Women’s World Cup 2019

DarkFruitsRam7

20 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Whats the point of VAR if the referee and the five people in the VAR control room, bottle the decision of giving a clear penalty. Was it more a case of not wanting to further upset the Cameroon players than to uphold the rules of the game.

About as much point as the one in the France Brazil game where they referred an offside to VAR even though she was about three feet off. Everyone could see it live but apparently the assistants have been asked to let play continue even if they know it's blatant. What is the point?

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have long been a proponent that mens' international sides should not be allowed to have managers from any country other than their own (Capello for example). By the same logic, should women's teams only be allowed to have women's managers?

Worthy of what Mrs Merton would call 'a heated debate'.

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

I have long been a proponent that mens' international sides should not be allowed to have managers from any country other than their own (Capello for example). By the same logic, should women's teams only be allowed to have women's managers?

Worthy of what Mrs Merton would call 'a heated debate'.

I agree. Female managers from the same country. Managers are part of the team too, and should eligible to represent the country. 

Mind you, where do you draw the line. Do the entire back room staff have to be eligible?

23 hours ago, Posh Ram said:

Impressed by the atmosphere and quality of play in this France/Brazil game. But is it just me or is Faye White an absolutely awful commentator. So monotonous and clearly of the Alan Hansen ‘say what happened and nothing more’ school.

I've been thinking that. Very shrill voice and doesn't really offer any insight in her comments. 

Generally the co-commentators have been far worse than the pundits. I haven't been a fan of sue Smith either....?

On 24/06/2019 at 21:54, HantsRam said:

I've been thinking that. Very shrill voice and doesn't really offer any insight in her comments. 

Generally the co-commentators have been far worse than the pundits. I haven't been a fan of sue Smith either....?

I understand and appreciate the importance of hearing more female voices in football, particularly women's football. But there are some brilliant female sports journalists (Alyson Rudd, Jacqui Oatley) who you'd imagine would offer far more insightful commentary. When it's Pearce/White I'd rather just watch with the sound off.

5 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

I understand and appreciate the importance of hearing more female voices in football, particularly women's football. But there are some brilliant female sports journalists (Alyson Rudd, Jacqui Oatley) who you'd imagine would offer far more insightful commentary. When it's Pearce/White I'd rather just watch with the sound off.

The pitch side analysts have on the whole been excellent tho....?

On 24/06/2019 at 14:58, BaaLocks said:

This is straying dangerously towards my long-held belief that we can only return football to it's true glory by nationalising the game.

Players and managers have to have been born within 30 miles of the club they are playing for. Sliding national salary scale based on experience and success. The club are owned by the local council and all players/managers are employed by the council.

I'm sure I had more rules than that - but I'm afraid i was very, very drunk...

51 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

This is straying dangerously towards my long-held belief that we can only return football to it's true glory by nationalising the game.

Players and managers have to have been born within 30 miles of the club they are playing for. Sliding national salary scale based on experience and success. The club are owned by the local council and all players/managers are employed by the council.

I'm sure I had more rules than that - but I'm afraid i was very, very drunk...

I like the sentiment, but Christ, don’t leave it in the hands of the council. 

Theres an interesting game though, what sort of team could we scrape together if all players had to be burn within 30 miles. 

Hughes and Bennett. Anyone else?

17 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I like the sentiment, but Christ, don’t leave it in the hands of the council. 

Theres an interesting game though, what sort of team could we scrape together if all players had to be burn within 30 miles. 

Hughes and Bennett. Anyone else?

Hughes doesn’t count (Surrey).

Doubt we could do much better than this:

Camp

Darikwa Cahill Lascelles Mattock

Matty Palmer Huddlestone Bird(?)

Bennett Adams Albrighton

The women’s game really is in its infancy though, how good was men’s international football 30 years after the game’s inception.

I’ve been frustrated at some of the basic mistakes in this game tonight but I’ve been frustrated at Derby at times this season as well.

Without trying to come across as patronising if you take the tournament as what it is, ie, a trailblazer for the women’s game, I think it’s been enjoyable, there’s been some cracking stuff as well the not so cracking. 

Archived