Is another season in the Championship really that bad?

Boycie

Huge disappointment at Wembley but as each day passes it becomes less of a big deal. Last time we were promoted, going to the 'big' clubs was enjoyable until the games started then having been battered, the journey home was depressing.

Looking forward now to (hopefully) Lampard making 2 or 3 good permanent signings, another couple of quality loans, seeing the retained list, waiting for the fixtures to come out then going to the first match of a new season with batteries fully charged.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Boycie said:

Obviously financially Yes it is.

But purely being selfish, the possibility of winning more than we lose, a possible automatic place and a full season of positive progression towards the Prem instead of limping there on the fumes of an empty tank.

Yes, I’m sure some would look forward to the big teams coming if we had beaten Villa, but maybe next season we can storm up the league like Norwich have done this year.

I’m totally over the Wembley defeat as I didn’t go into the game with and expectation of us winning. (Especially after hearing the team WAYHAY!)

Who’s with me?

Here’s to next season! Come on you Rams!

As Mick Channon famously said when Saints got to the FA cup final in 1976 v Manure..........'now we have got there we need to win the bloody thing'. That's how I feel, that missed opportunity might see us in the Championship for a number of years to come......

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

As Mick Channon famously said when Saints got to the FA cup final in 1976 v Manure..........'now we have got there we need to win the bloody thing'. That's how I feel, that missed opportunity might see us in the Championship for a number of years to come......

Totally agree it was a good opportunity missed but the players character will be judged on how they react to that disappointment. To keep going back to it will be self-defeating.

9 minutes ago, GenBr said:

So all we need to do is either breach FFP like Bournemouth did, have a super agent get us cut price champions league players and lose £60 million in one year like Wolves did or get Mel to buy some sister clubs abroad and get them to send us all of their best players like Watford did. 

That isn't what I said.

13 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

That isn't what I said.

You said there was no reason we couldn't do as well as Bournemouth, Wolves or Watford with some reasonable signings and the right manager. I gave you a reason why that almost certainly won't happen unless we decide to cheat like they did. They built the core of their squads in the championship and bar Watford still have the same manager from their championship seasons. A more reasonable target would be the likes of Burnley who have managed to build steadily yoyoing and sticking with the manager until they were able to qualify for Europe and maintain Prem status. Doesn't mean it is impossible to do just unlikely.

1 hour ago, GenBr said:

I don't mind the Championship. It'd be nice to see if we could compete in the Prem, but I think we'd be in a better shape if we go up after one more season under Frank.

Our two biggest games next season will still be in the Championship as well - Forest and Leeds. There are a lot of big teams in the Championship that we'd miss if we went up - 8 champions of england with 19 titles between them. Plus 25+ FA cups and I think one of them won a European cup or two. Outside the top 6 in the Prem there aren't exactly a huge number of exciting fixtures.

The only reason to go up is for the money, so we don't go out of business trying to compete in the EFL. Lets be honest no matter how well we do we will only be competing in the bottom 14 mini league in the Prem - not exactly exciting.

Sorry but what a load of tosh that the only reason to go up is for the money. Why even bother with football if that's your reason? Plus do I assume you're happy with 21st place?

I want the club in the best league in the world. I want the best players in the world coming to Pride Park every week. I want our club to have more media attention. I want our club to be the greatest it can be in all areas. I want to live to the dream that we can do a Leicester City regardless of how remote that chance is. All of this is only possible in the Premier League.

3 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Sorry but what a load of tosh that the only reason to go up is for the money. Why even bother with football if that's your reason? Plus do I assume you're happy with 21st place?

I want the club in the best league in the world. I want the best players in the world coming to Pride Park every week. I want our club to have more media attention. I want our club to be the greatest it can be in all areas. I want to live to the dream that we can do a Leicester City regardless of how remote that chance is. All of this is only possible in the Premier League.

You not watching next season then? ☹️

All im saying is we go again.

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

Obviously financially Yes it is.

But purely being selfish, the possibility of winning more than we lose, a possible automatic place and a full season of positive progression towards the Prem instead of limping there on the fumes of an empty tank.

Yes, I’m sure some would look forward to the big teams coming if we had beaten Villa, but maybe next season we can storm up the league like Norwich have done this year.

I’m totally over the Wembley defeat as I didn’t go into the game with and expectation of us winning. (Especially after hearing the team WAYHAY!)

Who’s with me?

Here’s to next season! Come on you Rams!

Yep happy with all this, especially if Frank is still on board. First full season behind him, learn from his mistakes and go again. Release some of the dead wood, bring through more of the youngsters plus a loan or two and we go again. Smash the league. What’s not to like. COYR. 

25 minutes ago, GenBr said:

You said there was no reason we couldn't do as well as Bournemouth, Wolves or Watford with some reasonable signings and the right manager. I gave you a reason why that almost certainly won't happen unless we decide to cheat like they did. 

Did they all cheat to get promotion - I named teams we should be able to emulate. Did Cardiff, WBA etc etc. The point being how can you be happy to be in the Championship when you see who can get promoted. Did Huddersfield cheat?

I'm comfortable with another season at this level. As evidenced by the all-English finals in both European competitions, the Premiership is having one of its strongest periods & this really isn't the time to fluke a promotion. Last time there was an all-English CL final, it coincided with our 11 point season - I remember thinking even the other teams in the bottom 6 that year seemed so strong.

Have enjoyed this season more than any since 13/14 but I didn't think at any stage we were good enough to go up. Lets do it properly. We're now able to release a number of highly paid out of contract players & have an exciting youth set up so we're going in the right direction.

I definitely do want Derby back in the Premiership very soon though - yes, its been nice to be consistently winning more than we lose but we're settling for mediocrity being content in the second tier. Cloughie wouldn't have tolerated it, Cox didn't accept it, Jim Smith didn't accept it and neither should we.

I love the championship - yes we need the premiership for the money but little else and yes I would have liked to go to Tottenham new ground but I don’t like Sunday football at all but I do like 3 games a week floodlights and all but missing out on watching Watford Bournemouth Burnley Brighton Crystal Palace is filling me with deep regret ???

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

It would be so Derby to get promoted and finish 21st in a league of 20. 

All I can really say on this point is yes it's bad .  Potentially,  we all  know that defeat could set us back a few seasons . Sorry , I would much prefer Anfield to Oakwell againnnn. zzzzzzzzzz  As a club we shouldn't fear going up .  Consider any number of club's up there and how pant's some of them were when promoted .  Palace immediately spring to mind -star man Jason Puncheon .  

2 hours ago, Boycie said:

You not watching next season then? ☹️

All im saying is we go again.

Of course I'm watching, and of course I'll do as many away games as possible. Doesn't take away my view I want us to be in the Premier League.

I can't see how anyone can say that being in the Championship is fine. If it's based on 'readiness' then my point will be are we ever going to be ready. We will always have loan signings and always have players not Premiership ready. That's part of reality.

How did you take my post as I won't be watching?

37 minutes ago, lukedcfc said:

I love the championship, more excitement and more competitive. The only Positives about being in the premier leagues are going to better grounds and the money. 

So what's success for you! 7th?

Archived