The Championship 19/20

David

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

More to that than meets the eye.

Only rumours, but it sounds like it was transfer related - Stendel wanted to bring in more experienced players during the transfer windows, but the owners wouldn't sign off on it (I assume for money related reasons). Stendel kept bringing it up in post match interviews, etc and the owners didn't like it, so got rid. 

If true I can see where he is coming from - against us the three oldest players were 24 years old - then after that its 22 and virtually everyone else is 21 and under. All three subs were 20 or under. I would hope a Championship club (not Stoke though since they'd ruin him) take a chance on Stendel and actually back him, as he did a great job in League 1 with the resources available to him.

8 hours ago, GenBr said:

Only rumours, but it sounds like it was transfer related - Stendel wanted to bring in more experienced players during the transfer windows, but the owners wouldn't sign off on it (I assume for money related reasons). Stendel kept bringing it up in post match interviews, etc and the owners didn't like it, so got rid. 

If true I can see where he is coming from - against us the three oldest players were 24 years old - then after that its 22 and virtually everyone else is 21 and under. All three subs were 20 or under. I would hope a Championship club (not Stoke though since they'd ruin him) take a chance on Stendel and actually back him, as he did a great job in League 1 with the resources available to him.

Not sure I blame either party either. Stendel lost his two centre-halves and ‘keeper and had them replaced with kids. Right to be annoyed. 

But Barnsley’s transfer policy could have been a master-stroke if executed correctly. Leipzig haven’t done too badly only signing under-24s.

Isn’t that four sackings already in the Championship? I genuinely can’t get my head around any of these sackings actually.

Were Millwall, Barnsley and Reading really expecting to be more competitive? Were Huddersfield really expecting to bounce back so quickly?

If it was Brentford or Boro, you could understand it. But for the other clubs, they were all pencilled in for difficult and inconsistent seasons, so why pull the trigger after 11 games or fewer? 

There is such a long way to go and fortunes can change rather quickly in this division, so I don’t see why anyone is getting the chop at this point. 

In the space of six games, you can go from looking like you’re in a relegation battle to suddenly being in the top six or at the very least, knocking on the door, so why wouldn’t you bide your time?

If you are in the bottom 6 with 10 games to go, I can understand some nerves creeping in.

But after 11 games? This just shows how crazy and unforgiving football management is nowadays.

These clubs should be looking at Preston as a model. They don’t usually panic and their managers get time to lay down some foundations. They have had two managers in six years. Some stability can make a whole lot of difference.

1 hour ago, David said:

Millwall didn’t sack Harris, he stepped down 

OK, I stand corrected. I didn’t catch the particulars of his departure. I only read the match report when Millwall beat Leeds and saw that there was a caretaker manager in charge.

But the general point and the wider trend still applies - managers are getting sacked so hastily and getting less and less time in jobs and it is crazy.

It makes you wonder who will be next.

I know nothing about the rest but Barnsley is a interesting one. They won't sing a player over 24 (which is a recruiting policy af RBL as well and they are not doing badly) and the manager wanted a experienced leader to the team.... Also, he mentioned that one basically in every interview so I don't think there was ever any other options than this.

When the trust is gone, everything is gone.

31 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Its a marriage made in Poohouse Heaven.....?

Another 3 points we wont get as we never do well against ex managers....

Fortunately, we never did do well against Millwall anyway, so we're not losing too much

Decent appointment for Millwall, be interesting to see how he gets on. 

Think he could have held out for a slightly better job, his time at Stoke can be written off as the place is a mess.

Can understand him wanting to get straight back in and out the Sky Sports studio. 

A defensive counter attacking manager at a club who everyone will have a good go at. 

Won't be expected to carve open 10 men behind the ball teams. 

He should do ok. 

I wonder if their fans are talking about the time he won the Champions League with Birmingham and became the world's greatest young manager.

Archived