The Championship 19/20

David

34 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Pretty much exactly the point I was trying to make, but made better than I could manage!?

Think people sometimes underestimate the difference between league one and championship clubs because the difference in player quality between the lower champ and upper L1 isn’t that High. But there’s more to it than that when you’re moving to a much bigger club, which is exactly what Cowley is doing moving from a club that was in league two last year to One that was in the prem last year. You end up with a a club with a much more professional set up, more staff than you’ve ever been used to handling, more day to day responsibilities etc, and that’s a big change when you’ve been somewhere previously with an almost non league set up. You have to get used to not having total control over transfers etc etc. And that’s the case moving to most championship clubs, as most have been in the prem since the turn of the century at some point or another. 

Its a big jump when you’ve been in league one for a while, yet alone when you’ve only been there a month! In the former case, you’d probably argue you’re ready by now for the step up, but in the latter it’s a real gamble by the team appointing you. Not saying experience is everything, but with managers it is generally very important imo. There are always outliers to the norm who manage to make massive leaps up with no bother at all, as there are exceptions with almost anything in football as it’s so unpredictable. But in general, experience is important for a manager, and I’d say this is a big gamble. One that could work out of course, but not one I’d be taking if I was Huddersfield.

Big gamble for Cowley too. He’s riding high on the crest of a wave at the minute. Maybe this is the right time for him to cash in on that. But if he crashes and burns at huddersfield, his reputation will be in tatters (people rarely take contact into account when judging your rep). 

Unless the guy at stoke can turn a corner pretty quick, this’ll end up happening to him, when he probably would have been better off sticking with Luton and taking them to the championship himself. They’ll end up finishing higher than stoke this season. 

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Big gamble for Cowley too. He’s riding high on the crest of a wave at the minute. Maybe this is the right time for him to cash in on that. But if he crashes and burns at huddersfield, his reputation will be in tatters (people rarely take contact into account when judging your rep). 

Unless the guy at stoke can turn a corner pretty quick, this’ll end up happening to him, when he probably would have been better off sticking with Luton and taking them to the championship himself. They’ll end up finishing higher than stoke this season. 

Definitely, think you’d have to take it if you were in his shoes as it’s a massive opportunity that may only present itself once, but it really could go tits up, and he’ll be right back down to league one at the best. 

Nathan Jones is a great example as you say of how quickly things can go wrong. Football is a tough business, and things chnage very quickly. I can’t imagine stoke keeping him on if this form carries on for a couple more months at most. Then he’ll be straight back down to league one I’d think, when he could’ve been in the championship with the club he was originally with down there right now. Again, you can absolutely see why these managers would take jobs at bigger clubs- I certainly would, but it really can end badly.

5 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Forest an example of what good scouting and recruitment can do 

Fair play to them

Yeah they seem to be doing ok. It is still early though, i bet if you look back at the last 5 or 6 seasons on this date they are probably higher in the table than us in most of them.

7 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Yeah they seem to be doing ok. It is still early though, i bet if you look back at the last 5 or 6 seasons on this date they are probably higher in the table than us in most of them.

Its the team. Looks balanced, strength in all areas bar attack (only way I can see them missing top 6 is if grabban gets injured). Nice recruitment, getting lots of players for small amounts, rather than spunking 80k wages on a past it england player when we needed a winger, keeper and cm so badly 

Very smart

11 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Forest an example of what good scouting and recruitment can do 

Fair play to them

Step 1: Use super agent to buy players below market value.

Step 2: Sell the expensive players you bought to the owners other club, so they don't impact FFP.

They are using a mix of the Watford and Wolves approach to getting promoted, but I wouldn't say it really has anything to do with good scouting.

3 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Step 1: Use super agent to buy players below market value.

Step 2: Sell the expensive players you bought to the owners other club, so they don't impact FFP.

They are using a mix of the Watford and Wolves approach to getting promoted, but I wouldn't say it really has anything to do with good scouting.

Clever, either way

4 hours ago, GenBr said:

Step 1: Use independent valuer to buy stadium above market value.

Step 2: Wonder what all the fuss is about "FFP"

We are using a mixture of the "three amigos" the "three Roonnies" to avoid getting a points deduction, but I wouldn't say it really has anything to do with good scouting.

FTFY

Does Kenny Burns just have a fake ID that says "food inspector" he uses on Nottingham's many fine independent retailers of greasy foodstuffs?

"I need to inspect your family kebab, 16" meat pizza, chips, burger and sausage"

"usually the inspector has an ID card and is well dressed and asks us about how we prepare, store, cook and serve the food, maintain hygiene and clean the shop, not just manoeuvre themselves through our actually quite wide door and demand enough food for an average family of forest supporters "

" The name's Burns.... Kenny Burns... "

" It's OK Kenny, we know who you are, but you are going to have to pay fof the foods"

"what food?"

*and the amazed service staff looked at the counter to see the rather large amount of food was no longer in front of them*

*and the monstrously distended figure motioned out of the eatery in an unnatural manner *

"You can call me Kenny"

3 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Think they'd be stupid to spend millions on someone when he could well turn out like Thorne.

So could every player who plays. 

Archived