The 2010s are the first decade in Derby County history without top flight football.

Yojimbo

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but just had a quick look through Derby County seasons on wikipedia, and it seems that that decade will be the first time Derby county have not contested a top flight fixture. True, the sum total of top flight football in the 1960s was from August 1969 onwards, but it still counts. Hopefully Frank and the team can help make the 2020s more successful.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, it got mentioned amidst the general threads a few months back.  It got to the point where some people couldn't work out what an actual decade was, and were adding 9's and 0's from all directions!!

Good fact though.

...Well, not good, but you know what I mean!  :-)

I was just thinking the other day this is probably the longest spell without top flight football in our history. This confirms it. We seem to stay up for about 5 or 6 seasons then get relegated and stay down for 5 or 6 seasons, rarely going into the third tier. 

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

It will.  With promotion in 2019/20, we'd next play in the prem is 20/21... which ain't in the 2010's

A decade starts in year 1. So 2001-2010, 2011-2020 and so on.

17 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

It will.  With promotion in 2019/20, we'd next play in the prem is 20/21... which ain't in the 2010's

I understand what he means. There is a trail of thought that decades start in the year 1, because there was no "year 0" in the Gregorian Calender; it began at AD1 not AD0. Modern common language clusters decades as starting from 0-9 ie. the 1990s is 1990 to 1999.

Pedantic people like to say the "Well, actually..." but I'm not going to criticise that as I can be a pedant myself. I just think that saying, for example, 2020 is part of the 2010s sounds stupid.

It's not a great stat to have against our name but we've done reasonably well in that period. Yes, ultimately we've fallen short of our ambitions but two trips to Wembley and being competitive most seasons in the league towards the end of that period is not the worst position to be in. Look at the Gumps, a generation of their fans look likely to go a lifetime without seeing their team play top flight footy. 

6 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I was just thinking the other day this is probably the longest spell without top flight football in our history. This confirms it. We seem to stay up for about 5 or 6 seasons then get relegated and stay down for 5 or 6 seasons, rarely going into the third tier. 

It's actually the second longest (see, said I was a pedant, too). The longest was 1953 to 1969, a run of 16 seasons (14 in Div 2 and 2 in Div3 North)

13 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

A decade starts in year 1. So 2001-2010, 2011-2020 and so on.

This is how the conversation went last time, hence my earlier comment.

The decade being "The swinging sixties", "The roaring forties", etc.

The '60's never contained Dec 31st 1959.  The '80's never contained Jan 1st 1990.

Admittedly, with footy seasons spanning the New Year, we effectively get "11 seasons in a decade".

In football terms, the Decade in question... this one... runs from the start of 2009/10 season (includes 2010) to the end of 2019/20 season (includes 2019), so... 9/10 - 10/11 - 11/12 - 12/13 - 13/14 - 14/15 - 15/16 - 16/17 -  17/18 - 18/19 - 19/20. 

Those are the total football season that were included in "The 2010's"
We haven't been in the top flight during any of those seasons.

That's my take on a decade, for what it's worth.  

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

This is how the conversation went last time, hence my earlier comment.

The decade being "The swinging sixties", "The roaring forties", etc.

The '60's never contained Dec 31st 1959.  The '80's never contained Jan 1st 1990.

Admittedly, with footy seasons spanning the New Year, we effectively get "11 seasons in a decade".

In football terms, the Decade in question... this one... runs from the start of 2009/10 season (includes 2010) to the end of 2019/20 season (includes 2019), so... 9/10 - 10/11 - 11/12 - 12/13 - 13/14 - 14/15 - 15/16 - 16/17 -  17/18 - 18/19 - 19/20. 

Those are the total football season that were included in "The 2010's"
We haven't been in the top flight during any of those seasons.

I understand whats being said, yes we will start the 2020's next year but the next decade doesn't start until 2021.

Its a bit like the new millennium, we are all jumping about celebrating at the end of 99, but actually the new millennium didn't start until 2001.

It doesn't really matter, its been too long without a season in the top flight, and to be honest I don't really class the last attempt it was that abysmal, but factually we were. For me we are still trying to get back after being relegated in 2002.

4 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I understand whats being said, yes we will start the 2020's next year but the next decade doesn't start until 2021.

Its a bit like the new millennium, we are all jumping about celebrating at the end of 99, but actually the new millennium didn't start until 2001.

