Playing out from the back

ramjam1884

It’s doesn't matter what style you play, just start with the best 11 you have. I don’t get it, Lampard did it at Wembley, Southgate last night leaving your best players on the bench and playing mediocre ones. I believe they think they are being clever and will be hailed a tactical genius or something.

JUST PLAY YOUR BEST 11 ?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a time and place for it. 

It's surprising how effective a long ball can be for teams that rarely do it. 

Likewise if you play a Pulis team you expect it dropped on a big blokes head. If they play out from the back they could reach the halfway line without much pressure

There's no point passing 5 yards if you can pass 50 yards with a good chance of success. 

But certainly playing out from the back is something you'd want to do if the opportunity is there. 

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

There's a time and place for it. 

It's surprising how effective a long ball can be for teams that rarely do it. 

Likewise if you play a Pulis team you expect it dropped on a big blokes head. If they play out from the back they could reach the halfway line without much pressure

There's no point passing 5 yards if you can pass 50 yards with a good chance of success. 

But certainly playing out from the back is something you'd want to do if the opportunity is there. 

Something we've failed to do a few times over the past few years. Sometimes, it makes sense to go a bit longer earlier as it earns you an easier passage to play the short stuff for the rest of the game. Have to keep the defence guessing, especially when you're not Man City and can't just back yourself to pass the team to death without threat of a long ball.

New rules coming in for next season will mean in goal kicks the defending teams players can also be in the box with the keeper (attacking teams have to stay outside the box). Playing it out from the back is going to be a lot more common.

I'm inclined to think last night was just bad luck. Even the best centre backs in the world are going to make a number of mistakes a season, it just so happens two came in one game last night.

It's easy to attach a narrative with the benefit of hindsight but if they'd been going long, losing all the first and second balls and being put back under pressure instantly, we'd all be thinking "keep it on the floor". 

I think remembering how much of a role luck and chance have in football is important if you're going to persevere with a style, whether England or Derby 

25 minutes ago, Shang said:

New rules coming in for next season will mean in goal kicks the defending teams players can also be in the box with the keeper (attacking teams have to stay outside the box). 

WTF is all that about?

I have no issue with the ball going back and forward across our defence to wait for the opening.

We do need midfielders capable of receiving the ball back to goal and not just doing a simple touch back to the defender.

Mount was superb

Holmes good but over confident

Wilson was ok 

Hudds ok but too slow

Johnson tried but lacked quality

Bryson awful

i don’t have an issue with the approach though and get annoyed at the fans around me who were shouting ‘forward’ or boot it up. Basically expecting every attack to be a boot it up, win a header, score a 30 yarder.

36 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

WTF is all that about?

IFAB the global governing body says its reflecting the way the game has changed where teams are playing it out of the back so they're going to allow it. Basically means you don't necessarily need a goalkeeper who can distribute it better, can pass it to a midfielder in the box next to you and they can ping the long ball out.

I think Stones last night could be classed as unlucky on the first one, but ultimately he tried too much and then lost his footing

(fair play to Pickford, so close to getting him out of jail)

The second one imho was worse he just landed someelse in it.

A truly quality centre half would still know when to put their foot through it, it just wouldn't be very often. But that would be partly dictated by their teammates.

14 hours ago, ramjam1884 said:

Surely to goodness this debacle with England tonight has to spark a debate about the Merits of playing out versus long hoof ball from the keeper. 

I think the problem lies in the title.

Playing out from the back. Mistakes are made through sloppy passing BACK towards the goal keeper, even when there are other outlets.

You need to get someone in there with a level and calm head who doesn't turn into a chicken at the very sniff of pressure.

2 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

You need to get someone in there with a level and calm head who doesn't turn into a chicken at the very sniff of pressure.

Who can hold on to the ball, does a Cruyff turn and then...oh no hang on that didn't work. ?

The problem last night - especially the last one was just fatigue. We looked tired in injury time, and that led to the sloppiness

Fair play to the Dutch for keeping up the pressing game and forcing the errors

It goes without saying that playing out from the back is as much about dealing effectively with a high press as it is building attacks

8 hours ago, TexasRam said:

It’s doesn't matter what style you play, just start with the best 11 you have. I don’t get it, Lampard did it at Wembley, Southgate last night leaving your best players on the bench and playing mediocre ones. I believe they think they are being clever and will be hailed a tactical genius or something.

JUST PLAY YOUR BEST 11 ?

Even if some of your ‘best 11’ aren’t fit enough? At Wembley it seemed Frank planned on using Bennett and Lawrence for the first 60, then Waghorn and Marriott for the final 60 (assuming extra time). 2 silly mistakes meant Franks game plan didn’t work. Parallel’s to Southgate’s game plan last night I suppose. 

17 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

You've got to be able to play it to a midfielder who can just appear and make themselves available to take the ball then move with it. England didn't have that tonight leading to the centre halves turning around making dodgy passes wondering who to give the ball to. If you're in danger, just get it away. Don't try to be smart. Fundamental errors made tonight. It's not about whether they should be playing it out from the back, it's about having players who can do it properly.

Spot on, mistakes happen when there are no midfielders showing to take the ball on the turn from defenders

That is why Keogh ends up in the opposition half most games

it’s about having an understanding when not to pass out from the back. You don’t have to be a team that does one or the other. We have become so obsessed with playing out from the back players like stones have almost become afraid to play a long ball. Tactics should be play out from the back as much as you can but play a longer game if you’re being pressed. They should be practicing being pressed in training to learn when to go long. Most centre backs can play out from the back if there’s no pressure. 

Archived