The 2010s are the first decade in Derby County history without top flight football.

Yojimbo

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 02/06/2019 at 11:07, Millenniumram said:

It really ain’t been a particularly successful run, we’ve nearly gone bust before and still made it back to the top flight quicker! In fact teams like Bournemouth have been collecting money to save themselves and still beaten us up there, really is quite astounding. It’s like we’re never meant to return. Let’s hope the end of this cursed decade brings a change in fortunes.

Yes I agree. Many missed opportunities during the period mentioned. 

On 02/06/2019 at 09:23, Mucker1884 said:

1/  Did you enjoy your sad little party all alone through the night of 31/12/2000-01/01/2001?  

2/  Do we ignore phrases like "The swinging sixties", "The roaring forties" etc (can you tell I don't know any more for the other decades!)

3/  "It doesn't matter..."  Good God man, do you know how much that riled me!  Of course it bloody matters!  ;-)

On behalf of the pedants' society, I would like to point out that it was the roaring twenties. Thank you.

I can't get my head around this decade malarkey. How anyone can argue that 2020 is not in the 2020's is beyond me.

The clue is in the name of the year. 

The argument that there was no year 1 in the Gregorian calendar makes no sense to me. It would be easier to accept that the first of 201 decades had 9 years in it instead of arguing that the 20's don't start until 2021

1 hour ago, Sweetness34 said:

I can't get my head around this decade malarkey. How anyone can argue that 2020 is not in the 2020's is beyond me.

The clue is in the name of the year. 

The argument that there was no year 1 in the Gregorian calendar makes no sense to me. It would be easier to accept that the first of 201 decades had 9 years in it instead of arguing that the 20's don't start until 2021

@Paul71 explained it reasonably.

I think people have just become confused. It's semantics really.

The 2020s do include 2020, as they're every year with the 202X format.

However, the 202nd decade (of our calendar) doesn't begin until 2021. 

They're two entirely different things, but they're so similar people mistake them.

On 02/06/2019 at 09:02, Steve How Hard? said:

It's not a great stat to have against our name but we've done reasonably well in that period. Yes, ultimately we've fallen short of our ambitions but two trips to Wembley and being competitive most seasons in the league towards the end of that period is not the worst position to be in. Look at the Gumps, a generation of their fans look likely to go a lifetime without seeing their team play top flight footy. 

Reasonably well? It's the worst period of Derby teams and players I've ever seen. People use the words 'Derby legend' to players like Keogh. Give over. 

2 hours ago, Xlor said:

Reasonably well? It's the worst period of Derby teams and players I've ever seen. People use the words 'Derby legend' to players like Keogh. Give over. 

Not around or have you forgotten about the early 80's? Prefer the legendary relegation side and subsequent teams masterminded by Jewell? Gerr outta here.

1 hour ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Not around or have you forgotten about the early 80's? Prefer the legendary relegation side and subsequent teams masterminded by Jewell? Gerr outta here.

The few years around the start of the 80s was obviously awful, but at lest the mid 80s had two consecutive promotions - including a title - and a top 5 finish in the top flight with a team which included two players who would go on to be in the first XI of an England side who made the World Cup semi finals.

This decade’s lows have not been as low, but there’s not really been any highs to speak of other than one off games.

Also, pedant alert, this thread has generally been based around decades and  Jewell and the legendary 11 point side was the naughty 00s, not the terrible 10s.

I think - in terms of judging a decade as whole - the 2010s has been the worst single “decade” in Derby history. No promotions, no top flight football... just a load of false dawns, wasted money and disappointments.

1 hour ago, Yojimbo said:

The few years around the start of the 80s was obviously awful, but at lest the mid 80s had two consecutive promotions - including a title - and a top 5 finish in the top flight with a team which included two players who would go on to be in the first XI of an England side who made the World Cup semi finals.

This decade’s lows have not been as low, but there’s not really been any highs to speak of other than one off games.

Also, pedant alert, this thread has generally been based around decades and  Jewell and the legendary 11 point side was the naughty 00s, not the terrible 10s.

I think - in terms of judging a decade as whole - the 2010s has been the worst single “decade” in Derby history. No promotions, no top flight football... just a load of false dawns, wasted money and disappointments.

Decades are almost too wide a base to analyse, I divide mine into 5 year tranches from the point I can consciously remember supporting;

so 1968 to 1972 and 1973 to 1977 inclusive (yeah I am that old!) on this basis 2013 to 2017 has been good, it was the 5 years before that was a load of Bamford.

Be interesting to see the average league position per decade regardless of division. Whilst you have to accept this worst decade if we are using top flight football as the measuring stick, generally the further up the league you are the more enjoyable the season has been.

