LGBT Inclusion for DCFC

ramsLGBT

19 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Have you seen the recent news? Football crowds are a microcosm of the whole. 

I saw my cousin get attacked for wearing a ROI shirt in Ryan's bar ,I have a friend abused for being a goth  whilst out with his girlfriend .  I could go on ad nauseum .  You can encounter a dick at any time for any reason .  You will find as many people like this on any street as you are likely to find at a football ground . We can go back and forward on this but my opinion stay's the same as will yours.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Be honest though, when was the last time you heard anything like that at Pride Park?

My memory is awful, so I wouldn't be able to recall anyway. It's definitely not something that happens often.

51 minutes ago, ramsLGBT said:

"For some members of the LGBT community, it is more obvious that they are LGBT. This generally forms from stereotypes; including things like the way they act, the way they speak, the way they dress. These traits are often things that are picked up on and used as a form of abuse."

This is a valid point IMO

"For others, the language used by other supporters can be something that is very off-putting. There are definitely examples of homophobic chants, and the general masculine feel of a football crowd can be off-putting to members of the LGBT community."

Men's football is a masculine game, a war game even, it could be argued

"Calling the referee a banker doesn't marginalise people."

Excuse me for teasing but, surely that marginalizes bankers.  bankers of the world unite?

I went and watched Burton Albion a couple of years ago.  Just like the rest of the crowd I went a football fan, but not as a Brewers fan.  At some point in the game a couple of gobby sorts started some anti-Derby chants.  I know it wasn't aimed at me, as a Derby fan, but I can't say I enjoyed it and eventually me and my mate wandered off and got a beer.  I haven't been back since.

And I think that's the point some of us are missing with homophobic comments at football matches.  It doesn't matter whether it's just banter, or not said to cause offence it's about how a member of the LGBT+ community would feel if they hear it.  Maybe they'd end up wandering off for a beer and out of the club for ever.  That's not great and as pretty much everyone has said we're all Derby aren't we.

19 minutes ago, ossieram said:

So you would ban me from football? are you Thickaphobic?

Time to impose an IQ limit, perhaps.

2 hours ago, maxjam said:

The seats next to me have been empty for a couple of seasons now but regularly get filled by people coming to individual matches.  I'll say hello to them and if they are chatty we'll chat during the match, if they want to be left alone I'll leave them be.  Anyone of them could have been gay, straight, whatever, funnily enough it never came up in conversation!

Why not? Aren't you asking them their preferred pronouns before addressing them?

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Fair enough.

Not sure what the etc is as I cant say I'm aware of anything else. 

Be honest though, when was the last time you heard anything like that at Pride Park?

I remember one a few years back (not many) and we had “where’s your caravan” aimed at a swarthy guy with long hair.

I’ve avoided commenting so far because if you express something the wrong way folk get the wrong end of the stick.

I’m lucky because somewhere in my upbringing and life experience it got hard wired that people are different and that’s not weird, or bad it’s just interesting. So i’ve Never really had to control or learn to avoid being LGBT offensive. At the same time I don’t see any reason to avoid acknowledging differences. I genuinely see sexual orientation being like any other physical characteristic. Tall, short, fat, thin so in a sense commenting with the right intent about it shouldn’t be any worse than a “who’s eaten all the pies. 

I know it isn’t and we need groups to highlight, protect and change attitudes. Again though I maintain that in any discussion about what anyone has said there must be a focus on intent rather than the words themselves. The other issue that I think gets some people is that in every walk life there are shysters and low life’s .. a great place for those to hide is a pressure group, it’s difficult to challenge them when they are supposedly espousing the cause of a worthy and decent group. So you get an animal rights group with the bad apple who terrorise lab workers, you get a pro religious group with a fundamentalist bigot, or a farm workers representative group with an anti immigrant worker agenda. You know they are there but challenge them and they duck for cover still able to promote an agenda that isn’t really what the group was all about.

Archived