Sign in to follow this  
Archied

Wembley over rated

It's a nice ground.

It's been seriously devalued down the years by playing semi finals and letting Spurs play there.

As I go to England games it doesn't seem so special as it did when I went there in my younger years to watch The Rams.

Wembley is no way overrated.  Everything about it such is fantastic.  A truly iconic stadium, you have the legend of Bobby Moore looking down Wembley Way and when you enter the stadium to take your seat the sheer size of it is awe-inspiring. 

Sure is a horrible place to lose at but super proud that we got to play at our national stadium.

Three visits.

England Schoolboys when I was about ten. Can’t remember anything about that. 

Anglo Italian Final 1-3 defeat with about two hundred Italians not really contributing much to the atmos. Not their fault of course.

Leicester, not the stadium to blame, but the worst drive back from a football match I’ve ever had to endure. So memories hurt still.

Any time I’ve watched Wembley on tv I’ve not felt the ‘wow’ factor. Being there of course is so different, next season we won’t need it 

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

I'm never going again 😋 my record is as follows;

DRAW/LOST  Burton Albion vs Kidderminster (lost reply)

DRAW/LOST  Gresley Rover vs Guisley (lost reply)

LOST vs Leicester

LOST vs Cremonese

ON HOLIDAY vs West Brom

LOST vs QPR

LOST vs Aston Villa

Put your money on us for promotion next year, I'm gonna book my holidays for end of May.

The last 5 on your list is exactly the same as me.☹️

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

It's a nice ground.

It's been seriously devalued down the years by playing semi finals and letting Spurs play there.

As I go to England games it doesn't seem so special as it did when I went there in my younger years to watch The Rams.

I couldn't agree more in that they shouldn't allow the FA Cup semi-finals to be held at Wembley. Finals only!  It was the Arsenal V Spurs game in 91 that introduced semi finals at Wembley - which I happened to be invited to be an unhappy Arsenal friend, 3-1 Gazza free kick!

The catering in the upper concourse was rubbish. Unless you wanted a foot long hotdog in a 6inch bread.

had to match from one end to the other to find anything else, then it was just curry sauce and chips or some weird concoction that was advertised as fish?

I asked if they just did chips, yes he said. He gave me the chips and charged for chips and curry sauce. The dirty filthy sweinhund pig dog.

The stadium is overrated I think but the actual experience of going down, mixing with thousands of other rams fans and singing your heart out isn't. Went to the 07 and this play off final (missed the QPR one due to an exam the next day) and I've enjoyed both in very different ways. Partly due to my age as I was only a nipper in 07 and now a full grown adult and the result, but i think on both occasions I was glad I went. 

39 minutes ago, Boycie said:

The catering in the upper concourse was rubbish. Unless you wanted a foot long hotdog in a 6inch bread.

had to match from one end to the other to find anything else, then it was just curry sauce and chips or some weird concoction that was advertised as fish?

I asked if they just did chips, yes he said. He gave me the chips and charged for chips and curry sauce. The dirty filthy sweinhund pig dog.

Had fish and chips ,, the most rancid fish and chips I’ve ever had

Wembley is a good day out and it makes a nice change to watch a game there. I was there for the England Croatia match in November, and the atmosphere was even worse than yesterday.

I couldn’t stand being there week in week out though, way to far away from the action. Give me the East stand at Pride Park any day, can’t wait to get back there in August.

4 hours ago, Boycie said:

£15 - gawd bless you squire, lavverly jabberly......

....its what happens when you hand over the catering franchise to them cockernees......😂

I do like Wembley even tho it is in an awful area.Went for a few pops with the fam on the way to the ground ,only to realize it was my shout once we got in.

My ar$e is still throbbing.

Despite the result I enjoyed the day. The ticketing fiasco wasn’t Wembley’s doing, cos if folk had been able to go into the ticket office and select seat(s) in areas where like mind people would be sitting instead of panic when going on a website, it would have been a better atmosphere. Oh the stewards also were spot on and extremely efficient and very helpful. 

First time I went was in 75 against The Hammers in the Charity Shield, I was only about 14 and remember the toilets being pretty disgusting (nothing has changed with that one) Why can't they clean them during the 1st half? My mate went in one of the traps on Monday and some plonker had filled a glass with wee and just left on the back of the loo. Not surprisngly it fell over and just missed him. Imagine being covered in  that all game

Against WBA it was a building site with nothing around the stadium. When we played QPR their was a couple of hotels and multi storey car park...what the heck have they done now outside Wembley? I knew some building work was going after our last visit 5 years ago. But I didn't expect 20 new tower blocks of flats, and so close to the Stadium as well. Must be a very noisy place to live when a match or concert is on

I think it's alright, 9th visit and probably the best as far as getting use out of the ground went. 

Sat in club Wembley this year and it's way better inside than the other parts of the ground I've sat in. A decent pint and the Three Lions pub is pretty bang on. Just the right height for view too. 

My first ever visit.

I wouldn't say I was over-awed at any stage, despite it being the biggest ground I've ever been in.

I think the feeling I got when I first set eyes on the arch, and Wembley Way was more the fact that I was here with my club, as opposed to the stadium itself.  It was the occasion, not the location.  I did sneak away from the concourse reasonably early (just after 2 ish?) to take my first look at the bowl (from level 5).  That was probably the most impressive part, seeing the great expanse, taking in the distance down to the pitch.  Some of those seats seem to be taking on a C*ty Ground pink hue though!

I was certainly more impressed with Wembley than Old Trafford though, although my seats there were around the side, in quite a shallow stand, and I wasn't impressed with the view that night (League cup semi, when everyone else was up high behind the goal).  I prefer high to low, and being almost at the highest point on Monday (3rd row from the back, Halfway line opposite the dugouts, so it's higher than behind the goal), I rather enjoyed the view, despite the distance.

I strongly suspect that if I ever get the chance to go to Tottenham, that might just leave me over-awed, if the snippets I've seen so far are anything to go by.  Now that does look like it could be something special!  Maybe it's the colour scheme! 

6 hours ago, Burton_Ram said:

The last 5 on your list is exactly the same as me.☹️

Yep, me too.  Glad I’m not the only one!