Anyone else rent a house out?

Sith Happens

Sith Happens

So i rent a single house out. The government keep changing the rules to make this a less attractive proposition for landlords.

New rules coming in that seem to give me no protection if the tenant trashes the place. 

I go through a letting agency and they are as much use..

Anyone understand the new rules. Previously had tennants leave the property in a right state and needed deep cleaning,  told now if they do that we have to foot the costs to clean.

Surely all this does is take my properties off the market as landlords can't be bothered and sell or inflates rents.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

So i rent a single house out. The government keep changing the rules to make this a less attractive proposition for landlords.

New rules coming in that seem to give me no protection if the tenant trashes the place. 

I go through a letting agency and they are as much use..

Anyone understand the new rules. Previously had tennants leave the property in a right state and needed deep cleaning,  told now if they do that we have to foot the costs to clean.

Surely all this does is take my properties off the market as landlords can't be bothered and sell or inflates rents.

I used to rent my first house out, was a nightmare.

Regarding them risks to you, won’t it just push the rents up if there’s no protection against retaining some of the deposit to cover costs?

The government needs more housing, seems like they’re squeezing the rentals to make them attractive to tenants while ignoring the landlords.

After all, if you’re a landlord everyone thinks you’re loaded.  It’s often not the case.

Sith Happens
5 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I used to rent my first house out, was a nightmare.

Regarding them risks to you, won’t it just push the rents up if there’s no protection against retaining some of the deposit to cover costs?

The government needs more housing, seems like they’re squeezing the rentals to make them attractive to tenants while ignoring the landlords.

After all, if you’re a landlord everyone thinks you’re loaded.  It’s often not the case.

I get what they are trying to do. There are lots of rogue landlords out there we know that.

I know its difficult. 

I think im a good landlord,  if something goes wrong i get it fixed,  but if someone leaves poo all over the place, which has happened then yeah i want to charge them for it.

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

I get what they are trying to do. There are lots of rogue landlords out there we know that.

I know its difficult. 

I think im a good landlord,  if something goes wrong i get it fixed,  but if someone leaves poo all over the place, which has happened then yeah i want to charge them for it.

Isn't that what deposits are for?

8 hours ago, philmycock said:

That’s what I thought, usually tenants pay a deposit and a month rent up front.

If it’s in the tenancy agreement that you trash the place you lose your deposit (standard I thought) and they sign the agreement, they don’t have a leg to stand on.

Unlikely they will take you through the courts for the money.

Sith Happens
9 hours ago, philmycock said:

30 minutes ago, David said:

That’s what I thought, usually tenants pay a deposit and a month rent up front.

If it’s in the tenancy agreement that you trash the place you lose your deposit (standard I thought) and they sign the agreement, they don’t have a leg to stand on.

Unlikely they will take you through the courts for the money.

We have had an email from our lettings agency advising we will be able to deduct from the deposit if there is damage to the property. But in future and cleaning/gardening costs cant be covered.

Its is part of the agreement its left in the condition they moved in. So gardens and inside should be maintained. They rarely are. I am not bothered if it needs a surface clean and the grass needs mowing etc. We always do that anyway between tenants. Also not bothered if a scuff here and there on walls, i can paint those, always keep spare paint in the same colours.

Its proper grime i am talking about. Had carpets full of dog / cat hair before, not bad for saying they weren't supposed to have pets ?

I do get the protection some tenants are needed, because some landlords would charge for insignificant stuff.

Will just have to see how it goes. Hopefully not an issue as our current tenants seem decent sorts.

Sith Happens
9 hours ago, Needless said:

Was thinking about it. What sort of property is it, if you don't mind me asking?

Just a 2 up 2 down semi.

16 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

We have had an email from our lettings agency advising we will be able to deduct from the deposit if there is damage to the property. But in future and cleaning/gardening costs cant be covered.

Its is part of the agreement its left in the condition they moved in. So gardens and inside should be maintained. They rarely are. I am not bothered if it needs a surface clean and the grass needs mowing etc. We always do that anyway between tenants. Also not bothered if a scuff here and there on walls, i can paint those, always keep spare paint in the same colours.

Its proper grime i am talking about. Had carpets full of dog / cat hair before, not bad for saying they weren't supposed to have pets ?

I do get the protection some tenants are needed, because some landlords would charge for insignificant stuff.

Will just have to see how it goes. Hopefully not an issue as our current tenants seem decent sorts.

Sounds like your agents are talking bull poo. Do you know which deposit scheme/company they use? 

I used to work for a letting agency and still try to follow what is happening, as I rent and have relatives that still work there, I have to say I haven't heard of any changes of what the deposit can be used for and can not find anything online. 

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, rynny said:

Sounds like your agents are talking bull poo. Do you know which deposit scheme/company they use? 

I used to work for a letting agency and still try to follow what is happening, as I rent and have relatives that still work there, I have to say I haven't heard of any changes of what the deposit can be used for and can not find anything online. 

I dont no.

To be honest I pay them to sort as i dont want the hassle.

24 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I dont no.

To be honest I pay them to sort as i dont want the hassle.

They should have told you who they use. Most agents put on their website who they use, if they do advertise which deposit scheme they use look on the scheme's website, they are really helpful and will ease your mind. 

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, rynny said:

They should have told you who they use. Most agents put on their website who they use, if they do advertise which deposit scheme they use look on the scheme's website, they are really helpful and will ease your mind. 

will do cheers

Sounds like a nightmare Paul. I will add I've recently had issues selling my house in Berkshire (moved back to the midlands) so we're going to rent out for 12-18 months. Nice money spinner hopefully.

I'll pay attention to how this thread develops! 

My son rented a place for a while after finishing university.

He decided to take down paintings from the walls to protect them from potential damage and stored them in a dry safe area for when he left.

When he did leave, he cut the grass, trimmed the bushes and dug the garden.

He even painted a few of the rooms that had more traffic.

All in all it was much cleaner and in a better condition than when I helped him move in.

He did however forget to put the paintings back up. The landlord with held all his money so he could - and I will quote in brackets "Get a professional handy man in to put the paintings back up".

We fought every way we could but never saw a penny back.

Sith Happens
6 hours ago, Red_Dawn said:

Sounds like a nightmare Paul. I will add I've recently had issues selling my house in Berkshire (moved back to the midlands) so we're going to rent out for 12-18 months. Nice money spinner hopefully.

I'll pay attention to how this thread develops! 

Its not headache free, most of the time its ok. I go fully managed because i dont want the tenant calling me at all hours, but i know i get ripped off by the letting agent its just less stress.

Sith Happens
6 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

He decided to take down paintings from the walls to protect them from potential damage and stored them in a dry safe area for when he left.

All in all it was much cleaner and in a better condition than when I helped him move in.

He did however forget to put the paintings back up. The landlord with held all his money so he could - and I will quote in brackets "Get a professional handy man in to put the paintings back up".

And i bet that handy man was him going round and putting them up.

This is the issue for landlords like me, there are lots out there who treat tennants poorly and it reflects on everyone.

8 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

Does this new landlord deposit scheme help with unreasonable withholding of money?

5 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Its not headache free, most of the time its ok. I go fully managed because i dont want the tenant calling me at all hours, but i know i get ripped off by the letting agent its just less stress.

How much do you pay, if you don't mind me asking? 

Archived