Is Jody Morris working too hard?

Rev

I know he's paid well, but are we pushing Jody too hard?

He signed up as Frank's 1st team assistant, probably seeing it as a welcome promotion from youth team management.

Yet he's landed at Derby, where according to some posters he's not only Franks right hand man, but also selects the U-23 and below squads, is responsible for selecting which players from those set ups come and go and at what price, and decides who makes the 1st team squad or not from our youngsters.

Thank god he's here to guide us, and help Walker and Wassall.

I'm amazed he finds the time to post pics of him necking champers from the bottle while dressed in his pants, never mind sort 1st team training out.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, reveldevil said:

I know he's paid well, but are we pushing Jody too hard?

He signed up as Frank's 1st team assistant, probably seeing it as a welcome promotion from youth team management.

Yet he's landed at Derby, where according to some posters he's not only Franks right hand man, but also selects the U-23 and below squads, is responsible for selecting which players from those set ups come and go and at what price, and decides who makes the 1st team squad or not from our youngsters.

Thank god he's here to guide us, and help Walker and Wassall.

I'm amazed he finds the time to post pics of him necking champers from the bottle while dressed in his pants, never mind sort 1st team training out.

He also has to put up with his best mate who, judging by his Twitter, is a prize twit.

If he’s enjoying it then it won’t be feeling like hard work. 

Glad we’ve got him. I reckon he is going to be responsible for our academy bringing us more first team players (or cash) than for many a year.  

You can understand why Kevin Phillips chose to leave the club now, he was individually responsible for every players shooting ability, all eyes were on him after every shot wide or hitting the woodwork.

54 minutes ago, David said:

You can understand why Kevin Phillips chose to leave the club now, he was individually responsible for every players shooting ability, all eyes were on him after every shot wide or hitting the woodwork.

Where's he gone now? 

I would imagine that Jody's duties are the same as any other first team coach. He will coach the first team, plus any youth/academy players that are sent/needed, and will assess every single player to see if they are adequate for the first team squad on the next match day. I would think that Frank will then use the information given to him, with input from the rest of the coaching team, to decide on the actual composition of the team.

Where I think that Jody, and indeed Frank, will have a more hands on approach (can't think of a better way of wording it) is that they actually watch more academy games with an interest in actually bringing players into the first team set up. Other managers haven't seemed to have a desire to promote youth, whereas the current incumbents actually are looking to do it.

So, Jody probably isn't doing more work than many previous first team coaches (no idea how much any of them have actually done), just following a different route.

3 hours ago, richinspain said:

He was coaching Stoke's super potent attack, before getting the sack and being replaced by someone who I believe did an even worse job of it. No idea where he is now though.

As with managers it's a fine line between just getting a known name and getting a name and talent?

5 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

He is first team coach full stop. Darren Wassell is overall responsible for the kids. Deserves much credit as well. Not that he gets it. 

That's true. Deserves great credit I think. He could easily have given us 2 fingers after his experience as first team coach.

14 hours ago, jono said:

If he’s enjoying it then it won’t be feeling like hard work. 

Glad we’ve got him. I reckon he is going to be responsible for our academy bringing us more first team players (or cash) than for many a year.  

Yes, when you enjoy your job with a passion, you tend to handle the workload and soak up any pressure in a way that you would not in a job that you didn't like (which is the case for most folk). 

28 minutes ago, europia said:

Yes, when you enjoy your job with a passion, you tend to handle the workload and soak up any pressure in a way that you would not in a job that you didn't like (which is the case for most folk). 

So true, and having just had a wonderful evening out i’m Feeling mellow and happy, yet my work was/is a means to an end. My wife on the other hand has worked like a dog in a high pressure environment but loved it at the same time. She freely confesses that tough though it was at times, it was most often an enjoyable challenge rather than a slog 

life is a curious melange of emotions 

Archived