Anyone else rent a house out?

Sith Happens

11 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

My son rented a place for a while after finishing university.

He decided to take down paintings from the walls to protect them from potential damage and stored them in a dry safe area for when he left.

When he did leave, he cut the grass, trimmed the bushes and dug the garden.

He even painted a few of the rooms that had more traffic.

All in all it was much cleaner and in a better condition than when I helped him move in.

He did however forget to put the paintings back up. The landlord with held all his money so he could - and I will quote in brackets "Get a professional handy man in to put the paintings back up".

We fought every way we could but never saw a penny back.

I am shocked that any deposit scheme would not return some deposit. Was he asked to submit any evidence by the scheme, and if so was it done in time? 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Boycie said:

Does this new landlord deposit scheme help with unreasonable withholding of money?

I don't know as my son now has his own place.

I was furious at the time, more so with the estate agents who were not interested at all.

7 hours ago, rynny said:

I am shocked that any deposit scheme would not return some deposit. Was he asked to submit any evidence by the scheme, and if so was it done in time? 

It was a first time that any of my family had rented. We tried everything we could even the estate agents weren't interested.

I read that landlords can charge for professional cleaning, but it must be itemised with receipts etc.

Some of the fees at lettings agents were outrageous.. Not unheard of to be £400/500 out of pocket in fees before youve even paid any rent or deposit in London. Even if these costs are added back in through rent increases, this is preferable. 

3 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

It was a first time that any of my family had rented. We tried everything we could even the estate agents weren't interested.

Agents are supposed to be neutral and help both parties with claims. The only way I can see a landlord keeping the whole deposit is if the deposit scheme didn't receive any evidence from your son or the landlord/agents hadn't registered the deposit. If it is the latter then your son can claim up to 3 times the deposit back off the landlord/agent.

33 minutes ago, rynny said:

Agents are supposed to be neutral and help both parties with claims. The only way I can see a landlord keeping the whole deposit is if the deposit scheme didn't receive any evidence from your son or the landlord/agents hadn't registered the deposit. If it is the latter then your son can claim up to 3 times the deposit back off the landlord/agent.

How long has the deposited scheme been in? Maybe we are going back a few years.

Sith Happens
13 hours ago, mozza said:

Full management, as described, is 10% of total rent, rent collection only is 5%, as a rule of thumb. 

Yep thats it

Sith Happens
8 hours ago, rynny said:

They are supposed to be neutral,  my experience is they side with the tenants.

I really need to swop agents.

8 hours ago, rynny said:

15 years I think

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Do the agents have their own deposit schemes then?

Just now, Boycie said:

Do the agents have their own deposit schemes then?

They are government run schemes, the one we used was The DPS. There are some insurance ones as well, I believe, but I have never had any dealings with those. 

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Sounds like it, especially if they are charging a percentage, try to find a flat rate one. 

On 31/05/2019 at 19:30, Paul71 said:

So i rent a single house out. The government keep changing the rules to make this a less attractive proposition for landlords.

New rules coming in that seem to give me no protection if the tenant trashes the place. 

I go through a letting agency and they are as much use..

Anyone understand the new rules. Previously had tennants leave the property in a right state and needed deep cleaning,  told now if they do that we have to foot the costs to clean.

Surely all this does is take my properties off the market as landlords can't be bothered and sell or inflates rents.

For good reason IMO, quite topical as well given there is a by-election in a part of the world that has been ravaged by private landlords trading off poor peoples' misery. 

Quickest way to kill a dinner party is when the "accidental landlord" bleats on about how hard done by they are!  When I realised I'd never return to Derbyshire my only intention was to sell up (left empty until then), the idea of banging a tenant in while they pay my mortgage off didn't sit well with me at all given my own terrible experience of renting. If you don't like being a landlord, sell up. Simples. They don't IME because their tenant's labour is a lucrative commodity. Few other markets available to the layman where you can leverage a £10-20k deposit for multi-bagger returns.

Perspective wise, the experience of being both an owner and renting for almost 10 years was pretty enlightening. As a dyed-in-the-wool Tory, protections for tenants against private landlords is one of the few areas I'm on the same hymn sheet as Momentum with, let alone the Labour party! My experience of renting for years in the SE was generally horrific and echoed by most of my mates as well. I moved around a lot so was a frequent hostage to the obscene charges made by letting agents which didn't help. And also enjoyed the landlords who didn't put a penny into a place (all of them IME) during the entire tenancy but then having the audacity to charge you if so much as a light bulb was unaccounted for. I always ended up writing chunks of the deposits off; landlords and agents trying it on. Fortunately I wasn't hard up for the money and had better things to do with my life than haggle with an accidental landlord about a £5 toilet brush...almost as if I hadn;t written them a cheque for tens of thousands while they sat on their backsides. Not a way I'd ever want to make money after living through it.

Well my mortgage provider pulled the plug on any idea of me renting. Seems Tesco bank have no interest in buy to let, or even giving you consent to lease on the short term..

Back to square one and trying to sell for me ?New agent coming in next week

In order to help fund care home fees I decided to rent out my mum's house using what is supposed to be a reputable agent. It was a nightmare. The first tenant turned out to be a paedophile although I didn't find out until I saw his picture in the telegraph. The second tenant used the house for growing cannabis. Letting agent supposedly checked on the house. The house stank and we had to get it steam cleaned twice. I decided I'd had enough of being a landlord and sold the house. I would never do it again.

Archived