Cricket World Cup 2019

MK

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Boycie said:

Erm, when the ball hit Stokes bat as he was running back he hadn’t yet crossed the line back at the wicket.

Now I’m no expert on anything to be honest, but I’ve seen the rule book quote and it should have been awarded as 5.

Well done to New Zealand, World Champions!

This has to be the best thing I’ve heard since they started sooking about the underarm ball nearly 40 years ago.? 

3 hours ago, Boycie said:

Erm, when the ball hit Stokes bat as he was running back he hadn’t yet crossed the line back at the wicket.

Now I’m no expert on anything to be honest, but I’ve seen the rule book quote and it should have been awarded as 5.

Challenging game for the umpires that, I’m surprised I didn’t see them blowing the dust off the an old rule book to find rules that have never had to be implemented before. 

3 hours ago, Anon said:

It's a different form of the game. Test cricket is the absolute pinnacle of the sport because of the mental and physical endurance required to compete over 5 days. There's no official test world cup, although the ICC have recently agreed to implement one, so playing the Aussies has kind of served as the de facto test world cup since they are always the or one of the best test cricket teams in the world.

2 innings cricket exponentially increases the depth of the game, but it does need to have pretty eveny matched teams to really come alive. Even then there are large sections of the game that aren't "exciting" the way twenty20 is, but the way a test rises and falls, the games within games, and builds towards a result is like nothing else in sport.

I'm not a huge cricket fan, but I do always keep an eye on the scores when we play online via BBC.  But I can honestly say that was the most nerve wracked I've ever felt watching any sporting contest.  Yes, more than the 2nd leg at Leeds, more than England winning on penalties last year, more than the last 30 minutes at Wembley in 2007, more than 2005 Ashes.  If the ECB & ICC asked 100 screenwriters to script a final, none of them would've come up with what actually happened.  It was incredible...

16 hours ago, Boycie said:

Stokes' extra run. Hurst's goal in 66. Is the rugby world cup the only world cup we've won, that is without controversy? Or is someone going to claim that Wilkinson's winning kick shouldn't have stood  because the ball didn't touch the ground before he kicked it.

6 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Stokes' extra run. Hurst's goal in 66. Is the rugby world cup the only world cup we've won, that is without controversy? Or is someone going to claim that Wilkinson's winning kick shouldn't have stood  because the ball didn't touch the ground before he kicked it.

My god, are we just a nation of cheats?

Archived