Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MackworthRamIsGod

Liam Delap - Signed for Man City

Recommended Posts

I guess it comes down to how much risk or faith we are prepared to place on the academy.

Personally, I would far rather we reject all of these offers and start building the team from the grass roots level. A project which develops over time, rather than throwing money at it and signing the next group of Butterfields. 

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Exactly this, players from city’s academy are being sold for £10m plus and have never even had a sniff of the first team. 

If all the reported fees are correct, £10m for Bogle, £3.5 for Sibley, £1.2 for Delap and £1m for Thomas. £15.7m for players that’s have cost us nothing, this is exactly what Mel wanted to achieve with the academy, taken a few years but it’s starting to reap its rewards. 

For what it’s worth I was told Bournemouth are in for serious talks with Morgan Whittaker, unsurprising after the goals and assists he racked up this season. 

And then possibly £10/15/20m in the future too because of sell on clauses. 

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

Or we could play them in our first team and watch their value rocket. Southampton sold off their youngsters for over 100 million. Why are we hyping up 15 million for 4 players all with a lot of potential?

We want Lampard to stay and build, we need to do the same with the academy. Long term not short term.

Problem with keeping hold of them we could end up with a Hughes situation where they go for pittance compared to previous rumoured prices. Thats why you put sell on clauses into deals, example being John Stones when Barnsley sold him to Everton, got a good payout when City spent big on him.

Share this post


Link to post

Maybe I think we are a bigger club with higher aspirations than some, selling our best young players to clubs like Bournemouth is not the way forward.

Hughes was sold for a pittance in the end, but it was still 8 million. I would rather that journey and the memories of those moments than the let's sell now because we have been offered a million, sell on clause or not.

Share this post


Link to post

I know it’s been said already, but I’ll reiterate the point: Derby County have no say in this; we can either negotiate a fee or let a committee deem the correct fee.

All the best to the lad, obviously it cuts his first team chances down by some way but he will be around some of the best players in the world aiding his development. He will no doubt be paid handsomely for his services too. City are a good club and will look after him. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

I guess it comes down to how much risk or faith we are prepared to place on the academy.

Personally, I would far rather we reject all of these offers and start building the team from the grass roots level. A project which develops over time, rather than throwing money at it and signing the next group of Butterfields. 

The thing with the academy is that once we start producing year after year, more youngsters will want to start coming in from u7s right through to pre-scholar because they can see what the academy is producing. 

I think it's a win win situation whether we sell or don't. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

Problem with keeping hold of them we could end up with a Hughes situation where they go for pittance compared to previous rumoured prices. Thats why you put sell on clauses into deals, example being John Stones when Barnsley sold him to Everton, got a good payout when City spent big on him.

Will went for a pittance as we had made it known we didn't want him and we also were not playing him in our championship team at the end of the previous season.  Hardly the way to get top dollar.

There is frankly no point having an academy if players don't make first team and at least play a season or two as their value increases.

Running an academy to break even at beat with the odd sale is madness and not what the strategy is. 

Bogle value is it going to increase and his playing level will only increase. So I hope we can keep him for another season at least.  Yes he could get an injury and not be sold for anyrhjng like his current value but that applies to all players. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Igorlegend11 said:

Will went for a pittance as we had made it known we didn't want him and we also were not playing him in our championship team at the end of the previous season.  Hardly the way to get top dollar.

There is frankly no point having an academy if players don't make first team and at least play a season or two as their value increases.

Running an academy to break even at beat with the odd sale is madness and not what the strategy is. 

Bogle value is it going to increase and his playing level will only increase. So I hope we can keep him for another season at least.  Yes he could get an injury and not be sold for anyrhjng like his current value but that applies to all players. 

 

That’s the beauty of having the current set up. Lampard and Morris actually want to integrate the academy with the first team. 

I’m guessing that Mel Morris didn’t expect it to happen this quickly when he first appointed them a year ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, CHCDerby said:

That’s the beauty of having the current set up. Lampard and Morris actually want to integrate the academy with the first team. 

I’m guessing that Mel Morris didn’t expect it to happen this quickly when he first appointed them a year ago. 

I think Bogle must have been known to be near to first team level. It was nt summer coaching that got him into first team, just his attacking skillful play and speed.  

We have had other youngsters close to team, and have imho proved max lowe is nt championship standard.

It's a bit season to see if we can integrate some more youngsters into team this next season.  The fact we are pushing for top6 minimum makes it harder for us to being in youth than say Brentford or Millwall.  

Frank is a winner....so to.me it was a no brainwr to keep playing Bogle. 

Max Bird looks really tidy and promising....but, hardly featured.  So I'd say Frank correctly  picks his best team for each match regardless of age or background 

Share this post


Link to post

Going on Transfermarkt's records, if he goes for £1.2m that would place him as the 37th largest amount of money we have received from the sale of a player, ahead of Paul Williams to Coventry but behind Mark Pembridge to Wednesday. I don't know whether that makes this very good business or is a depressing sign of our ability to sign players with good resale value.

Share this post


Link to post

Terribly sad to see the dire financial situation the club finds itself in that it has to resort to sell off its assets on the cheap.

For a club like Derby, the only viable future is based around developing home grown players to feed the first team. To avoid the need to pay the inflated prices driven by the competitive market place. And to exploit that market place once they have established themselves, if required. 

