UEFA Youth League

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is very exciting! Playing against the best youth teams from around europe will be brilliant experience for our lot. The future looks very bright indeed.

Am i right in thinking that Jody Morris won it with Chelsea (possibly twice)?

14 minutes ago, MK said:

That is very exciting! Playing against the best youth teams from around europe will be brilliant experience for our lot. The future looks very bright indeed.

Am i right in thinking that Jody Morris won it with Chelsea (possibly twice)?

Aye. Once as an assistant, once as head coach.

1 minute ago, Duracell said:

When will the fixtures be released? If one or two happen in half term I might combine with a city break.

Also, important question: will the Champions League music be in use?

Exactly my thinking. Not often we get the chance to watch the Rams in Europe at any level. I think I may have set unfair expectations with the missus and her brother last week when I started with "fancy going to watch the Champions League next year?" They may have a shock coming when we turn up.

Just now, Paese said:

Exactly my thinking. Not often we get the chance to watch the Rams in Europe at any level. I think I may have set unfair expectations with the missus and her brother last week when I started with "fancy going to watch the Champions League next year?" They may have a shock coming when we turn up.

Don’t worry, they’ll soon think it’s the real thing after I let off my second flare.

14 minutes ago, Duracell said:

When will the fixtures be released? If one or two happen in half term I might combine with a city break.

Also, important question: will the Champions League music be in use?

The "domestic path" is a little different, and means we won't be involved in the competitions group stage (which I *think* simply mirrors the Champions League but I could be wrong).

Derby will have to play knockout games among the other 31 teams that won their domestic leagues, until there are only 8 left.

Each of those 8 play one of the 8 teams that finish second in the groups in the "playoffs" - the winning 8 in the playoffs join the 8 group winners in the last 16, at which point we enter the competition proper.

So, Derby will have to win... 2? games against likely obscure European teams to get into the playoffs. That will start in October, there is a draw around that time.

If we win both of those, we'll then have to play one of the teams that finished second in the group - so that's likely to be the first opportunity to make an event of it, unless we get lucky with the Domestic Path games, this season those games were in February.

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

The "domestic path" is a little different, and means we won't be involved in the competitions group stage (which I *think* simply mirrors the Champions League but I could be wrong).

Derby will have to play knockout games among the other 31 teams that won their domestic leagues, until there are only 8 left.

Each of those 8 play one of the 8 teams that finish second in the groups in the "playoffs" - the winning 8 in the playoffs join the 8 group winners in the last 16, at which point we enter the competition proper.

So, Derby will have to win... 2? games against likely obscure European teams to get into the playoffs. That will start in October, there is a draw around that time.

If we win both of those, we'll then have to play one of the teams that finished second in the group - so that's likely to be the first opportunity to make an event of it, unless we get lucky with the Domestic Path games, this season those games were in February.

Nice and simple then.

So basically we have to play Qarabag and BATE Borosov away in winter to do something remotely interesting. 

For reference, the 32 Domestic Path teams this season (I can't find info for next season yet) were:

Chelsea (Who Derby are replacing as the ENG team)
Altinordu (TUR)
HJK Helsinki (FIN)
Zilina (SVK)
Montpellier (FRA)
Basel (SUI)
Hamilton (SCO)
Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)
Septemvri Sofia (BUL)
Elfsborg (SWE)
KR (ISL)
Anderlecht (BEL)
FC @admira (AUT)  ? 
Midtjylland (DEN)
Bohemians (IRL)

Molde (NOR)
AEL Limassol (CYP)
PAOK (GRE)
Sigma Olomouc (CZE)
Maribor (SVN)
Gabala (AZE)
Sheriff Tiraspol (MDA)
Hertha Berlin (GER)
Lech Poznan (POL)
Astana (KAZ)
Villaznia (ALB)
Anji (RUS)
Maccabi Tel-Aviv (ISR)
Viitorul (ROU)
Dinamo Zagreb (CRO)
Minsk (BLR)
Illes Akademia (HUN)

So yeah, the majority are pretty obscure ? 

Although, it should also be noted that Chelsea started this season in the domestic path and went all the way to the final. Now obviously, this competition is an U20 one, so that allows a team like Chelsea to bring in additional firepower (I think the majority of our best youths are in the U18 bracket), but the strength of the team who wins the English U18 league shouldn't be sniffed at.

3 hours ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

It’s not all doom and gloom! 

Why do the youth teams of the CL qualifiers at 1st team level get into the UEFA youth league automatically?  

Presumably yet another way of UEFA trying to keep the 'big' clubs from setting up their own league, or am I misunderstanding the reference?

5 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

Why do the youth teams of the CL qualifiers at 1st team level get into the UEFA youth league automatically?  

Presumably yet another way of UEFA trying to keep the 'big' clubs from setting up their own league, or am I misunderstanding the reference?

Simple answer: Because each countries domestic youth competitions are not robust enough to get enough qualifiers from each country to hold the competition.

8 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

I thought exactly the same, but after thinking about it I decided it is probably better for us to get some weaker competition such as Man City in the competition (not often we can say that, so i'm taking it since we finished 22 points ahead of them.) Liverpool finished second in the north division joint on points with us and Spurs and Chelsea finished 2nd and 3rd respectively in the south division. The only team that should feel hard done by here is Arsenal, but I'm not complaining if the best South team doesn't get to take part (even if we did completely take them apart in the league final).

Slavia Prague would be ideal, however their U19s play their league games at Stadion Na Chvalech which is located right out in Prague 20 (B line metro to the end of the line at Cerny Most and a 30 min walk to the ground) rather than at Eden/Sinobo Stadium where the first team play. On the plus side the beer will be cheaper in Chvaly.

Archived