The case for Kelle Roos

JCRam

People unfairly writing off Kelle due to 1 bad game I feel. So to add balance thought I'd make the case of why he HAS to be our number 1 next season. 

- 5th best minutes to goals conceded of all championship goalkeepers this season, averaging a goal against every 90 minutes. For comparison Carson averaged a goal against every 63 minutes. 

Thats a difference of conceding 46 games over a season against 65, how many points would that equate to? 

- If we'd conceded 46 goals this season we'd of had the third best defensive record, only 5 conceded more than the best.

- His save percentage was 4th best in the league at 72%, bettered only by Randolph, Pantillimon and Dean Henderson. Carsons was 65%.

Other factors such as increase in points per game etc. also reflect his impact on the team. 

I find people writing him off after such an impact as laughable, and lets be honest a knee jerk reaction from the playoff final performance. 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Good first post Kelle, welcome to the forum ?

Thank you, good to have my contract situation sorted, really looking forward to getting to work over the next 3 years. 

10 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

The argument against...Carson is simply a better goalkeeper.

If you want to concede more goals and accumulate less points. 

I like Carson, if Roos had left I wouldn't of been worried about him coming back in, but Kelle has been streets above him this season in every aspect. 

1 hour ago, JCRam said:

People unfairly writing off Kelle due to 1 bad game I feel. So to add balance thought I'd make the case of why he HAS to be our number 1 next season. 

- 5th best minutes to goals conceded of all championship goalkeepers this season, averaging a goal against every 90 minutes. For comparison Carson averaged a goal against every 63 minutes. 

Thats a difference of conceding 46 games over a season against 65, how many points would that equate to? 

- If we'd conceded 46 goals this season we'd of had the third best defensive record, only 5 conceded more than the best.

- His save percentage was 4th best in the league at 72%, bettered only by Randolph, Pantillimon and Dean Henderson. Carsons was 65%.

Other factors such as increase in points per game etc. also reflect his impact on the team. 

I find people writing him off after such an impact as laughable, and lets be honest a knee jerk reaction from the playoff final performance. 

I don’t think we need a new keeper because of one game. I think we need one because both keepers are a big part of the reason we are an absolute shambles at defending crosses. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a professional team so panic stricken when the ball is crossed into the box...i doesn’t even have to be a good one.

for me it starts with the keeper, he has to command his area and fill the defence in front of him with confidence....neither Carson or Roos have done this. It’s still fairly early in his career (for a goalkeeper) for Roos, so maybe he can improve. He’s a good shot stopper, you’ll get no argument from me on that one, his distribution is decent. The one are area he’s not been up to scratch is the area that is a massive team weakness, that for me is a problem.

Sadly Scott’s distribution with his feet is poor and the way we played this season highlighted this. It’s a shame really for a great servant to the club and this time last year was the first name on the team sheet (yes being # 1 ?

If you had Scott’s handling and Kelle’s feet you’d have a premier league goalkeeper. 

Cases for Kelle Roos:

Good distributor of the ball

Good shot stopper

Carson turned into Roy Carroll after his summer hols and had fewer clean sheets than my bed as I hit puberty 

And, most importantly, Carson has seemed to have lead in his boots for a season or so now.

Cases against Kelle Roos:

Literally no command of his area, flappy bird when it comes to a cross and Carson is much more commanding and assuring to his defence in that respect.

All ends up, looks more of a case for Roos than there is against him. More commanding goalie would be good, but right now he’s our no1

1 minute ago, B4ev6is said:

Well I disagree with you on that done a decent job.

Has done decent just think he needs to be more decisive on when he comes out (needs to be more convincing) maybe just needs more experience but isnt ready to be our no1

56 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

Sadly Scott’s distribution with his feet is poor and the way we played this season highlighted this. It’s a shame really for a great servant to the club and this time last year was the first name on the team sheet (yes being # 1 ?

If you had Scott’s handling and Kelle’s feet you’d have a premier league goalkeeper. 

Mix them both and it's still average. Mix them both and you're still stuck with a GK on the line.

37 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Mix them both and it's still average. Mix them both and you're still stuck with a GK on the line.

Yes especially Carson who doesn’t come for crosses whether dead ball or in play. However most on here were spunking up over Carson this time last year. There was even talk of going to the World Cup ?

4 hours ago, JCRam said:

we'd of

Yeah, i am taking a pause on that stuff too in favor of Spanish red wine.  It sucks, but there you are.  Good for you BTW.?

Okay, on topic:  You just signed a new contract, so bit of a mute point at this point, oh and hey congrats on the contract extension, we're all Roosin for ya, well most of us, just ignore the idiots, every club has em

Archived