LGBT Inclusion for DCFC

ramsLGBT

Good day everyone!

Introduction

I'd like to be able to say that Derby County is a very inclusive club. It has a warm community feel about it and has won awards for community involvement in recent years.

As a member of the LGBT community, I am conducting some research into views on homosexuality, bisexuality and transsexuality within the DCFC community. This includes experiences of homophobia, biphobia and transphobia on match days and experiences for LGBT supporters.

50 clubs across England, Scotland and Wales have LGBT Supporters Groups; so I am also interested in understanding whether there is a desire or need for a DCFC LGBT Supporters Group. I am keen to hear from LGBT supporters; and those who are not too!

Survey

If you have 5 minutes spare, please can you complete the survey at http://bit.ly/2JTDOqP and provide your experiences and thoughts.

The survey is completely anonymous and will allow me to understand the currently views surrounding LGBT experiences at Derby County Football Club.

Hopefully, following analysis of the results, I will be able to report back on whether there is work that can be done to further increase the level of inclusivity at Derby County; whether there is work to be done to help LGBT supporters more involved with the club or whether there is work that can be done to tackle homophobia, biphobia and transphobia at DCFC.

Spread the Word

If you are in a position to be able to help spread the word of this to other supporters and would be able to; that would be greatly appreciated. The more responses I receive, the better the results of the survey will be.

If you have a Twitter platform that a number of supporters follow, you can retweet the link from https://twitter.com/LGBTRams.

Queries

If you have any questions at all, please drop me a message on here, or on Twitter!

Thanks for your time; Up the Rams!

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

Are you being inclusive by creating this exclusive group?

Why can't we all just be supporters of DCFC who do not tolerate homophobic behaviours?

This isn't just specific to this post, but the greater LGBT community as a whole. 

In a perfect world you'd be right & it's the work of groups like these to try and bring that about.

4 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

Why can't we all just be supporters of DCFC who do not tolerate homophobic behaviours?

This isn't just specific to this post, but the greater LGBT community as a whole. 

I used to think very similarly. If you’re not inherently racist, or homophobic, or anything else, then it’s easy to imagine a perfect world with zero segregation and wonder why groups like this are necessary. 

Bug if you’ve ever been marginalised like this then you realise that life isn’t perfect. Unfortunately marginalised groups have been marginalised for so long that they need the helping hand up to get on an even platform. 

Maybe there will be a world one day when people don’t need to be segregated into their own groups to feel comfortable and to receive the support and benefits that a group can provide. But it will take a generation or two. There’s a lot of catching up to do. 

I might be wrong, but that’s my understanding, starting from a point of view similar to yours. Your idea is admirable, but unfortunately naively idealistic. 

To be honest I probably say loads of things that someone could be offended by. The other day when Sissoko ducked out of a tackle with Salah I called him a fairy and said to my mate that it was a "gay tackle"

I try to go through life avoiding those who are easily offended and I'm pretty much bullet proof to being offended myself. 

It's good there's people trying to make a stand against discrimination where it exists. But it's undermined by those looking for it where it isn't. 

However for myself, I just genuinely don't care who's having sex with who and what colour people are. I say stuff that could probably be offensive and it's hard to exist in a place where there's people like yourselves. Please don't take it as I'm putting you down. It's just for me it creates a kind of bubbling pot. 

I still enjoy quite childish humour with my mates. Kind of makes me the bad guy I suppose. But i genuinely don't care who's gay, black, transsexual. Whatever. Not arsed

2 hours ago, ramsLGBT said:

Good day everyone!

Introduction

I'd like to be able to say that Derby County is a very inclusive club. It has a warm community feel about it and has won awards for community involvement in recent years.

As a member of the LGBT community, I am conducting some research into views on homosexuality, bisexuality and transsexuality within the DCFC community. This includes experiences of homophobia, biphobia and transphobia on match days and experiences for LGBT supporters.

50 clubs across England, Scotland and Wales have LGBT Supporters Groups; so I am also interested in understanding whether there is a desire or need for a DCFC LGBT Supporters Group. I am keen to hear from LGBT supporters; and those who are not too!

Survey

If you have 5 minutes spare, please can you complete the survey at http://bit.ly/2JTDOqP and provide your experiences and thoughts.

The survey is completely anonymous and will allow me to understand the currently views surrounding LGBT experiences at Derby County Football Club.

Hopefully, following analysis of the results, I will be able to report back on whether there is work that can be done to further increase the level of inclusivity at Derby County; whether there is work to be done to help LGBT supporters more involved with the club or whether there is work that can be done to tackle homophobia, biphobia and transphobia at DCFC.

Spread the Word

If you are in a position to be able to help spread the word of this to other supporters and would be able to; that would be greatly appreciated. The more responses I receive, the better the results of the survey will be.

If you have a Twitter platform that a number of supporters follow, you can retweet the link from https://twitter.com/LGBTRams.

Queries

If you have any questions at all, please drop me a message on here, or on Twitter!

Thanks for your time; Up the Rams!

Well done, keep up the good work!

3 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

In a perfect world you'd be right & it's the work of groups like these to try and bring that about.

Maybe a combination of my organisation and generation mean that I do not see any issues; 10 years ago or more I probably couldn't say the same. I think attitudes have changed thanks to groups like this. 

However, in Britain when I would say the vast majority of people do not care about your sexual preferences (of which the small minority you'll never change their views; religion etc), why do groups try to promote inclusive attitudes with exclusive behaviours?

