The 2010s are the first decade in Derby County history without top flight football.

Yojimbo

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Two things... if I may...

1/  we have now had our final finish of the 2010’s, so next seasons finish will relate to the 2020’s, so it matters not where Frank takes us, as far as this decade’s average is concerned. 

2/  Your full run down is a tad confusing (to me, at least) as they don’t appear to show a true average (ignoring whatever divisions we could have been in).  Could you spare the time to expand your fine work to show a true average over the complete divisions?  By that, I mean counting all teams above us, even if they be in a higher division, so the 70’s would have us comfortably in the top 24 (I presume that’s your 9th) whereas the 2010’s would have us  29th? (9th in second tier, with 20 in the tier above).  

Now that would would be a job well done, and would earn at least 3 likes and a thumbs up from me. ?

Not necessarily, if we take on the Leeds / Forest approach we could be promoted in September this year.  

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
10 hours ago, muttley72 said:

Not necessarily, if we take on the Leeds / Forest approach we could be promoted in September this year.  

It must be exhausting being a Forest fan.

Celebrating the title Early Autumn. Winning the FA cup in January. The annual its been 38,39,40,41 years since they won a european cup celebration.

Celebrating staying up in May, the biggest celebration when we don't go up. The mid season new manager celebration every year.

The annual 'owner does something to embarrass the club' debacles too.

Phew makes me glad im a Derby fan.

16 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

2/  Your full run down is a tad confusing (to me, at least) as they don’t appear to show a true average (ignoring whatever divisions we could have been in).  Could you spare the time to expand your fine work to show a true average over the complete divisions?

By adding together the average finish on the league ladder (ie. this season was 6th in the Championship, so that would be 26), you get the following....

1880s - 10th (Only one season)

1890s - 8th

1900s - 14th

1910s - 20th

1920s - 21st

1930s - 7th

1940s - 7th (only three seasons)

1950s - 30th

1960s - 35th

1970s - 8th

1980s - 30th

1990s - 20th

2000s - 27th

2010s - 29th

Having seen other people's arguments about it's better to be doing well in the second tier than battling relegation in the first tier, I would probably agree that my original statement that this might have been the worst ever decade to support Derby isn't true, but it's definitely down there.

If you take out the outlier decade of the 1970s, since 1950 Derby have, on average, finished 29th on the league ladder (it's still only 26th when you include the 70s). I'm sure almost everyone on this board thinks Derby "should" be in the top flight, but history would suggest the top half of the Championship is the club's true level, sadly.

1 hour ago, Yojimbo said:

By adding together the average finish on the league ladder (ie. this season was 6th in the Championship, so that would be 26), you get the following....

1880s - 10th (Only one season)

1890s - 8th

1900s - 14th

1910s - 20th

1920s - 21st

1930s - 7th

1940s - 7th (only three seasons)

1950s - 30th

1960s - 35th

1970s - 8th

1980s - 30th

1990s - 20th

2000s - 27th

2010s - 29th

Having seen other people's arguments about it's better to be doing well in the second tier than battling relegation in the first tier, I would probably agree that my original statement that this might have been the worst ever decade to support Derby isn't true, but it's definitely down there.

If you take out the outlier decade of the 1970s, since 1950 Derby have, on average, finished 29th on the league ladder (it's still only 26th when you include the 70s). I'm sure almost everyone on this board thinks Derby "should" be in the top flight, but history would suggest the top half of the Championship is the club's true level, sadly.

Let's look on the bright side....looking at the sequence, we're due a strong decade ?

Great analysis btw...top work.

In response to people saying we are cursed, I actually think not in one season in the last decade have we actually had a team good enough in all departments to deserve to go up hence why we haven't, it's not bad luck we just simply aren't quite good enough. Mac 1 was the closest but we lacked quality wingers and attacking fullbacks like Bogle to hurt teams who sit in (like QPR).This year I think over the course of the season we have far from deserved promotion but could have got it if we didn't give away 2 poo goals. For me if we had a better midfielder than Johnson to play next to Huddlestone we would have had a decent chance of winning against Villa, it was Johnson's mistake lunging in recklessly that led to the first goal and he lacks the quality needed to control these type of games and keep the ball moving nicely , hopefully Shinnie is better and we sign a more creative player to replace Mount.

Archived