LGBT Inclusion for DCFC

ramsLGBT

12 minutes ago, ramsLGBT said:

Your opinion is very much appreciated ?

IMO we do as much as we can to educate. Those people who will be hateful regardless then need to be called out. They may not change their attitudes and action based on sensible discussion; but they are much more likely to if people around them tell them / show them that it's not acceptable.

You are spot on and in my experience happily that really does happen so much now , I sometimes think it’s too easy to overlook how far we have come and just how many decent people there are all around us who are prepared to stand up and be counted on the side of right and decent

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My view is that if LGBT* people feel the need for a group and more to be done then it's their view that's important and should be heard, not non-LGBT* people, and I think this survey is a good way to gauge opinions - good work @ramsLGBT ?

2 minutes ago, Archied said:

With the greatest respect Steve I’m not sure how anybody s sexual orientation equates to someone with disabilities 

I would say because like sexual orientation, disabilities are not a choice, and both are covered under the Equality Act, meaning that both groups are liable to be marginalized and discriminated against

What the disabled supporters group do is probably more evident in some ways as there is a physical aspect that is much clearer to see. And a lot of people forget that being disabled is more than just physical disabilities. The disabled supporters club is making sure that anybody with a disability does not feel left out, discriminated against and can enjoy the football as best as they can. Much like an LGBT supporters group would with those within the LGBT community.

28 minutes ago, ramsLGBT said:

The disabled supporters club is making sure that anybody with a disability does not feel left out, discriminated against and can enjoy the football as best as they can. Much like an LGBT supporters group would with those within the LGBT community.

So out of interest, has there been research carried out that suggests that this is a problem? 

24 minutes ago, Yojimbo said:

Posted this before reading any of it and it's actually a lot more civil than I expected. Well done, everyone.

Your first post is astonishing given the absence of out-gay players in the Premier League or EFL.

This second is just condescending to other posters

7 hours ago, Anna said:

I would say because like sexual orientation, disabilities are not a choice, and both are covered under the Equality Act, meaning that both groups are liable to be marginalized and discriminated against

My point was the likening of being lgbt to having a disability ? Would an lgbt person not be thinking it’s offensive to have their sexual orientation seen that way? 

The wording of sexual orientation is not a choice the same as having a disability’is not a choice seems to sublimely enforce the idea that there’s something wrong with not being heterosexual, 

4 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

Your first post is astonishing given the absence of out-gay players in the Premier League or EFL.

This second is just condescending to other posters

Just been on plenty of forums where discussions of such things have descended into a poo show.

Wasn’t meant to come across as condescending, sorry if it came across as such.

17 hours ago, Nick_Ram said:

Maybe a combination of my organisation and generation mean that I do not see any issues; 10 years ago or more I probably couldn't say the same. I think attitudes have changed thanks to groups like this. 

However, in Britain when I would say the vast majority of people do not care about your sexual preferences (of which the small minority you'll never change their views; religion etc), why do groups try to promote inclusive attitudes with exclusive behaviours?

I get your point, and in essence I agree with you, and also the OP !  I reckon @Wolfie probably expressed it best, but I do have a degree of resistance to a certain sort of militantancy that comes from the USA -  where there is a school of thought that sugggests if you are not vociferously anti bigototry then you are by definition a bigot.  I refute this from the tree tops. 

It used to get on my nerves, felt like it was getting forced all the time but don't care anymore and feel better for it. 

A few years ago I got in trouble in work for questioning a poster advertising a LGBT group for 12+ year olds and adults. Just didn't sit right with me, imagine a poster up in your work place advertising a heterosexual group for children and adults?! 

Like most people, I've always worked with and had gay mates, gone to gay bars/clubs etc. but still I couldn't be doing with the LGBT stuff being pushed all the time but a lot of it is good for people.

Not a bad idea an DCFC LGBT group I'm sure there are plenty that go to matches, probably turn into summat good and be a laugh for those involved and those who aren't.

Archived