For Rams to go out into the market place to buy ready made players to fit straight into the first team will cost significant funds , way, way more than we could ever recoup from selling a junior from the development squad for the odd £1m . You can’t buy a peripheral winger nowadays ( like josezoon) without forking out £3m. Or an ageing striker who’s best days are behind him ( like nugent) for £2m. Or a proven striker who is deemed not to be fit enough to start ( like Marroit) for £3-5m. 

Elsnick goes for nothing, despite playing league football for the last two seasons. Thomas goes for a million . Both never given a chance in the first team. And now delap, a player who has caught the eye of the best team in England. 

Talk about selling the Crown Jewels ! 

What on Earth is going on ? 

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think the decision for Delap to leave is the club's. At that age they can do what they want with compensation arranged. I would imagine he lives closer to Manchester too. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, R@M said:

I don't think the decision for Delap to leave is the club's. At that age they can do what they want with compensation arranged. I would imagine he lives closer to Manchester too. 

The Delaps live somewhere between Derby and Ashbourne 

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

Terribly sad to see the dire financial situation the club finds itself in that it has to resort to sell off its assets on the cheap.

For a club like Derby, the only viable future is based around developing home grown players to feed the first team. To avoid the need to pay the inflated prices driven by the competitive market place. And to exploit that market place once they have established themselves, if required. 

For Rams to go out into the market place to buy ready made players to fit straight into the first team will cost significant funds , way, way more than we could ever recoup from selling a junior from the development squad for the odd £1m . You can’t buy a peripheral winger nowadays ( like josezoon) without forking out £3m. Or an ageing striker who’s best days are behind him ( like nugent) for £2m. Or a proven striker who is deemed not to be fit enough to start ( like Marroit) for £3-5m. 

Elsnick goes for nothing, despite playing league football for the last two seasons. Thomas goes for a million . Both never given a chance in the first team. And now delap, a player who has caught the eye of the best team in England. 

Talk about selling the Crown Jewels ! 

What on Earth is going on ? 

I'll tell you what's going on. 'Fans' being far too quick to stick the boot in at the first opportunity - that's what's going on. Elsnik is another of those young players sent out on loan on the back of extremely high fan expectations but failing to produce the goods when it mattered - three mediocre loan spells in 18 months.

Has Thomas gone - NO! If he does go will it be for £1m? I haven't a clue and I'm quite sure neither have you. Delap is 16 and a million miles from a first team squad place let alone a starting role - he might be in 3 or 4 years time but that at his age and given the rules relating to very young players, Derby are in an impossible position if and when a club of Man City's stature begins to show an interest.

But hey, don't let the frequent nonsense that is social media stop you from criticising our club.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

I'll tell you what's going on. 'Fans' being far too quick to stick the boot in at the first opportunity - that's what's going on. Elsnik is another of those young players sent out on loan on the back of extremely high fan expectations but failing to produce the goods when it mattered - three mediocre loan spells in 18 months.

Has Thomas gone - NO! If he does go will it be for £1m? I haven't a clue and I'm quite sure neither have you. Delap is 16 and a million miles from a first team squad place let alone a starting role - he might be in 3 or 4 years time but that at his age and given the rules relating to very young players, Derby are in an impossible position if and when a club of Man City's stature begins to show an interest.

But hey, don't let the frequent nonsense that is social media stop you from criticising our club.

Come back when you have a coherent and logical point to make in support of your argument 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, BobbyD said:

Terribly sad to see the dire financial situation the club finds itself in that it has to resort to sell off its assets on the cheap.

For a club like Derby, the only viable future is based around developing home grown players to feed the first team. To avoid the need to pay the inflated prices driven by the competitive market place. And to exploit that market place once they have established themselves, if required. 

For Rams to go out into the market place to buy ready made players to fit straight into the first team will cost significant funds , way, way more than we could ever recoup from selling a junior from the development squad for the odd £1m . You can’t buy a peripheral winger nowadays ( like josezoon) without forking out £3m. Or an ageing striker who’s best days are behind him ( like nugent) for £2m. Or a proven striker who is deemed not to be fit enough to start ( like Marroit) for £3-5m. 

Elsnick goes for nothing, despite playing league football for the last two seasons. Thomas goes for a million . Both never given a chance in the first team. And now delap, a player who has caught the eye of the best team in England. 

Talk about selling the Crown Jewels ! 

What on Earth is going on ? 

Elsnick hasn't really impressed anywhere he's been so it doesn't look like he's good enough. I'd be sad about Luke Thomas but again if we're letting him go he might not quite cut the mustard and a million is a pretty decent fee. With regards to Delap there's very little we can do because he'll be on a youth contract, so it's not really the clubs fault. We'll just have to hope the tribunal get us a good fee for him.

Also I'd say the crown jewels with regards to youth are Bogle and some of key members of our u18 squad like Sibley and Whittaker.

Share this post


Link to post

You don't get to keep hold of 16 year old, non professional players, if a team comes in for them and they want to go.

You get no say in the matter. We have absolutely no means by which to keep hold of him.

Not about asking price, not about his contract, if a 16 year old without a pro contract wants to leave they can just leave.

 

If we are getting £1.2m that is an astronomical fee for this kind of deal and not to be sniffed at, but I find it very hard to believe. But then again Man City can probably afford to spend 1.2m on a gamble like this.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.