Playing out from the back

ramjam1884

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, ramjam1884 said:

Surely to goodness this debacle with England tonight has to spark a debate about the Merits of playing out versus long hoof ball from the keeper. 

2 stupid mistakes   but dont change the system just get players who can play it EG a central defender who DOES NOT thinks he is some south american dribbler

It doesn't. Hoofing is crap. It's boring, ineffectual, and just a bit rubbish. In time centre halves will continue to get better on the ball and it'll look even better. If we go back to hoofing I'll struggle to watch Derby again, Rowettball sucked my soul out last time.

Just now, Millenniumram said:

No, don’t start hoofing it. Get better at playing it out the back. Simple as that.

Exactly. Play the proper way. I coach U12s and we always encourage football the right way.

A parent or 2 will criticise if we make a sloppy pass and concede and they will go on to be heard to shout 'get rid of it' or similair.

I don't care. 

I coach FOOTBALl.

There's a difference between hoofing it, playing out at the back and just being stupid in possession.

There's nothing wrong with playing it out from the back, but you've got to know when to do it and you have to do it with purpose. 

Too many England players were caught dawdling on the ball and playing lazy passes tonight. I'd like to think Lampard wouldn't stand for that. There has to be a purpose to it and an understanding that sometimes it's okay to lump it clear in order to get your bearings. 

Keogh is very good at this (most of the time). Most of the time he'll know exactly when he can get away with running forward with the ball, passing it forward or across the backline. Tomori wasn't so good but he definitely got better with it over time last season, as did Bogle.

Just now, PodgeyRam said:

There's a difference between hoofing it, playing out at the back and just being stupid in possession.

There's nothing wrong with playing it out from the back, but you've got to know when to do it and you have to do it with purpose. 

Too many England players were caught dawdling on the ball and playing lazy passes tonight. I like to Lampard wouldn't stand for that. There has to be a purpose to it and an understanding that sometimes it's okay to lump it clear in order to get your bearings. 

Keogh is very good at this (most of the time). Most of the time he'll know exactly when he can get away with running forward with the ball, passing it forward or across the backline. Tomori wasn't so good but he definitely got better with it over time last season, as did Lowe

??????

5 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

THIS is the bit that always gets missed out - it's either play it out from the back whatever or hoof it. Well, der no there is a middle way...

15 minutes ago, Charlie Dram said:

Exactly. Play the proper way. I coach U12s and we always encourage football the right way.

A parent or 2 will criticise if we make a sloppy pass and concede and they will go on to be heard to shout 'get rid of it' or similair.

I don't care. 

I coach FOOTBALl.

Indeed. The beautiful game involves playing out from the back and passing. That’s what makes it worthwhile watching for me. 

Let them make the mistakes at u12s level will ya tho so we don’t have to see it??

All systems have the potential to look great if you have a) a manager who can implement said system correctly and b) players capable of carrying it out.

Doesn't matter whether it's 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 3-5-2; it all comes down to the players and the manager.

Personally, I think England look best with three at the back. Not sure why we've deviated from that.

You've got to be able to play it to a midfielder who can just appear and make themselves available to take the ball then move with it. England didn't have that tonight leading to the centre halves turning around making dodgy passes wondering who to give the ball to. If you're in danger, just get it away. Don't try to be smart. Fundamental errors made tonight. It's not about whether they should be playing it out from the back, it's about having players who can do it properly.

To play out from the back you need a midfield that's always in motion and with every player comfortable in receiving the ball under pressure. I want to see a team that does that and a team coached by Lampard and Morris should be able to achieve that. At times in the season it worked and at times we didn't have any movement, much like England tonight. This England team would be decent if it had some half-decent midfielders.

i prefer playing it out from the back, but to the better on the ball fullback, with an eye of playing it up the line to the wide midfielder who then gets assisted by the nearest central midfielder, or takes it further up the field.  If the fullback is being pressed, then to a decent passing central defender with the further back central midfielder preferably receiving it next

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

THIS is the bit that always gets missed out - it's either play it out from the back whatever or hoof it. Well, der no there is a middle way...

It's all about having players who have the capability to make the right decisions. Too many times this evening, England players didn't make the wrong decision, they made no decision. I am all for playing out from the back, but common sense suggests that there will be occasions when the ball just has to be shifted as far away from danger as possible and reset the defence.

McClaren had it nigh on perfect. Grant could dink balls perfectly to our tall full-backs, zip it to the DM or play it to our spread CBs.

Wisdom was a unite who could receive that ball on his back foot, keep it tidy and had the odd moment of class.

Keogh could do the lot in 13/14. Carry, receive, half turn, Cruyff-turn, raking diagonal, knew when to play square, could zip it through the thirds.

Bucko still has the best two-footed passing range I’ve ever seen. 

Fozzy was sloppy on the ball but would win every clipped ball from Grant and had a killer ball into the locker in his arsenal. 

7 hours ago, cannable said:

McClaren had it nigh on perfect. Grant could dink balls perfectly to our tall full-backs, zip it to the DM or play it to our spread CBs.

Wisdom was a unite who could receive that ball on his back foot, keep it tidy and had the odd moment of class.

Keogh could do the lot in 13/14. Carry, receive, half turn, Cruyff-turn, raking diagonal, knew when to play square, could zip it through the thirds.

Bucko still has the best two-footed passing range I’ve ever seen. 

Fozzy was sloppy on the ball but would win every clipped ball from Grant and had a killer ball into the locker in his arsenal. 

And they could defend too!

Archived