Just how bad will traffic be in Aug/Sep

rammieib

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lads its only taken them 2 years to add a new lane eastbound which is crumbling to dust and a new road to bypass toys r us which is permanently closed. Should only take another 6 or 7 years to finish now.

The subject matter is something that really grinds my gears (quote the great Peter Griffin). No matter where you go in the UK, roadworks are all the same. An utter shambles with no apparent regulation over something of extreme significance. It has a major impact on people and on businesses. On the M1 (to and from Wembley), there were 21 miles of roadworks. Why do such a large stretch in one go? Break it up into manageable chunks. People who are supposed to be 'working' are tossing it off. Either standing around chatting or just sleeping in a van. I (in fact I would imagine most people) have seen it time and time again. Why is the department for transport / transport minister not addressing this sham. It's negligence on an apocalyptic scale. The contractors tender for the contract. They are awarded the contract and then drag it out. No skin off their noses. The contracts should be tendered with acceptable timescales, not 13 sodding months to amend a slip road and hefty penalty clauses for slippages. Furthermore payment milestones should also be included in the contract, which provides incentives to get the work done quicker.

In Japan in 2016, there was a massive sinkhole that caused a 30m wide 15m deep sink hole in a road damaging all sorts of infrastucture (cables, pipes etc) under the road and it also threatened nearby buildings. This was repaired in 48 hours, and after health and safety checks, it was fully opened within one week. 

In Derby, we had a bit of a leaky pipe, a ripple in a road and a requirement for a smattering of grout, it takes 4 months to fix. 

1 hour ago, GenBr said:

March 2019.

Sometime summer 2020 is the new date. It only started in April 2017 so not sure if they will have enough time to finish it .

Ah glorious, so what your saying is for every home game for probably all of next season i'm going to have to leave extra early and plan to get back to Norwich even later. joy!

Someone should organise some kind of protest group. They are the most incompetent idiots in the country. Nottingham put in a while tram system with less bother. I had the misfortune to travel across Markeaton when they were doing that. I had bother at work for being late all the time and eventually altered my work pattern to get through earlier but still it was hell. Is it any better now? No! 

They just take the piss out of motorists. You drive (or crawl) through and day after day it’s void of people working. They should be on it 24/7 till it’s done. 13 months is criminally negligent 

1 hour ago, NorfolkRam said:

Ah glorious, so what your saying is for every home game for probably all of next season i'm going to have to leave extra early and plan to get back to Norwich even later. joy!

If i were you i'd make sure to bring a few days worth of provisions. Maybe a blanket or two to keep you warm whilst your stuck in your car for the first couple of days.

Its absolute gridlock now and at weekends, so even if you left at half time you wouldnt avoid it. If you leave at the end of the match with everyone else you may as well have stayed in your seat and waited for the next home game to happen.

10 hours ago, Paul71 said:

No chance it will be only 13 months. Clearly this wasn't part of the original plan or it would have been communicated earlier.

They really are making it up as they go along.

It must be horrendous for people working there, wouldn't surprise me to see businesses on the wyvern close down as people avoid the area.

For dcfc its going to cause massive issues with traffic getting away,  the stadium will be empty come 80 mins as people leave to try and avoid it.

Perhaps the council have already made provisions to provide park and ride for Derby games during this spell. I can't see it though,  it won't even have been discussed.

Can see it affecting the gates, especially evening games as people think sitting in traffic for an hour or two or watching on red button? 

I don't think its knee jerk to say Derby and the council should be discussing this to try and arrive at a solution.

They already do mate to pp but only probleam is does not run on match days.

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, B4ev6is said:

They already do mate to pp but only probleam is does not run on match days.

Lets hope they do something for match day

Sith Happens

I think one of the things they should do is open the roads they close after a game immediately to help traffic get away.

If they just make it one way where they normally close it it should mean both cars and pedestrians can use.

I do think the club need to look at this seriously. It will affect attendances if people can't get to or away in a timely manner.

Sith Happens
4 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

Someone should organise some kind of protest group. They are the most incompetent idiots in the country. Nottingham put in a while tram system with less bother. I had the misfortune to travel across Markeaton when they were doing that. I had bother at work for being late all the time and eventually altered my work pattern to get through earlier but still it was hell. Is it any better now? No! 

They just take the piss out of motorists. You drive (or crawl) through and day after day it’s void of people working. They should be on it 24/7 till it’s done. 13 months is criminally negligent 

Neither little eaton or markeaton was improved. 

Sometimes makes me wonder if they want to cause congestion. Recently put traffic lights at the junction at Coxbench, ridiculous wasn't needed,  just causes congestion there and then at Kilburn toll bar because everyone has bunched up

4 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

Whilst I agree fully with the idiot statement my mate's street in Beeston was dug up for 4 years .The engineer in charge who he was on first name terms with told him he didn't know how to build it down his street it had so many problems .

4 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Whilst I agree fully with the idiot statement my mate's street in Beeston was dug up for 4 years .The engineer in charge who he was on first name terms with told him he didn't know how to build it down his street it had so many problems .

Vinci put half the rails in upside down and had to redo a lot of it. You would think it would be obvious which way round they were supposed to go in the ground, but apparently not. 

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, Archied said:

Ok ,where’s the best/ bearish place to park and walk without going on to pride park ,coming off the m1

M1

Archived