UEFA Youth League

2 hours ago, SaintRam said:

So yeah, the majority are pretty obscure ?Although, it should also be noted that Chelsea started this season in the domestic path and went all the way to the final. Now obviously, this competition is an U20 one, so that allows a team like Chelsea to bring in additional firepower (I think the majority of our best youths are in the U18 bracket), but the strength of the team who wins the English U18 league shouldn't be sniffed at.

I thought it was U19 - so the players eligible to win the U18 league are all eligible for this competition. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I thought it was U19 - so the players eligible to win the U18 league are all eligible for this competition. 

You're right, I did my eligibility maths based on the date right now (Eligibility is given as an earliest acceptable birthdate), rather than the date at the start of the season.

So it's basically all the previous seasons U18s + any newcomers.

I haven't read into this detail, but I assume they have overage rules similar to the domestic U18 competition? 

10 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

You're right, I did my eligibility maths based on the date right now (Eligibility is given as an earliest acceptable birthdate), rather than the date at the start of the season.

So it's basically all the previous seasons U18s + any newcomers.

I haven't read into this detail, but I assume they have overage rules similar to the domestic U18 competition? 

From what I can tell, overage players aren't eligible.

I did find a useful pic on the Competition Format

UYLformat.thumb.jpg.73f442a14bdb77071cb36bcd2efcd3f5.jpg

Up to 9 games for us to play. Champions League teams could play up to 11.

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

From what I can tell, overage players aren't eligible.

I did find a useful pic on the Competition Format

UYLformat.thumb.jpg.73f442a14bdb77071cb36bcd2efcd3f5.jpg

Up to 9 games for us to play. Champions League teams could play up to 11.

That is a useful graphic yeah. I bet the goalkeeping standard drops pretty heavily if no overage players are allowed at all ? - Suddenly the 3.6 goals per game average for this years tournament makes sense ?

If we can get to the competition proper, I wouldn't bet against Morgan Whittaker being the top scorer!

4 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

That is a useful graphic yeah. I bet the goalkeeping standard drops pretty heavily if no overage players are allowed at all ? - Suddenly the 3.6 goals per game average for this years tournament makes sense ?

If we can get to the competition proper, I wouldn't bet against Morgan Whittaker being the top scorer!

There was an average of 4.1 goals per game in Derby U18s league games this season (4.2 if you include the final)

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

There was an average of 4.1 goals per game in Derby U18s league games this season (4.2 if you include the final)

Huh. I'd noticed Derby kicking the poo out of their opponents, but I hadn't really looked at the Goals For / Against across the league. Basically 100 goals across each team's games.

U18 defending/goalkeeping just isn't at a high level I suppose ? 

Still gonna back Whittaker if we get through to the competition though. 

We’re certainly in good company there! Amazing that the youth team of a club in our position can be at that level, our academy really is bearing fruits now. Be interesting to see how they do against Europe’s best, Will really boost the young lads for the future.

I was hoping we could play Brugge, but Genk would be ok. Note to self - never try Limburger cheese again. It smells of crotch.

8 hours ago, eddie said:

I was hoping we could play Brugge, but Genk would be ok. Note to self - never try Limburger cheese again. It smells of crotch.

Pleased you said 'smells of' rather than 'tastes of'......

On 30/05/2019 at 13:04, NG2Ram said:

Slavia Prague would be ideal, however their U19s play their league games at Stadion Na Chvalech which is located right out in Prague 20 (B line metro to the end of the line at Cerny Most and a 30 min walk to the ground) rather than at Eden/Sinobo Stadium where the first team play. On the plus side the beer will be cheaper in Chvaly.

Knowing how cheap it is in Prague, I can't even think how much it would be in Chvaly...60p?

Reading this thread did leave me none the wiser. Happily the club have given us an explanation:

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2019/06/the-uefa-youth-league-explained

As domestic qualifiers we first have to win through two rounds of two-legged ties drawn randomly (unseeded) against the other domestic qualifiers.

Meanwhile, the Champions League qualifiers are playing out their group stages.

Winners of the 8 Champions League Groups qualify for the Round of 16. If we win through the two qualifying rounds we then play one of the teams that came second among the Champions League Group qualifiers. This is a one-off tie rather than over two legs.

Win that and we're into the "round of 16" proper, again one-off ties as are the quarter finals. The semifinals and final happen in Switzerland.

Jody has twice won the contest with Chelsea. You'll never beat Tomori so he's won it twice too.

14 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Reading this thread did leave me none the wiser. Happily the club have given us an explanation:

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2019/06/the-uefa-youth-league-explained

As domestic qualifiers we first have to win through two rounds of two-legged ties drawn randomly (unseeded) against the other domestic qualifiers.

Meanwhile, the Champions League qualifiers are playing out their group stages.

Winners of the 8 Champions League Groups qualify for the Round of 16. If we win through the two qualifying rounds we then play one of the teams that came second among the Champions League Group qualifiers. This is a one-off tie rather than over two legs.

Win that and we're into the "round of 16" proper, again one-off ties as are the quarter finals. The semifinals and final happen in Switzerland.

Jody has twice won the contest with Chelsea. You'll never beat Tomori so he's won it twice too.

It seems we've qualified to play in the UEFA youth league but don't actually get to play in a league, despite being a national champion.

the rock eye roll GIF by WWE

Archived