Liam Delap - Signed for Man City

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would be a shame if he did go, but it's something that happens to clubs of our size and smaller at the best of times, and with the success of our academy this year I've fully expected the big Premier League clubs to try and come poaching. If it happens, then to me it just underlines how much we need to get players in and around our first-team squad. It's not as tempting to move to a big club with no guarantee of success if a clear path to breaking through here is an option. Just hope we get some good contracts with sell-on fees and the like if we do end up with players going elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, JfR said:

Would be a shame if he did go, but it's something that happens to clubs of our size and smaller at the best of times, and with the success of our academy this year I've fully expected the big Premier League clubs to try and come poaching. If it happens, then to me it just underlines how much we need to get players in and around our first-team squad. It's not as tempting to move to a big club with no guarantee of success if a clear path to breaking through here is an option. Just hope we get some good contracts with sell-on fees and the like if we do end up with players going elsewhere.

I had vaguely heard of Liam Delap but as i say, I wasn't aware he was highly rated.

Given that he is 16 I wouldn't have expected him to have been around the first team yet and with it being Man City coming in for him you cant blame the lad for going.

1.2 million for a lad who hasn't kicked a ball for the first team can't be sniffed at.

Just now, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I had vaguely heard of Liam Delap but as i say, I wasn't aware he was highly rated.

Given that he is 16 I wouldn't have expected him to have been around the first team yet and with it being Man City coming in for him you cant blame the lad for going.

1.2 million for a lad who hasn't kicked a ball for the first team can't be sniffed at.

Doesn't he score goals for fun?

Rob Dorsett's saying it, also. 

It's a shame we're selling some of our best youth prospects, but it clearly shows that Mel's investment is starting to pay dividends.

Man city is too much of a pull for anyone, unfortunately. 

Would be damn good compensation for him in all fairness, but given the success of our youth teams frankly I’d be disappointed to lose anyone we don’t want to to anyone. Particulary given bogles shown the pathway in, surely youngsters would want to stay here and get that chance rather than rot in the reserves/ constant loans at a big club.

Mind it’s a Twitter rumour so I’m far from convinced..

EDIT: Actually scrap that, Dorsett wouldn’t report on something like this if it wasn’t happening. Disappointed but what can we do. Decent money at least. Mind he doesn’t know everything as Rory left last year...

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Actually scrap that, Dorsett wouldn’t report on something like this if it wasn’t happening

Dorsett doesn't even know that Rory Delap left us for Stoke a year ago.

5 minutes ago, LB_DCFC said:

Rob Dorsett's saying it, also. 

It's a shame we're selling some of our best youth prospects, but it clearly shows that Mel's investment is starting to pay dividends.

Man city is too much of a pull for anyone, unfortunately. 

I thought Rory had effed off to Stoke

4 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Yeah, I didn't necessarily mean Delap needed to be around the first team, he's too young for that to realistically have been the case, but I think with some of the older boys, the ones that more frequently were in the U18 squad last year for example, it's vital that we keep them in the first team picture. 

2 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Dorsett doesn't even know that Rory Delap left us for Stoke a year ago.

Beat you to it on the edit once I’d read it properly? 

I’d be surprised to see sky reporting on a 16 year old if they were making it up still tho regardless. Hardly likely bring in clicks

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Beat you to it on the edit once I’d read it properly? 

I’d be surprised to see sky reporting on a 16 year old if they were making it up still tho regardless. Hardly likely bring in clicks

Could just be a rumour aimed at the legion of long throw connoisseurs out there

If the fee is true in this case and in the case of Thomas... 2.4m for 2 players not near our first team is a lot of money. We have a big rebuild job this summer. That money could fund 3 or 4 players who will be in the first team this season

Archived