King Billy

DarkFruitsRam7

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

Taking the promotion out of it, and focusing on all aspects of a manager and his teams, Burley, Clough, McClaren & Lampard are better Derby County managers.  Mainly because their football is/was better to watch, they conducted themselves in a decent manner, and didn't sign an abundance of over priced crap like Mackem, Pearson, Fagen, Davis, and Eddie F***** Lewis!!!

Yes he got us promoted, despite being under the cosh for 80 out 90 minutes at Wembley.  But we all know what happened when he suddenly had to mix it with the big boys...

But....he got us promoted I like all the other managers you mentioned who failed to do so. We finished 3rd, miles ahead of West Brom who we beat in the play offs. 

Conducting themselves in a better manner...do you think any Man United fan gives a toss about how Ferguson conducted himself all those years...? Or closer to home...does anyone give a hoot how Brian Clough conducted himself all those years...?

too many people have blinkers on with Billy just because he went to Forest, it’s pathetic. 

He got us promoted....no one else since Smith has done this. Whatever he said and did afterwards doesn’t matter, he got us promoted. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

too many people have blinkers on with Billy just because he went to Forest, it’s pathetic. 

Brian Clough also went to Forest, I don’t see his managerial ability ever questioned. 

Maybe going to Forest has nothing to do with it ??‍♂️

17 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

But....he got us promoted I like all the other managers you mentioned who failed to do so. We finished 3rd, miles ahead of West Brom who we beat in the play offs. 

Conducting themselves in a better manner...do you think any Man United fan gives a toss about how Ferguson conducted himself all those years...? Or closer to home...does anyone give a hoot how Brian Clough conducted himself all those years...?

He got us promoted....no one else since Smith has done this. Whatever he said and did afterwards doesn’t matter, he got us promoted. 

Comparing him to the likes of Clough Snr & Fergie.  You are in fact R2-D2 himself, and I claim my £5...

Just now, David said:

Brian Clough also went to Forest, I don’t see his managerial ability questioned. 

No, going to Fo***t has nothing to do with it.  It's the fact he's an odious little s***-weasel who isn't a very good manager.  Despite all his self-proclaimed greatness he's taken a single team up, and failed miserably everywhere else.  He's a cut price Neil Warnock.  At least Warnock has a shred of humility about him.

2 hours ago, David said:

Brian Clough also went to Forest, I don’t see his managerial ability ever questioned. 

You know as well as I do that if he had gone to Motherwell after being wrongly sacked by us then no one would care. 

And I have been in the pop side on numerous occasions with everyone chanting songs about Brian Clough being a frequent user of the toilets at Hillsborough. 

44 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

You know as well as I do that if he had gone to Motherwell after being wrongly sacked by us then no one would care. 

And I have been in the pop side on numerous occasions with everyone chanting songs about Brian Clough being a frequent user of the toilets at Hillsborough. 

I don’t know that at all, I would argue his words on the pitch at Wembley annoyed more fans than turning up at Forest doorstep. 

You also only have to look at the reaction to Rowett’s football last season to understand why Billy’s brand of football wasn’t going to win many fans over, and his personality does him no favours either, similar to Rowett.

For what it’s worth I think many believe we would have been better with him staying than bringing in Paul Jewell, but fans wouldn’t have taken to him still in the same way they would other managers.

Look, we know your opinions on Billy are set in stone as they are with Liverpool and no amount of facts will change your mind, but don’t for a second believe people’s dislike for him was down to managing Forest. 

He’s also been out of work now for 5 years, ask yourself why. 

3 hours ago, David said:

I don’t know that at all, I would argue his words on the pitch at Wembley annoyed more fans than turning up at Forest doorstep. 

You also only have to look at the reaction to Rowett’s football last season to understand why Billy’s brand of football wasn’t going to win many fans over, and his personality does him no favours either, similar to Rowett.

For what it’s worth I think many believe we would have been better with him staying than bringing in Paul Jewell, but fans wouldn’t have taken to him still in the same way they would other managers.

Look, we know your opinions on Billy are set in stone as they are with Liverpool and no amount of facts will change your mind, but don’t for a second believe people’s dislike for him was down to managing Forest. 

He’s also been out of work now for 5 years, ask yourself why. 

and George Burley...?

25 minutes ago, David said:

I haven’t said a word about George Burley.

Why do you think no clubs have touched Billy Davies?

Because he causes trouble in the club when things do go his way, or he feels he’s not got the financial backing he deserves regards players *shudder.

but,

He got us promoted, if the club could of accessed the Prem money earlier and had some serious money men behind them they should of booted Billy straight after Wembley and got someone decent in without such a large hole in their face.

But we left it too long, the bee remained in his wee bonnet and the rest is history.

Saying all this, he got us to the Prem. Nobody else has since, and Mels gone on record saying winning games is all that matters (during the Rowett period).  

If someone had a crystal ball and told him Billy mark2 would guarantee promotion to the prem, do you think he’d have him?

Cause he would. We all would.  

Or would you prefer to miss out but have played pretty football?

7 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Because he causes trouble in the club when things do go his way, or he feels he’s not got the financial backing he deserves regards players *shudder.

but,

He got us promoted, if the club could of accessed the Prem money earlier and had some serious money men behind them they should of booted Billy straight after Wembley and got someone decent in without such a large hole in their face.

But we left it too long, the bee remained in his wee bonnet and the rest is history.

Saying all this, he got us to the Prem. Nobody else has since, and Mels gone on record saying winning games is all that matters (during the Rowett period).  

If someone had a crystal ball and told him Billy mark2 would guarantee promotion to the prem, do you think he’d have him?

Exactly...everyone would rather us be George Grahams Arsenal than Kevin Keegans Newcaslte….it would be nice to have the success of Graham with the football of Keegan of course!

16 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Throughout the Rowett tenure I always said it’s results first and stand by that. If your crystal ball said Billy would take us up I would have him back and dump him straight away, his methods are extremely short term motivational speeches to get the best out the players, it’s not something that can be sustained as he’s shown.

22 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Why do you think no clubs have touched Burley?

because football has changed, it has passed them by now.

Again I haven’t mentioned Burley so I’m not sure why you keep bringing him up, I’m talking about Billy Davies, not Phil Brown, Paul Jewell or anyone else.

So you think Billy Davies football is outdated and unemployable after just 5 years?

Do you not think he appears to be unemployable because Billy Davies is Billy Davies, a man that appears to be slightly unhinged and clubs wouldn’t feel comfortable with him in charge?

I would argue it’s his behaviour that has made him unemployable, not football changed. His ability to get the best out of players over a short term period would be in demand if he wasn’t missing a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

8 minutes ago, David said:

Throughout the Rowett tenure I always said it’s results first and stand by that. If your crystal ball said Billy would take us up I would have him back and dump him straight away, his methods are extremely short term motivational speeches to get the best out the players, it’s not something that can be sustained as he’s shown.

It’s nice that you agree with me then. ?

7 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Billy Davies and Neil Warnock, peas out the same pod.

Motivation, us against the world.  Sometimes it comes off, especially if the players are on low wages.

Siege mentality only works with lower paid players, try it with your top players and they will look at you gone out.

To be a fair a few dodgy referee decisions hurt Cardiff last season, could have quite easily stayed up which is why I don’t buy this football has changed. 

Prediction, Warnock doesn’t make it till Christmas. He would also have been gone had they stayed up due to the limited time this siege mentality works.

If you hand Warnock or Davies the keys to the managers office, keep them on a short leash and be start looking for their replacement immediately. Limited money, no decisions on youth team players. 2 seasons max.

Archived