Liam Delap - Signed for Man City

52 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Do we normally announce if a youth team player leaves? He wouldn't have been on a pro contract would he?

I wouldn't have thought so, but with the fee that was apparently involved I thought they may have announced.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, RamontheMoor said:

Wonder how much the compensation will be? Peanuts I guess.

Just over £1m, I've heard.

6 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

£1.6m for Delap and £1.2m for Thomas, wasn’t it? I think WBA got more for their u16 player that was pinched by City though. 

That sounds right.

And yeah they got £4m - but that player is a better prospect than Delap, from what I've heard. 

I approve of Man City spending big on such huge risks like this, as with English talent the market is so inflated they only have to get to a Championship level of player for them to make a profit. 
I'm also not unhappy to trade Delap for that money, so many u16s look like world beaters every year - and then you go to see how they're doing a few years later and they didn't even make it to the U23 side ? 

Sure, if he becomes prem quality or better then shucks but the odds are on our side of this transaction. As far as our U18s go it's Sibley and Whittaker we need to keep hold of. The latter at least until he shows his true colours ? 

7 minutes ago, David said:

Louie Barry went to Barcelona if that’s who you’re thinking of, went for peanuts where as they would have got £4m had he gone to City

Nah Morgan Rogers went to Man City for £4m

Louie Barry went to Barca for 235k

Both from WBA's U16s

Rogers is the better prospect, mind - but Barry would have netted them £2-£3m if he went to an English club.

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

Both from WBA's U16s

Rogers is the better prospect, mind - but Barry would have netted them £2-£3m if he went to an English club.

Ahh, didn’t realise they had another. Would have been a nice double check had Barry gone as well. 

1 minute ago, David said:

Ahh, didn’t realise they had another. Would have been a nice double check had Barry gone as well. 

Part of the departures are due to WBA Academy seemingly having a bit of a clearout, perhaps in preparation for a restructure - which would also explain Mike Scott applying for our vacant academy role (that wasn't us headhunting, it was an open listed vacancy). They might be about to downsize their academy and when you do that, it wont be long before the better younger talents (who will be 2-4 years away from first team involvement) just leave, and then go to another academy some time later for nothing. 

So when that happens, you basically hand all agency to the player. In other circumstances, they might have been able to persuade Barry to go somewhere in England and net them more compensation - although if Barca are in for you even then they might have struggled.

It does seem like a kick in the teeth but I'm not sure they're as upset as the press suggest. £4.2m for 2 U16s is great business, even if it could have been better.

3 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Both from WBA's U16s

I would suggest that WBA play their youngsters behind closed doors until they are under contract!

Archived