Tom Lawrence

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Van Cone De Head said:

No ones said he was crap yet have they?

That’s because he was quite good behind Waghorn wasn’t he?

Good effort lad.

Losing people I loved and cared about been gone 3 years now but still feels like yesterday.

Been a staunch supporter of Tom and have never really doubted his talent but you feel this is the season where he needs to really try and kick on. He ended last season in really good form, despite having a very difficult time of things off the pitch, so if he can pick up where he left off that'd be grand.

Happily, it seems that PC has quickly worked out he's bext played though the middle, so I'm more than hopeful Tom can do a few teams some serious damage this season. 

For me it seems the noise coming from the whole coaching staff is not just about winning games (although they do talk about wanting to win every game) but improving players. Tom is clearly gifted, I’d love to see him cut through defences like he did vs West Brom last game of the season more often. You have to think that this coaching set up will push him to be better and more consistent. 

For me tom lawarance needs trust him self but everything been through you can understand why his mind was not always on it. But for me when he attacks teams like reading game opening games of the season connecting with brillient cross with header. Like wba game he was really good that game and leeds game after broke down final whistle understandly really.

On 15/07/2019 at 20:26, Jram said:

I don't think Lawrence is bad but we did pay around 6 million for him right? I think it's reasonable to expect more from his this season which he may well provide as he was very good in the final part of last season 

It's similar to Bradley Johnson.. He was never bad but we paid 6 million for him so I think it's reasonable to hold him to a higher standard than, say, Mason Bennett 

This is silly though, he has no control over the fee? 

If we go on this then any player costing >£80m should be individually winning a team 15-20 points a season but they don't. That doesn't make them bad players. Just that the fee paid for them is out of their control. 

16 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Been a staunch supporter of Tom and have never really doubted his talent but you feel this is the season where he needs to really try and kick on. He ended last season in really good form, despite having a very difficult time of things off the pitch, so if he can pick up where he left off that'd be grand.

Happily, it seems that PC has quickly worked out he's bext played though the middle, so I'm more than hopeful Tom can do a few teams some serious damage this season. 

When did Paul Clement return???????  ?

10 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

This is silly though, he has no control over the fee? 

If we go on this then any player costing >£80m should be individually winning a team 15-20 points a season but they don't. That doesn't make them bad players. Just that the fee paid for them is out of their control. 

I think that mindset is confusing the player as a person and the player as an asset though 

I'm not saying Tom Lawrence is necessarily at fault for his performances (although I'm sure some would argue that) but I think it's reasonable to suggest he's not performing as a 6 million pound asset ought to, same with any object anyone buys 

8 hours ago, Jram said:

I think that mindset is confusing the player as a person and the player as an asset though 

I'm not saying Tom Lawrence is necessarily at fault for his performances (although I'm sure some would argue that) but I think it's reasonable to suggest he's not performing as a 6 million pound asset ought to, same with any object anyone buys 

Thing is, 5 years ago I’d agree with you but realistically none of us know what a £6m player ‘should’ look like anymore because the market is crazy. 

£6m when we first came down into the championship would buy you the best player in the league... now it buys one leg of a Bristol City defender. 

I’m ignoring fees completing until this bubble bursts and we get back to reasonable numbers! 

23 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Thing is, 5 years ago I’d agree with you but realistically none of us know what a £6m player ‘should’ look like anymore because the market is crazy. 

£6m when we first came down into the championship would buy you the best player in the league... now it buys one leg of a Bristol City defender. 

I’m ignoring fees completing until this bubble bursts and we get back to reasonable numbers! 

Yeah it has gone a bit mad but can't see any reason it's going to change any time soon 

I think the fees paid for the likes of Lawrence say a lot about how terribly we handled transfers until recently 

Tbh, as boring as it is, I much prefer the current approach of shouting very loudly about our dire financial situation and being linked with nobody rather than advertising our riches and seeming to pay an inflated price ?

On 15/07/2019 at 20:26, Jram said:

I don't think Lawrence is bad but we did pay around 6 million for him right? I think it's reasonable to expect more from his this season which he may well provide as he was very good in the final part of last season 

It's similar to Bradley Johnson.. He was never bad but we paid 6 million for him so I think it's reasonable to hold him to a higher standard than, say, Mason Bennett 

Only if less than £5m is "around 6 million".

Archived