LGBT Inclusion for DCFC

ramsLGBT

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I realise that but its still massive numbers.

It should be 0%

ideally but the odds of getting 0 for any phenomenon would be pretty small i think. I've only ever seen 1 survey with 0% come up before and i didn't look at the methodology.  

Sith Happens
4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Disagree strongly. 

It's hardly the biggest survey I've every seen. 4000 people of which less than 3000 were sports fans.

And 50% of these people have heard homophobic abuse, who has this abuse been aimed at because as far as I'm aware nobody has identified themselves as homosexual have they?

Define homophobic abuse.

If you abuse someone who is straight but use homophobic language does that count?

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, old ram 15 said:

ideally but the odds of getting 0 for any phenomenon would be pretty small i think. I've only ever seen 1 survey with 0% come up before and i didn't look at the methodology.  

I know but 8% if correct correlates to millions of people in the uk.

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Disagree strongly. 

It's hardly the biggest survey I've every seen. 4000 people of which less than 3000 were sports fans.

And 50% of these people have heard homophobic abuse, who has this abuse been aimed at because as far as I'm aware nobody has identified themselves as homosexual have they?

Have you been at Pride park when we've played Brighton? I'd guess that the majority of their fans are not gay, but they still get chants about being gay just because they are from Brighton.

11 minutes ago, muttley72 said:

Again, just a straight forward question. Has the formation of Punjabi Rams, family areas negatively impacted your match day? Has it really spoilt the day for you? If not, and a new group could potentially attract new supporters is it really a bad thing? People don’t need to be involved that don’t want to be. 

As I said, I couldn't care less who I'm sat next to at a football match  (as long as it's not a Forest fan). I just don't like ANY group portaging football fans in a negative way to promote their own personal agendas.

In 25 years sat in the East Stand I don't think I've ever heard any racist or homophobic abuse but maybe that's because I go to watch a match rather than listen to what people around me are shouting. 

I just wish people could go to the ground as Derby fans, not LGBT Derby fans, BAME Derby fans or whatever else exists these days.

That being said if people are going to have their matchday experience enhanced through this then good luck to them.

Maybe I'm completely misreading the situation but for me these sort of things create more divides rather than bringing people closer together. 

Just now, Paul71 said:

I know but 8% if correct correlates to millions of people in the uk.

if you did a poll on flat earthers i'd imagine you come out with a similar result but we don't worry about them lot. Extrapolating from a sample of football fans (if the surveyors were competent) is methodologically unsound. I'd need to look at the raw data to see if the data was sound in the first place which with a lot of surveys it simply isn't due to poor sampling techniques. Even if it was 8% is still a very small number in an actual survey which doesn't worry me tbh. 

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

As I said, I couldn't care less who I'm sat next to at a football match  (as long as it's not a Forest fan). I just don't like ANY group portaging football fans in a negative way to promote their own personal agendas.

In 25 years sat in the East Stand I don't think I've ever heard any racist or homophobic abuse but maybe that's because I go to watch a match rather than listen to what people around me are shouting. 

I just wish people could go to the ground as Derby fans, not LGBT Derby fans, BAME Derby fans or whatever else exists these days.

That being said if people are going to have their matchday experience enhanced through this then good luck to them.

Maybe I'm completely misreading the situation but for me these sort of things create more divides rather than bringing people closer together. 

Take it you weren't there when we played Liverpool and robbie fowler was on the end of very vocal homophobic abuse.

4 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Define homophobic abuse.

If you abuse someone who is straight but use homophobic language does that count?

Well surely homophobic abuse would have to be aimed at someone homosexual?

Homophobic language is very subjective, I think we are on dangerous ground when we are deciding what context other people's language is taken in.

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, old ram 15 said:

if you did a poll on flat earthers i'd imagine you come out with a similar result but we don't worry about them lot. Extrapolating from a sample of football fans (if the surveyors were competent) is methodologically unsound. I'd need to look at the raw data to see if the data was sound in the first place which with a lot of surveys it simply isn't due to poor sampling techniques. Even if it was 8% is still a very small number in an actual survey which doesn't worry me tbh. 

It might not worry you but it might a player hiding the fact he is gay

Sith Happens
Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Well surely homophobic abuse would have to be aimed at someone homosexual?

Homophobic language is very subjective, I think we are on dangerous ground when we are deciding what context other people's language is taken in.

So its ok if yoy arent sure if they are gay?

Interesting 

29 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I just wish a high profile footballer would come out so we can put to be this myth that it will be an earth shattering event. 

I look forward to everyone just going meh and carrying on as before.

If people wanted to be included then surely they want to be involved in the football matchday banter along with everyone else.

Unfortunately, gor me it appears that these groups exist to draw attention to themselves when there is really no need to as 99% of people go to football to watch a match and couldnt give a flying duck who the person sat next to them has slept with the night before. 

Agreed, especially with your last paragraph, spot on! As much as i get that there are still homophobes about who will be abusive in a heartbeat, things are are so much better now. The majority of people do not care who a stranger sleeps with (let alone in a football setting), they can adopt children, they can marry, there are discrimination laws protecting them (in fact, a lot of jobs like the police will actively try and recruit more LGBT people). 

There will always be nasty people in the world and sadly you can't change that. However, when LGBT groups keep pushing and pushing for 'acceptance' when they pretty much get it in most places now in this country, I'm afraid it starts to become tiresome. Why is this being put in football now? Surely focus should be on being good, kind honourable people in general. It seems as if we are becoming such an egotistical society where everything revolves around me me me and frankly, why so much spotlight is being put on sexuality is disturbing. You do you but please stop plastering it everywhere because it actually desensitizes people to the gravity of bullying whether that be for sexuality, skin colour or gender. 

4 hours ago, Alpha said:

I still enjoy quite childish humour with my mates. Kind of makes me the bad guy I suppose. But i genuinely don't care who's gay, black, transsexual. Whatever. Not arsed

Er.....?

Maybe. Not. The best......

6 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Have you been at Pride park when we've played Brighton? I'd guess that the majority of their fans are not gay, but they still get chants about being gay just because they are from Brighton.

So is that homophobic abuse or childish terrace banter used to get a reaction? 

Sith Happens
Just now, ossieram said:

I can't remember that, why would he get homophobic abuse?

It was to do with something he did to i think le saux on the pitch.

But anyway there were chants about fowler taking it up the arse, actual words.

So he isnt gay as far as i know,  but if a gay player looked at that surely it would make him think if fowler gets that and he isnt, what will happen to me.

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

So is that homophobic abuse or childish terrace banter used to get a reaction? 

Is that not the issue. Those of us it doesn't offend dismiss it as banter without a thought for those it does offend.

4 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

So its ok if yoy arent sure if they are gay?

Interesting 

Not really sure what point you are making?

My point is that just because you may use language that someone somewhere on the earth chooses to take as homophobic abuse, it does not necessarily make you homophobic.

1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

It might not worry you but it might a player hiding the fact he is gay

well I came out in a community and a school (at 15) which certainly was not 8% unaccepting more like 8% accepting if i was lucky...  I'm not trying to hide the 8% isn't something we should be complacent about but it actually shows the remarkable progress we have made tbh. Like i said the survey could be flawed in loads of ways anyway depending on the raw data as i haven't seen that. Even if it isn't, if 8% of my school said they'd discriminate against me because of my sexuality i'd have taken that and ran with it. I'd let the other 92% drown them out and of those 8% it's a good bet at least 3-4% are cowards who wouldn't say anything. The UK is one of the most (if not the most) accepting places on earth for being lgbt and we shouldn't lose sight of the progress we've made. 

Archived