11 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

Maybe a combination of my organisation and generation mean that I do not see any issues; 10 years ago or more I probably couldn't say the same. I think attitudes have changed thanks to groups like this. 

However, in Britain when I would say the vast majority of people do not care about your sexual preferences (of which the small minority you'll never change their views; religion etc), why do groups try to promote inclusive attitudes with exclusive behaviours?

Because it's easier for individuals and more effective if you promote certain attitudes as part of a group?

Why do we have campaign groups for anything?. Stuff gets done quicker.

I'm not bothered if you're gay, bi, trans, black, brown, white or straight.  If you're a Ram, you're a ram.  

Saying that, I think a gay person will still be hearing the odd "Get up you soddin poof" or something similar for a few years yet.  That's not to say there's a load of raging homophobes within the fan base, but it's an easy way to demean a player's tackle, or reaction to a tackle which is less than, shall we say, agricultural.  

if you're a human, you're a human and deserve to do the things that make you happy without feeling isolated. I hope you can enjoy the same experiences that everyone does. However, my attempt at humour is to suggest that if you haven't enjoyed a day at the football, it's because the football has been poo, and not because you're you are LGBT :) and the rest of us didn't enjoy it either! lol

31 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

why do groups try to promote inclusive attitudes with exclusive behaviours?

3 hours ago, ramsLGBT said:

I am keen to hear from LGBT supporters; and those who are not too!

That doesn't sound exclusive to me.

My experience is that any groups based on minority characteristics are more than happy to accept the support of people from outside that group.

15 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I'm not bothered if you're gay, bi, trans, black, brown, white or straight.  If you're a Ram, you're a ram.  

Saying that, I think a gay person will still be hearing the odd "Get up you soddin poof" or something similar for a few years yet.  That's not to say there's a load of raging homophobes within the fan base, but it's an easy way to demean a player's tackle, or reaction to a tackle which is less than, shall we say, agricultural.  

I've highlighted a problem here. People using these terms as a negative isn't helping at all. Calling someone a "poof" isn't as light-hearted or jovial as people are claiming it to be.

People may not think they're being homophobic by using the term lightly, but they are. Think of it as the same as if you were using a demeaning word to call out a players race. It's not acceptable and never should've been.

45 minutes ago, Alpha said:

To be honest I probably say loads of things that someone could be offended by. The other day when Sissoko ducked out of a tackle with Salah I called him a fairy and said to my mate that it was a "gay tackle"

I try to go through life avoiding those who are easily offended and I'm pretty much bullet proof to being offended myself. 

It's good there's people trying to make a stand against discrimination where it exists. But it's undermined by those looking for it where it isn't. 

However for myself, I just genuinely don't care who's having sex with who and what colour people are. I say stuff that could probably be offensive and it's hard to exist in a place where there's people like yourselves. Please don't take it as I'm putting you down. It's just for me it creates a kind of bubbling pot. 

I still enjoy quite childish humour with my mates. Kind of makes me the bad guy I suppose. But i genuinely don't care who's gay, black, transsexual. Whatever. Not arsed

You’re not a bad guy, many share the same view but are afraid to say it like you have. It’s all getting a bit boring IMO with these groups. Cant we just enjoy what we enjoy and enjoy who we are no matter what that is, and just bloody crack on without all this song and dance and group this and group that. 

12 minutes ago, roboto said:

I've highlighted a problem here. People using these terms as a negative isn't helping at all. Calling someone a "poof" isn't as light-hearted or jovial as people are claiming it to be.

People may not think they're being homophobic by using the term lightly, but they are. Think of it as the same as if you were using a demeaning word to call out a players race. It's not acceptable and never should've been.

I don't condone it, just making a point...

17 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

That doesn't sound exclusive to me.

My experience is that any groups based on minority characteristics are more than happy to accept the support of people from outside that group.

The term LGBT is exclusive.

How would people feel about a Non-LGBT Supporters Group? 

I'm all for the cause. A more inclusive term, which is what the group are trying to promote, would be along the lines of 'Rams against Homophobia' or something of that ilk. 

54 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

Just a quick and genuine question, whats your thoughts on Punjabi Rams, should that group not have been created?

So, I am a gay bloke... do I take offence at someone being called a poof or whatever? Nah, not really when it’s done as banter. However, I’ve been called a poof while being pinned against a wall, that isn’t as much fun.  I’m not big on waving banners, been there done that, but at 47 years old, and having been with my better half for 22 years I’m more about a meal and a pint down the local. 

So a LGBT supporters group? In my eyes it’s a brilliant idea. It’s not just about what the LGBT people get out of it, but also the positivity that it creates around the club. By having a LGBT supporters club we can encourage new supporters who may otherwise think they don’t belong, we can do community work, we can show that we are a forward thinking club and are serious about homophobia. Yes, also for me it would be nice to sit with likeminded people and go for a pint before a match, is that such a bad thing? (We actually suffer more than you know, try telling my gay mates I’m off to the match, we get abused from that side too ?).

It isn’t about stopping banter, I’m one of the worst for it, but to say that we’ve moved on to a point where groups and support is not needed is wide of the mark...to be fair, until you’ve been subjected to homophobia it’s difficult for you to comment and say it’s not an issue. 

46 minutes ago, roboto said:

Maybe its my age thing but to me the world  going PC mad.why is it that gay people can call each other poofs queens etc but straight people arent allowed to? I am not anti anyone just bloody confused

Archived