tournament, the younger Delap scored four goals to take the golden Boot award. His first came in a 2-0 victory over Albania, this being followed up by a double in the Young Lions 5-1 win over Moldova. His fourth goal came in a 2-1 loss to hosts Turkey.

Such promise and potential is never going to go unnoticed and it hasn’t in this case with Delap’s exploits landing him on the radar of Premier League Champions Manchester City.

Be short-sighted to lose him if we don't have to. A couple of years on and we could coin it for a 'prolific' young striker.

4 hours ago, BagRam said:

Morning everyone, I’m new to this forum but I am the one who broke the delap story for £1.2 million to city on Twitter.

I'm not necessarily doubting you, but why would Man City pay £1.2m when under EPPP they can get him for £40,000 × however many years he's been at our academy (6?)....???

3 minutes ago, Carnero said:

I'm not necessarily doubting you, but why would Man City pay £1.2m when under EPPP they can get him for £40,000 × however many years he's been at our academy (6?)....???

Yes it is odd isn't it, and yet Rob Dorset reporting the same. 

25 minutes ago, Carnero said:

I've a feeling that the grading of an academy has a bearing on price / tribunal so that may protect us now somewhat , I'm no expert on that though .    The other possibility is there may be more than one interested party ?.   The amount paid may reflect the signing on fee he would get .  Probably in excess of £200.000.  At 16 -the worlds gone mad .   That may prompt him to go there rather than somewhere else or stay put .

34 minutes ago, Carnero said:

I can’t speak with certainty but maybe if they pay up front there won’t be any add ons - the Swansea player James who just transferred to Man United was stolen by Swansea from Hull and Hull are due 5% of that fee apparently so maybe Manchester City value him highly 

8 hours ago, maydrakin said:

It’s my recollection that players who were in the EFL academies were only entitled to compensation for each year of development.

Having looked, for Category 1 it’s £40,000 per year, so I highly doubt we’re getting the cash quoted...

(Rules 325 -328)

https://www.efl.com/siteassets/efl-documents/201819/efl-youth-development-charter-players-and-parents-guide-2018-19--e-book4.pdf

Looking at that I'm not sure your interpretation is correct. Those are the figures only up to being in the U16 cohort (rule 322) but Delap has been playing for our U18s. As such it's either an agreed fee or goes to the professional compensation committee.

It comes down to whether it's the age of the player or the team they play in. But given the vast fees the big clubs across Europe for promising youngsters, I feel it has to be the team they play in.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Looking at that I'm not sure your interpretation is correct. Those are the figures only up to being in the U16 cohort (rule 322) but Delap has been playing for our U18s. As such it's either an agreed fee or goes to the professional compensation committee.

It comes down to whether it's the age of the player or the team they play in. But given the vast fees the big clubs across Europe for promising youngsters, I feel it has to be the team they play in.

Or age? At 16 he is no longer under 16

Peterborough have made about £50 million profit (according to themselves) developing and then selling players over the past 10 years. I would rather we keep our youth and bring them through to the first team, but if we can get some good sell on clauses our academy could be a good money maker that could help to keep us compliant FFp wise. Don't know anything about Liam Delap, so can't say I'm too cut up about him leaving especially if its for £1.2 million.

If Prem teams want to come in for multiple players from our academy and under 23's, longer team it's a great thing. We'd be in for a windfall if one ends up moving on elsewhere for £20m. Unfortunately that's the reality now. You can earn just as much through future transfers as you would keeping hold of them for a couple more seasons and selling them. 

12 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

If Prem teams want to come in for multiple players from our academy and under 23's, longer team it's a great thing. We'd be in for a windfall if one ends up moving on elsewhere for £20m. Unfortunately that's the reality now. You can earn just as much through future transfers as you would keeping hold of them for a couple more seasons and selling them. 

Exactly this, players from city’s academy are being sold for £10m plus and have never even had a sniff of the first team. 

If all the reported fees are correct, £10m for Bogle, £3.5 for Sibley, £1.2 for Delap and £1m for Thomas. £15.7m for players that’s have cost us nothing, this is exactly what Mel wanted to achieve with the academy, taken a few years but it’s starting to reap its rewards. 

For what it’s worth I was told Bournemouth are in for serious talks with Morgan Whittaker, unsurprising after the goals and assists he racked up this season. 

8 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Exactly this, players from city’s academy are being sold for £10m plus and have never even had a sniff of the first team. 

If all the reported fees are correct, £10m for Bogle, £3.5 for Sibley, £1.2 for Delap and £1m for Thomas. £15.7m for players that’s have cost us nothing, this is exactly what Mel wanted to achieve with the academy, taken a few years but it’s starting to reap its rewards. 

For what it’s worth I was told Bournemouth are in for serious talks with Morgan Whittaker, unsurprising after the goals and assists he racked up this season. 

Where is the talk of Sibley to Wolves coming from? I'll be livid if we get rid of one of our brightest prospects.

Morgan Whittaker seems a star in the making, I'll be gutted If he goes too.

It is a result of the Clement season still haunting us.

5 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Where is the talk of Sibley to Wolves coming from? I'll be livid if we get rid of one of our brightest prospects.

Sibley to Wolves has been a rumour since this January at least. From the sounds of it though, it sounds like Wolves are after him but we don't want to get rid of him.

5 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Saw a post on here regarding Sibley, the bloke apparently claiming to be the same person who first spoke about Delap to city.

In an ideal world yes these players would go onto play in the first team for years on end but selling younger players with big sell on fees isn’t a bad thing. If bigger clubs come knocking on the door with money these not a lot we can do In all honesty. 

14 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Or we could play them in our first team and watch their value rocket. Southampton sold off their youngsters for over 100 million. Why are we hyping up 15 million for 4 players all with a lot of potential?

We want Lampard to stay and build, we need to do the same with the academy. Long term not short term.

4 minutes ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

Or we could play them in our first team and watch their value rocket. Southampton sold off their youngsters for over 100 million. Why are we hyping up 15 million for 4 players all with a lot of potential?

We want Lampard to stay and build, we need to do the same with the academy. Long term not short term.

I guess it’s a gamble knowing when to see and when to keep hold. If Sibley comes in and has a few bad games we mighty get nothing for him and he may never achieve his potential. You only have to look at Max Bird, won apprentice of the year and very highly rated in the academy but a couple of average cameos and I’ve seen people on here writing him off already.

Archived