Liam Delap - Signed for Man City

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

If the fee is true in this case and in the case of Thomas... 2.4m for 2 players not near our first team is a lot of money. We have a big rebuild job this summer. That money could fund 3 or 4 players who will be in the first team this season

1/4 of the way to bringing Tomori back

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Beat you to it on the edit once I’d read it properly? 

I’d be surprised to see sky reporting on a 16 year old if they were making it up still tho regardless. Hardly likely bring in clicks

I just put 450 quid on Delap signing for City tomorrow with Skybet. Thanks for the heads up on the deal Sky. Easy money.

Very surprised by this. From what I’ve seen, Man City youth’s are all very quick and agile. Delap isn’t slow but he certainly doesn’t match the ‘speedsters’ they typically go for. I wouldn’t expect him to have much more of a better chance of making it as a pro player from being there as here. If he lives over in Cheshire (a strong possibility), then it may make logistical sense to move to a club closer to home).

His natural ability is clear to see from his record at junior level but has somewhat struggled when stepping up to the U18s, a bit like when Whittaker has played for the U23s. Not quite ready for that level at the time springs to mind.

Whittaker will he stepping up to the U23s this coming season, so we could have seen Delap stepping in. But, we also have Stretton who scored 14 in 14 starts (18 U18 apps) who I back to have another storming season and perhaps even bettering Whittaker’s record. From what I’ve seen, Stretton has that natural goalscorers instinct whereas Delap has a better all-round game. It would be between these two to lead the line if both are here (unless we went with 2 up top of course).

£1.2m plus add-ons will be a good deal now, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go for £10m+ before he turns 20.

21 minutes ago, Ramitupper said:

Gotta say, if MCFC want him - shouldn't we be keeping him?

I'd rather sell some dross for a few hundred thousand each, than sell the best youth players... 

Depends on a lot of things. Certain scenarios mean it’s down to Delap choosing if he wants to stay and if another club wants him. All we can do is show him there’s an obvious route to first team football if he stays. 

1 hour ago, Parsnip said:

This is brilliant news - just shows that the academy is doing what it's supposed to. What an asset it will be.

What's Rory doing these days? Didn't he bugger off with Gary?

Paying for Blackmans next season long jolly to a Spanish second division team or maybe a masseuse to ease Anya and Butterfields aching glutes from all that sitting on benches. 

It's so difficult to predict what the future holds for a lad that age. We have to adopt a better business model for the academy, so it makes money rather than sucking it up. 

Liam is indeed highly rated but you can't stand in a player's way if the treble-winners come in for him and offer a decent wedge. And it shows the other academy youngsters that if they do well for us there's not just a pathway into our first team but also to the league champions. 

It's great we have category A status or else our best players could be nabbed for nothing. 

As much as I would love to keep all of the promising youth players and see how they do...

If Man City want to pay £1.2 million for one of our 16 year olds who hasn't featured much for us, snap their hands off! Sometimes we will have to make short term decisions for the benefit of the club.

It’s my recollection that players who were in the EFL academies were only entitled to compensation for each year of development.

Having looked, for Category 1 it’s £40,000 per year, so I highly doubt we’re getting the cash quoted...

(Rules 325 -328)

https://www.efl.com/siteassets/efl-documents/201819/efl-youth-development-charter-players-and-parents-guide-2018-19--e-book4.pdf

Morning everyone, I’m new to this forum but I am the one who broke the delap story for £1.2 million to city on Twitter. I’m told for delap himself as soon as he turns 18 he receives a payment of £200,000, not a bad 18th birthday! Rory is thought to be unhappy with Liam as he believes he is going for the money and not the best career choice, Rory wanted him at stoke. In other news wolves have been scouting Louie Sibley for around 1 and a half years and and are considering at £3.5 million bid- Derby are thought to be desperate to keep him, our youth successes are certainly bringing in some cash which is not a surprise!

Archived