Is another season in the Championship really that bad?

Boycie

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Speaking to villa fans on the train back, while the finances are a game changer they’ve really enjoyed being in the championship, as one put it next season there will be a squad overhaul and there will be a big push to try and finish 16th!!! 

Would they have said that next season, or if they'd been there with no dosh to splash around!

15 hours ago, Chester40 said:

IF what you describe happens of course that would be great, and possibly preferable.

But there is a larger possiblity we will lose Frank, sell players we don't want to,  not replace Mount etc, and finish mid-table....and that is depressing as hell.

Why would we lose Frank? On paper, by the criteria in which success is measured, he is not yet a success.

13 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Did they all cheat to get promotion - I named teams we should be able to emulate. Did Cardiff, WBA etc etc. The point being how can you be happy to be in the Championship when you see who can get promoted. Did Huddersfield cheat?

You chose the three who did cheat though. Leicester cheated as well. Newcastle made our spending look like small change even if it was technically within the rules. Fulham would have lost £60 mill in one season before player sales in 17/18. Of the teams currently in the Prem you are left with Huddersfield, Brighton, Burnley and Cardiff who were promoted fairly recently and did it without either breaking FFP or finding some other way to subvert the rules - 2 of them were relegated (Huddersfield did their absolute best to beat our record) and Brighton stayed up by the skin of their teeth. Aston Villa were about to follow in our footsteps and sell their stadium if they didn't go up, but they still had an absolutely ludicrously high wage bill. Norwich and Shef Utd did do good jobs on very limited budgets though and I expect both of them to come straight back down. We are pretty much one of the few clubs who has spent big and not been promoted.

I want to get promoted purely for the money - the actual league is boring and we'd just likely be competing for the bottom 4 positions - certainly never going to win it. There are 7 teams qualifying for Europe this year and only one is a team you wouldn't have expected. At least we are in with a chance of winning the Championship and we can pretend its the old division 1 since its the same trophy.

14 minutes ago, GenBr said:

You chose the three who did cheat though. Leicester cheated as well. Newcastle made our spending look like small change even if it was technically within the rules.

In which case Mel has already cheated.

The point I made was not to do with how the clubs got there but the reality of the 'standing' of the club pre-Prem/post-Prem.

12 hours ago, rammieib said:

Of course I'm watching, and of course I'll do as many away games as possible. Doesn't take away my view I want us to be in the Premier League.

I can't see how anyone can say that being in the Championship is fine. If it's based on 'readiness' then my point will be are we ever going to be ready. We will always have loan signings and always have players not Premiership ready. That's part of reality.

How did you take my post as I won't be watching?

It depends how you read it I guess?  I took it you’d had enough of the nearly there feeling.

But I’m glad you’re still with us for the ride. ??

Luton away, or Spurs away. Yeah, it's quite bad. Skipping over the financial point, I'm sick of playing the same teams over and over again. I'm bored of playing Forest. Even if it was just a year, it'd have been nice to face some different teams. 

I'll tell you next May how bad another season in this division is. I'm slowly getting my head around the Villa defeat and looking forward to being competitive again. However the Championship is an unpredictable beast so there is no complacency from me that we will be up there again. That's part of the championships charm, nobody can truly gauge how it will pan out.

I was over the defeat on the way back to Derby from the train tbh after I'd had a couple of hours to think about it. There are three options in the premier league: 1) get a sugar daddy like man city and build a dream team 2) do a wolves and compete with the top 6/7 for a little while (ideally this is the best model) 3) struggle every year to try and cling on until you eventually fall through the trap door. 

I think on reflection only the second one looks appealing to me. The first option seems to drain the excitement and soul out of the club after a few years, i mean just look at man city fans during the FA cup final. They didn't look terribly excited or nervous, rather it was a foregone conclusion they'd win and simply met expectations. Do people really want to be like sunderland or brighton? clinging on desperately for years until they're eventually gone doesn't sound too appealing.  Maybe we could have done a wolves, build a team around a spine and play an exciting no fear brand of football which catapults us up into higher mid-table with a cup semi-final as well. However, i think we'd have far more likely to have been the third option. Given that I'd rather take another year in the second division with cheaper tickets, plenty of northern away days and the excitement of will we won't we go up for another year. 

Of course I want us to go up and be the best club we can be and i think that's true of every fan. I'd love to see us compete in europe or an FA cup semi-final, but I'm happy with where we are with an exciting young team and manager all pulling together to get the club back to the top. 

19 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Luton away, or Spurs away. Yeah, it's quite bad. Skipping over the financial point, I'm sick of playing the same teams over and over again. I'm bored of playing Forest. Even if it was just a year, it'd have been nice to face some different teams. 

Blimey just think about the Scots who get to see everybody four times a season it’s so bad they can’t be bothered to see them at Christmas anymore 

1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

Blimey just think about the Scots who get to see everybody four times a season it’s so bad they can’t be bothered to see them at Christmas anymore 

Yeah, I'd hate that. If we had to face Blackburn and Wigan 4 times a season I'd fall out of love with football very quickly. Still doesn't change my point, it's invariably the same teams being recycled up and down out of this league every year. 

16 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Huge disappointment at Wembley but as each day passes it becomes less of a big deal. Last time we were promoted, going to the 'big' clubs was enjoyable until the games started then having been battered, the journey home was depressing.

Looking forward now to (hopefully) Lampard making 2 or 3 good permanent signings, another couple of quality loans, seeing the retained list, waiting for the fixtures to come out then going to the first match of a new season with batteries fully charged.

Totally agree,if we can build on this season by bringing in a couple of useful signings,further developing the likes of Holmes, and Bogle .Perhaps blooding a few more youngsters have Marriott and Waggers firing  on all cylinders automatic promotion should be out aim. Obviously finding replacements for Wilson,Mount and Tomori will be key☺ In Frank and Jodie we must trust.All positive from me 

17 hours ago, Gritters said:

True I haven’t been to Kenilworth Road. I’ll never forget back in the 80’s when Millwall had a riot there and it was a proper riot. Worse than any seat throwing Leeds or Chelsea did at the BBG.

The plastic pitch was the main crime!

2 hours ago, Boycie said:

It depends how you read it I guess?  I took it you’d had enough of the nearly there feeling.

But I’m glad you’re still with us for the ride. ??

Not at all Boycie. I simply don’t understand how anyone can say being in the Championship is better as if it is, then exactly what are those fans playing for.

Archived