It doesn't really matter, its been too long without a season in the top flight, and to be honest I don't really class the last attempt it was that abysmal, but factually we were. For me we are still trying to get back after being relegated in 2002.

1/  Did you enjoy your sad little party all alone through the night of 31/12/2000-01/01/2001?  

2/  Do we ignore phrases like "The swinging sixties", "The roaring forties" etc (can you tell I don't know any more for the other decades!)

3/  "It doesn't matter..."  Good God man, do you know how much that riled me!  Of course it bloody matters!  ;-)

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Mucker1884 said:

1/  Did you enjoy your sad little party all alone through the night of 31/12/2000-01/01/2001?  

2/  Do we ignore phrases like "The swinging sixties", "The roaring forties" etc (can you tell I don't know any more for the other decades!)

3/  "It doesn't matter..."  Good God man, do you know how much that riled me!  Of course it bloody matters!  ?

I loved it yes.

I Don't know many either, what did we call the 90's? Naughty 90's or something daft like that. The hateful 80's?  The tin pot 10's?

I know it does really, i just woke up this morning and thought i would try and annoy as many people as possible ?

Anyway going to go and find some spelling mistakes.

It really ain’t been a particularly successful run, we’ve nearly gone bust before and still made it back to the top flight quicker! In fact teams like Bournemouth have been collecting money to save themselves and still beaten us up there, really is quite astounding. It’s like we’re never meant to return. Let’s hope the end of this cursed decade brings a change in fortunes.

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

It really ain’t been a particularly successful run, we’ve nearly gone bust before and still made it back to the top flight quicker! In fact teams like Bournemouth have been collecting money to save themselves and still beaten us up there, really is quite astounding. It’s like we’re never meant to return. Let’s hope the end of this cursed decade brings a change in fortunes.

Perhaps one for the unpopular thread. But part of me is starting to think Forest will make it back before us.

Just seems we have been so close so many times recently and managed to fluff our lines at the last minute.

4 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Perhaps one for the unpopular thread. But part of me is starting to think Forest will make it back before us.

Just seems we have been so close so many times recently and managed to fluff our lines at the last minute.

I’m the same tbh. As I said in another thread we’ve had an insane amount of chances to go up and thrown it every time. You don’t tend to get as many chances as we have and you have to capitalise. We haven’t, I do wonder whether we will get anymore. We’ve been extremely wasteful.

I do sometimes wonder whether well get up in this era of the club, or whether it’ll take a total overhaul like a takeover etc to see us up

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I’m the same tbh. As I said in another thread we’ve had an insane amount of chances to go up and thrown it every time. You don’t tend to get as many chances as we have and you have to capitalise. We haven’t, I do wonder whether we will get anymore. We’ve been extremely wasteful.

I do sometimes wonder whether well get up in this era of the club, or whether it’ll take a total overhaul like a takeover etc to see us up

We will see. Still not sure if being in the PL and fighting relegation each season is better than being in the championship and fighting for promotion. Those last 3 seasons in the PL around the turn of the century were truly demoralizing, and the less said about 2007/2008 the better.

If you can go up and do a Wolves then great.

Of course I would love to see us win things. A trophy would be nice. But I don't go to watch Man Utd etc I go to watch Derby and if that means we are playing Luton at home instead of Chelsea then I am quite happy.

24 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

We will see. Still not sure if being in the PL and fighting relegation each season is better than being in the championship and fighting for promotion. Those last 3 seasons in the PL around the turn of the century were truly demoralizing, and the less said about 2007/2008 the better.

If you can go up and do a Wolves then great.

Of course I would love to see us win things. A trophy would be nice. But I don't go to watch Man Utd etc I go to watch Derby and if that means we are playing Luton at home instead of Chelsea then I am quite happy.

I think people are too scared of the prem tho, sometimes I wonder if it’s this mentality that hurts us a bit, ludicrous as it sounds. I really can’t envisage us being anywhere near as bad as we were last time. It might take a while to establish ourselves, but even a bit of yoyoing with parachute payments wouldn’t be all that bad. I’m convinced we’d get there eventually and there’s nothing to fear.

I get what you mean about not going to watch the opposition, but I think a major thing in needing to go up beyond the obvious financial reasons and achieving something, is the quality of players we’d be able to attract. Dunno ability everyone else but I want to watch the best players in a Derby shirt, watching players like Mount was a joy. That’ll only happen consistently if we get up.

Archived