Is another season in the Championship really that bad?

Boycie

4 hours ago, Gritters said:

True I haven’t been to Kenilworth Road. I’ll never forget back in the 80’s when Millwall had a riot there and it was a proper riot. Worse than any seat throwing Leeds or Chelsea did at the BBG.

We had a proper riot there back in the 70's. The Luton lads attacked us as we made our way back to the station, they had a little mob who wore sheepskin coats and Doc Martens and the Derby lads gave it back......twas a running battle for a few hundred yards.

Derby Aggro, Derby Aggro, hello, hello, Derby Aggro.

Its not big and its not clever btw.?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

We had a proper riot there back in the 70's. The Luton lads attacked us as we made our way back to the station, they had a little mob who wore sheepskin coats and Doc Martens and the Derby lads gave it back......twas a running battle for a few hundred yards.

Derby Aggro, Derby Aggro, hello, hello, Derby Aggro.

Its not big and its not clever btw.?

I was there and was a mini riot as I remember both home and away fans came out of the same exit into the streets and were picking up peoples empty milk bottles and throwing them at each other and no where to go in those tight little streets....was quite nasty to be honest

10 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

As Mick Channon famously said when Saints got to the FA cup final in 1976 v Manure..........'now we have got there we need to win the bloody thing'. That's how I feel, that missed opportunity might see us in the Championship for a number of years to come......

Agree with this as there is no guarantee we will be top 6 next season.....after the QPR game i thought we'd be automatic the next season (with a team that was better than the side that played Villa )especially after getting Thorne on a permanent but it took us 5 years to get to another play off final and have been nowhere near the top two so a massive pre season for Frank with a lot of players going and coming in .....I don't think we were good enough to go up but none the less think we missed a massive opurtunity against Villa who were there for the beating ......saying all that though I like the championship and can't wait already for next season

COYR 

We aren't equipped for the Prem. We need a settled side with players that know each other so well that interaction is at an instinctive level. It takes several, seasons to  build this.  Going up, getting a weekly pasting, coming back down...….again......is not what we need.   Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt. Home made but it doesn't make pretty reading. All that effort. all that indignity, 11 points...…………... 

Sith Happens
45 minutes ago, t'oldu said:

We aren't equipped for the Prem. We need a settled side with players that know each other so well that interaction is at an instinctive level. It takes several, seasons to  build this.  Going up, getting a weekly pasting, coming back down...….again......is not what we need.   Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt. Home made but it doesn't make pretty reading. All that effort. all that indignity, 11 points...…………... 

For me going up this time against last time would have been totally different.

Billy was acting up, even, and the team, the team we had was miles away from PL quality and we hardly added to it.

The team that day, how many would you seriously have included in this seasons team?

Bywater, Mears, Leacock, Moore, McEveley, Fagan (Edworthy 83), Oakley, Seth Johnson (Jones 87), Pearson, Howard, Peschisolido (Barnes 58).
Subs Not Used: Camp, Macken.

Then the team which started the opening game:

Bywater, Mears, Moore, Davis, Griffin (McEveley 80), Fagan, Oakley, Todd, Pearson, Howard, Earnshaw (Teale 74).
Subs Not Used: Price, Jones, Macken.

It makes me cringe just looking at it. I cant even imagine either of those teams competing in the championship never mind the PL.

That opening day team looks worse than the one we had in the Play off final.

Shocking.

No way we would have been that bad this time. Not saying we would 100% stay up, but no way 11 points.

13 hours ago, goldstar said:

Have to agree, in a way, it's the thought of the premier league and getting there more than actually being in it that's better. Sort of a big fish in a small pond rather than little fish in a massive pond 

Good Cod, you are angling for a couple of likes there

The coolest way to go up is to develop the academy and storm into the prem with a squad of hungry homegrowns.

Carry on doing what we're doing and in a couple of years we'll be fretting over who's going to replace Morgan Whittaker now Real Madrid have met his £150m buyout clause...

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

We will never be equipped for the Prem whilst in the Championship. The only way we will become equipped is by getting promoted and making plans in the summer.  There’s no right way to go up.

Reading this thread makes me think of this guy. 

Speaking to villa fans on the train back, while the finances are a game changer they’ve really enjoyed being in the championship, as one put it next season there will be a squad overhaul and there will be a big push to try and finish 16th!!! 

That being said, the first season in the prem under Jim (last season at the BBG) is still my favourite season! 

Sith Happens
Just now, BramcoteRam84 said:

Speaking to villa fans on the train back, while the finances are a game changer they’ve really enjoyed being in the championship, as one put it next season there will be a squad overhaul and there will be a big push to try and finish 16th!!! 

That being said, the first season in the prem under Jim (last season at the BBG) is still my favourite season! 

Know what you mean, it did feel like we achieved something, staying up comfortably so, and beating Utd.

The seasons we finished top 10 and challenged for europe were no doubt better football, but sort of felt like we failed rather than achieved.

The last 3 seasons the less said really. Seemed like a 3 season fight against relegation.

Perhaps we should write to someone and explain thats its getting a little bit boring now.

could we please have burnley back down because its making us look bad since they have done so much better than us whilst being managed by a ginger with the voice of Phyllis from Coronation Street.

also Southampton, as we think we can beat them.

and We don't really want Luton, because we'll have watch footage of David Pleat skipping across the pitch with a semi on.

Archived