Jump to content
David

The Championship 19/20

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Worried forest might go up, played fulham and leeds away, got pts from both.. have easier games to come in next few months..

 

Guys Nows your time to reassure me with millions of reasons why they wont

Beat Fulham with 22% possession. Had a similar amount against Leeds - very lucky to get a point. A red dog at work said to me they’re setting up as a counter attacking side without any real pace. This sort of play only gets you so far. Let’s face it we were 2nd at Christmas under Rowett playing this kind of Football, look what happened.

I think Forest are about where we’re at. Will be in the mix for top 6 but no guarantees they’ll get in. I think Leeds Fulham Bristol and the baggies are better bets for promotion with Leeds unfortunately being the strongest.

Share this post


Link to post

Mental appointment by Huddersfield, the blokes had what, 5 games in league one? And he’s suddenly ready for the step up to a championship dog fight? Seems like him and his coaches are rather fans of the more non league style of football as well, could be a thrilling few months as a Huddersfield fan- be a few more doctors complaints of neck ache I would imagine...

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Mental appointment by Huddersfield, the blokes had what, 5 games in league one? And he’s suddenly ready for the step up to a championship dog fight? Seems like him and his coaches are rather fans of the more non league style of football as well, could be a thrilling few months as a Huddersfield fan- be a few more doctors complaints of neck ache I would imagine...

He’s got them promoted twice and at the top end of League 1 in his first season there albeit early on.

I wouldn’t really want them here for the style of play you touch on but to describe it as mental seems a bit hyperbolic. They’ve definitely earned a Championship job.

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, nottingram said:

He’s got them promoted twice and at the top end of League 1 in his first season there albeit early on.

I wouldn’t really want them here for the style of play you touch on but to describe it as mental seems a bit hyperbolic. They’ve definitely earned a Championship job.

Don’t deny that he’s done a pretty spectacular job there, but the championship, particulary at the level Huddersfield want to compete at is a massive massive step up. Particulary in terms of football culture and philosophy. Seems a massive gamble to me on someone with almost no experience at the level below, but I guess you can argue the timing of the sacking of Siewart has left them with few options. 

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Don’t deny that he’s done a pretty spectacular job there, but the championship, particulary at the level Huddersfield want to compete at is a massive massive step up. Particulary in terms of football culture and philosophy. Seems a massive gamble to me on someone with almost no experience at the level below, but I guess you can argue the timing of the sacking of Siewart has left them with few options. 

Compare the experience between Lampard and Pearson when they arrived at the club

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, David said:

Compare the experience between Lampard and Pearson when they arrived at the club

Not saying experience is everything- were quite the proof that inexperienced managers can work out better than experienced ones. But I would say more often than not it tends to be the other way around- particulary in the short term which is what I imagine Huddersfield are looking at.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Not saying experience is everything- were quite the proof that inexperienced managers can work out better than experienced ones. But I would say more often than not it tends to be the other way around- particulary in the short term which is what I imagine Huddersfield are looking at.

The lack of experience comes more into play, I think, if he’s expected to ‘manage’ the club. Huddersfield had been a premier league set up for the past 2 seasons. They’ve got parachute payments, so they’ll still have all the physios and technicians and what not in the background. Compared with the level the Crowley’s have managed at, that’s suddenly a big step up of stuff they’ve got to be keeping their eye on on a day to day basis. 

Lampard came here having known nothing but that kind of premier league set up. It’s a lot to ask of the Crowley’s with out some sort of stepping stone club like a Bradford or Rotherham or Wigan or something. Like that bloke that took over at Leeds from doing okay at forest green rovers. Or indeed the guy who stepped up from flying high with Luton, to stoke. You’re right, it’s a big step. It might only sen like a few places in the pyramid compared to relative positions, but when you’re moving from league one to a recently relegated premier league club (or a club the size of Leeds), you’re not going to hit the ground running.

Edited by TigerTedd

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

The lack of experience comes more into play, I think, if he’s expected to ‘manage’ the club. Huddersfield had been a premier league set up for the past 2 seasons. They’ve got parachute payments, so they’ll still have all the physios and technicians and what not in the background. Compared with the level the Crowley’s have managed at, that’s suddenly a big step up of stuff they’ve got to be keeping their eye on on a day to day basis. 

Lampard came here having known nothing but that kind of premier league set up. It’s a lot to ask of the Crowley’s with out some sort of stepping stone club like a Bradford or Rotherham or Wigan or something. Like that bloke that took over at Leeds from doing okay at forest green rovers. Or indeed the guy who stepped up from flying high with Luton, to stoke. You’re right, it’s a big step. It might only sen like a few places in the pyramid compared to relative positions, but when you’re moving from league one to a recently relegated premier league club (or a club the size of Leeds), you’re not going to hit the ground running.

Pretty much exactly the point I was trying to make, but made better than I could manage!😂

Think people sometimes underestimate the difference between league one and championship clubs because the difference in player quality between the lower champ and upper L1 isn’t that High. But there’s more to it than that when you’re moving to a much bigger club, which is exactly what Cowley is doing moving from a club that was in league two last year to One that was in the prem last year. You end up with a a club with a much more professional set up, more staff than you’ve ever been used to handling, more day to day responsibilities etc, and that’s a big change when you’ve been somewhere previously with an almost non league set up. You have to get used to not having total control over transfers etc etc. And that’s the case moving to most championship clubs, as most have been in the prem since the turn of the century at some point or another. 

Its a big jump when you’ve been in league one for a while, yet alone when you’ve only been there a month! In the former case, you’d probably argue you’re ready by now for the step up, but in the latter it’s a real gamble by the team appointing you. Not saying experience is everything, but with managers it is generally very important imo. There are always outliers to the norm who manage to make massive leaps up with no bother at all, as there are exceptions with almost anything in football as it’s so unpredictable. But in general, experience is important for a manager, and I’d say this is a big gamble. One that could work out of course, but not one I’d be taking if I was Huddersfield.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.