Using average league position can be applied and compared with all clubs, so many out there that have never had a sniff of top flight football, we're kinda lucky to have been up there but 70's aside we have not established ourselves as a top flight side, to use that as stick seems a bit unfair.

Only 3 clubs can go up each season, odds are not stacked in our favour.

11 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Was only a nipper in the early 80s and the less said about the 11 point year the better. Still, at least it was in the prem and had some mega away days. Like I said, the worst period of teams/players in my lifetime. I'm 41 by the way?

11 hours ago, Yojimbo said:

it depends how you want to judge it i guess. I'd argue the 2000's were worse because of the continued struggle in both the premiership and division 1, boardroom antics, administration and little to cheer about except 04-05 and 06-07. This year we've consistently seen good football, won more than we've lost and stablised behind the scenes of the club compared to where we were 15 years ago. Yes we haven't had premiership football but i still think I'd take it over three years in the prem with 2 relegations on the books. 

8 hours ago, David said:

Be interesting to see the average league position per decade regardless of division. Whilst you have to accept this worst decade if we are using top flight football as the measuring stick, generally the further up the league you are the more enjoyable the season has been.

Our natural level seems to be averaging a finish of 9th, which we are on track to do for the 2010s. If Frank gets us another top 6 finish next season the average will round down to 8th equalling our best average when a full decade worth of seasons were played. The 2000s was pretty comfortably our worst decade. The 2010s post Nigel Clough we are averaging a finish position of 6th. 

2010s: Avg Pos = 9th

2000s: Avg Pos = 15th

1990s: Avg Pos = 9th

1980s: Avg Pos = 10th

1970s: Avg Pos = 9th

1960s: Avg Pos = 12th

1950s: Avg Pos = 13th

1940s: Avg Pos = 8th

1930s: Avg Pos = 7th

1920s: Avg Pos = 8th

1910s: Avg Pos = 9th

1900s: Avg Pos = 10th

1890s: Avg Pos = 8th

1880s: Avg Pos = 9th

1 hour ago, Xlor said:

Was only a nipper in the early 80s and the less said about the 11 point year the better. Still, at least it was in the prem and had some mega away days. Like I said, the worst period of teams/players in my lifetime. I'm 41 by the way?

Really? 2000-2009 had one promotion, one additional play-off campaign, two relegations and six relegation battles (excluding the actual relegations).

This decade has had two relegation fights, two mid-table seasons and four play-off campaigns (one of which we broke our points record and then a 100 goal season).

2 hours ago, Xlor said:

Being slightly older than yourself my interest in the Rams coincided with the end of the glory years of the 70's. All I saw was decline. Come to think of it,  I don't know why I stuck with it and I think I'm a bloody jinx. 

On 02/06/2019 at 10:52, Mucker1884 said:

It will.  With promotion in 2019/20, we'd next play in the prem is 20/21... which ain't in the 2010's

Just when Paul lifted us up, you had to go and get all sensibleand correct ?

3 hours ago, GenBr said:

Our natural level seems to be averaging a finish of 9th, which we are on track to do for the 2010s. If Frank gets us another top 6 finish next season the average will round down to 8th equalling our best average when a full decade worth of seasons were played. The 2000s was pretty comfortably our worst decade. The 2010s post Nigel Clough we are averaging a finish position of 6th. 

2010s: Avg Pos = 9th

2000s: Avg Pos = 15th

1990s: Avg Pos = 9th

1980s: Avg Pos = 10th

1970s: Avg Pos = 9th

1960s: Avg Pos = 12th

1950s: Avg Pos = 13th

1940s: Avg Pos = 8th

1930s: Avg Pos = 7th

1920s: Avg Pos = 8th

1910s: Avg Pos = 9th

1900s: Avg Pos = 10th

1890s: Avg Pos = 8th

1880s: Avg Pos = 9th

Two things... if I may...

1/  we have now had our final finish of the 2010’s, so next seasons finish will relate to the 2020’s, so it matters not where Frank takes us, as far as this decade’s average is concerned. 

2/  Your full run down is a tad confusing (to me, at least) as they don’t appear to show a true average (ignoring whatever divisions we could have been in).  Could you spare the time to expand your fine work to show a true average over the complete divisions?  By that, I mean counting all teams above us, even if they be in a higher division, so the 70’s would have us comfortably in the top 24 (I presume that’s your 9th) whereas the 2010’s would have us  29th? (9th in second tier, with 20 in the tier above).  

Now that would would be a job well done, and would earn at least 3 likes and a thumbs up from me. ?

Archived