King Billy

DarkFruitsRam7

4 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

You know as well as I do that if he had gone to Motherwell after being wrongly sacked by us then no one would care. 

And I have been in the pop side on numerous occasions with everyone chanting songs about Brian Clough being a frequent user of the toilets at Hillsborough. 

shocked wait what GIF by Shalita Grant

Do Brian Clough and I share something that I don't know about?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As fetishes go, man-crushing on Billy Davies is possibly the weirdest I've come across.

BD was a very odd man, impossible to like even when he was doing well for us, let alone when he was making us the laughing stock of the Premier League.

34 minutes ago, Highgate said:

As fetishes go, man-crushing on Billy Davies is possibly the weirdest I've come across.

BD was a very odd man, impossible to like even when he was doing well for us, let alone when he was making us the laughing stock of the Premier League.

Everyone loved him at the final whistle at Wembley.

watch him deny it

1 hour ago, David said:

Again I haven’t mentioned Burley so I’m not sure why you keep bringing him up, I’m talking about Billy Davies, not Phil Brown, Paul Jewell or anyone else.

So you think Billy Davies football is outdated and unemployable after just 5 years?

Do you not think he appears to be unemployable because Billy Davies is Billy Davies, a man that appears to be slightly unhinged and clubs wouldn’t feel comfortable with him in charge?

I would argue it’s his behaviour that has made him unemployable, not football changed. His ability to get the best out of players over a short term period would be in demand if he wasn’t missing a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

The few sandwiches comments made me spit my tea out on my desk..nice one.

Yep I think he is a total basket case and if I was a chairman I wouldn't give him a job.....BUT, he has been the best manager we have had in 20+ years.

3 hours ago, David said:

Siege mentality only works with lower paid players, try it with your top players and they will look at you gone out.

Not sure how true that is. 

Taraabt ripped the league apart playing under Warnock.

2 hours ago, Boycie said:

watch him deny it

That's football fans for you....partizan and illogical. Hindsight is wiser. 

I'd rather Rowett back in charge.  And that's a sentence I'd never thought i'd say. 

6 hours ago, David said:

Again I haven’t mentioned Burley so I’m not sure why you keep bringing him up, I’m talking about Billy Davies, not Phil Brown, Paul Jewell or anyone else.

So you think Billy Davies football is outdated and unemployable after just 5 years?

Do you not think he appears to be unemployable because Billy Davies is Billy Davies, a man that appears to be slightly unhinged and clubs wouldn’t feel comfortable with him in charge?

I would argue it’s his behaviour that has made him unemployable, not football changed. His ability to get the best out of players over a short term period would be in demand if he wasn’t missing a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

So why did you bring up Liverpool earlier in a reply to him on this thread? 

7 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

So why did you bring up Liverpool earlier in a reply to him on this thread? 

Once. He has well known set in stone views on Liverpool, my point was being aware I’m unlikely to change his mind. I was not questioning him on Liverpool though. Find anywhere I have spoken about George Burley before.

43 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Now you’re getting it. 

The logic of most successful = best based on promotions is flawed.

Roy Keane has the same number of promotions to the Premier League as Billy Davies.

Roy Keane has more promotions than Marcelo Bielsa.

Ian Holloway has 2, which is level with Mick McCarthy and Jokanovic.

I don’t see many Derby fans calling for Holloway or McCarthy as manager. 

You can also have situations like a club has been in administration, points deduction, a manager has kept them up and gone on to take them outside the play offs. They haven’t gone up, but would the better manager be the one which had X millions to spend and took them up and down in a year?

Best will always be subjective.

12 hours ago, Boycie said:

watch him deny it

I’ve read he said that he would have preferred it if it was Preston.  Never heard hin actually say that so was it true?

One more thing to throw out there. 

Chris Wilder won the LMA Manager of the Year, beating Guardiola who won the domestic treble. 

Whilst there is no question of who the better manager is, Wilder won the award for the context of his achievements.

Clearly in terms of success Guardiola’s treble will always be seen as the greater of the 2, but context matters. 

So when you narrow it down to one club, who was the best, context matters. Some will view it purely down to trophies, others will look at the state of the club, academy, style of football etc. Which is why it will always be subjective.

Archived