The Spine ( no not an orthopaedic thread )

hintonsboots

TBE was convinced that the way to build a promotion winning side was putting the spine in place and building a team around that. GK, CD CM and striker ( natural goal scorer)

Personally I’d have Jack Marriott as the first name on the team sheet, with a new CM and GK, although I am aware of the alleged dynamics between Frank and Jack.

What do members think of the dominant centre back question ? Is Keogh, Davies or Tomori as an outside bet the answer? 

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

TBE was convinced that the way to build a promotion winning side was putting the spine in place and building a team around that. GK, CD CM and striker ( natural goal scorer)

Personally I’d have Jack Marriott as the first name on the team sheet, with a new CM and GK, although I am aware of the alleged dynamics between Frank and Jack.

What do members think of the dominant centre back question ? Is Keogh, Davies or Tomori as an outside bet the answer? 

I really don't know what this is about....are there informed speculations or just tittle tattle?

On topic, I wonder if Bradley can become the Dm part of the spine with waghorn as the attack focal point.

Was disappointed with roos's lack of command- but think Carson is similarly passive/uncommanding. Mitchell seems to be out of the picture so maybe a new keeper and/or develop ravas for the future. 

CH we have the legend that is Keogh, but he won't last forever. Tomori would be brilliant but maybe is a pipe dream.

So for next season I'd go new gk, keogh, Bradley, waggy. 

It seems our problem for next season is we don't have any particularly great wingers. We've got players like Lawrence/Waghorn/Bennett and Holmes who can all play the wing but don't excel. 

I'd focus on two strikers that understand each others game. Couple of new names in midfield with Lawrence and Holmes to fight for the spot behind the striker. 

If we can get Tomori back next season  we don't need another 1st team CB, perhaps another as cover. 

Goalkeeper, either get Carson back in or a new one. Don't need wholesale changes. 

2 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

I really don't know what this is about....are there informed speculations or just tittle tattle?

On topic, I wonder if Bradley can become the Dm part of the spine with waghorn as the attack focal point.

Was disappointed with roos's lack of command- but think Carson is similarly passive/uncommanding. Mitchell seems to be out of the picture so maybe a new keeper and/or develop ravas for the future. 

CH we have the legend that is Keogh, but he won't last forever. Tomori would be brilliant but maybe is a pipe dream.

So for next season I'd go new gk, keogh, Bradley, waggy. 

Only what I’ve surmised reading this forum. Maybe it’s all sh@@e and FL and Marriott have a good relationship? Someone posted that one of them wouldn’t be here next season.

5 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Only what I’ve surmised reading this forum. Maybe it’s all sh@@e and FL and Marriott have a good relationship? Someone posted that one of them wouldn’t be here next season.

Oh now you mention it....

I interpreted it as Jack not being quite 100% fit. 

He played a half against Leeds and looked a bit slow at times. 

But just my opinion....?

I’d say we need every position in the spine filling, except up front. 

Though hopefully Shinnie will fill the CDM role.

If we’re talking about building for the future, Keogh’s going to be 33 this summer and while I’d don’t think he needs replacing this summer, we need to be mindful that times ticking. Look to sign a good CB to play alongside him this summer. In hindsight, I think that’s one reason why even if he’s available, signing Tomori on loan again wouldn’t be a great idea.

I always believe that to build a team for success you need a spine of players you deem “key” members of the team, the players who start week in week out barring being ruled unfit by medical staff or a prolonged run of poor form. That way you build a consistent side that knows each other’s games, and then hopefully you out strong runs of form together where everyone is fluent with each other and plays as a team. Get that bit right and rotate and build around the core and you have the foundations for success. Imo such a core would generally be a GK, 2CBs, a CM or two , and a striker in the modern game.

I think at the moment we’re sorted up front with Waghorn, he’s quality all round at this level. If Marriott can resolve his issues with frank then I think he’ll take over in a year or so after being blooded in. Hopefully shinnie might be the CDM part we’re missing as well. GK is the main one we need I think, we need a goalie that’s commanding and inspires confidence, all while being able to play the modern way. Won’t be cheap but we really need that.

CB is the other interesting one for sure. Right now it’s keogh and Davies there, both of whom have that command and experience to be part of that core. But is Davies too old now? Or does he have one more year? That’ll be a big question cause if we need to bring in a new cb to replace Tomori it won’t be easy.

57 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Oh now you mention it....

I interpreted it as Jack not being quite 100% fit. 

He played a half against Leeds and looked a bit slow at times. 

But just my opinion....?

Apparently he hasnt been giving 100% in every training session, and someone I know who works at dcfc said that Marriott called in sick to training but was then seen on the golf course later that day..... FL has always had good work ethic, turn up and work hard you get match time  piss around and you dont.... so that seems like the most likely reason Marriott hasnt started or been on the bench as often as we may have liked....

20 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

How about Saunders & Goddard? Surprised you missed that one with your user name. 

Top pairing.

The topic at the time was discussing Jim Smith era spine and I was thinking that Gabbiadini was quite a lot like Waghorn.

(Sturridge vs Marriott a bit more difficult other than the little speedy bloke bit).

On 28/05/2019 at 22:52, Shorty389 said:

Apparently he hasnt been giving 100% in every training session, and someone I know who works at dcfc said that Marriott called in sick to training but was then seen on the golf course later that day..... FL has always had good work ethic, turn up and work hard you get match time  piss around and you dont.... so that seems like the most likely reason Marriott hasnt started or been on the bench as often as we may have liked....

So we've got your source at DCFC that knows he rang in sick and then was silly enough to be seen playing golf (aassumedly in Derby).

We also have another 'very good source' on here that claims he went off to Portugal to play golf. 

I'm going to raise you both and say I heard he actually played in the US Open under the name Mack Jarriott  (sounds pretty American).

18 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So we've got your source at DCFC that knows he rang in sick and then was silly enough to be seen playing golf (aassumedly in Derby).

We also have another 'very good source' on here that claims he went off to Portugal to play golf. 

I'm going to raise you both and say I heard he actually played in the US Open under the name Mack Jarriott  (sounds pretty American).

Pah.  I raise your American open and put forward this .  It was no Alan Shepard up there.  That's why he had this mystery stomach bug for six weeks .  Quarantine ...

spacer.png

8 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Pah.  I raise your American open and put forward this .  It was no Alan Shepard up there.  That's why he had this mystery stomach bug for six weeks .  Quarantine ...

spacer.png

Definitely saw Waghorn wearing one of them boots after the Leeds game, Marriott must have lent them to him. Pretty sure I saw that flag at Wembley too. All falling into place now. Wouldn't surprise me if we sent him to the moon to stop any chance of having to pay the goal bonus in his contract. Just our look that Elvis was up there and gave him a lift back in his B52 bomber.

Archived