Tom Lawrence

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Arsene Titman said:

Could someone enlighten me on what are the “well documented personal problems”  that Tom Lawrence has and were referred to on the phone in tonight. If he has problems that might explain the season he’s had

He lost his mum recently and the funeral I believe was between the Leeds match and Wembley 

Can’t quite understand why Tom gets so much stick. Some of our fans seem to be very odd when it comes to wingers.

Tom Ince and Tom Lawrence get loads of stick despite good goal and assist records whilst players like Abdoul Camara have songs sung about them when they did absolutely bugger all here.

Tom Lawrence is twice the player Josefzoon is for starters based on current players.

6 minutes ago, Stedcfc said:

Can’t quite understand why Tom gets so much stick. Some of our fans seem to be very odd when it comes to wingers.

Tom Ince and Tom Lawrence get loads of stick despite good goal and assist records whilst players like Abdoul Camara have songs sung about them when they did absolutely bugger all here.

Tom Lawrence is twice the player Josefzoon is for starters based on current players.

Trying to understand the logic of the football fan is a fools errand. I don’t think you can illustrate it better than that paragraph right there.

3 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Trying to understand the logic of the football fan is a fools errand. I don’t think you can illustrate it better than that paragraph right there.

I mean even efe Ambrose has somehow earned his name in one of our songs having never played for us ?

11 hours ago, Stedcfc said:

People expect top end Premier League consistency out of creative players, not realising that a) we're not in the Premier League b) the level of consistency expected from creative players doesn't exist in this league over long periods and c) it's his job to try and make things happen, which may not always come off and he may make a wrong decision from time to time doing so. Every team in this division would want Tom Lawrence,

14 minutes ago, Srg said:

People expect top end Premier League consistency out of creative players, not realising that a) we're not in the Premier League b) the level of consistency expected from creative players doesn't exist in this league over long periods and c) it's his job to try and make things happen, which may not always come off and he may make a wrong decision from time to time doing so. Every team in this division would want Tom Lawrence,

+1

Lawrence is class - I bet he's the most gutted that Mount and Wilson are going back because he seemed to have a great rapport with them

18 minutes ago, Srg said:

Precisely.

7 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Deeply sorry for his loss, but let’s be honest..he’s been poor since signing bar half a dozen games.

Looks a different player to the one I saw at Ipswich 

Maybe because at Ipswich they recognised he was single handedly keeping him in the division where as at Derby, he makes one stray pass and the whole ground collectively groan at him. 

Footballers are thicker than mud when it comes to the relationship between confidence and performance... 

I think the reason is that people get frustrated is that Lawrence is capable of more than he (regularly) shows whereas Camara, etc were more obviously 'triers'. At times, Lawrence is class and at others he's a lazy, stroppy git (or at least appears to be). I want to like him, I really do but he does himself no favours at times with his body language and general lack of trying to get into the game. He does track back quite well but I do think he needs to impose himself more on games.

Frank and the players like him (as a lad and a player) and that goes a long way for me as they see other sides of him than we do.

As someone said, there's a reason he's not at a Prem club but was an expensive Championship player and I guess it's his inconsistency. He's not 19, he's 24 (I think) so really starts to need to add to his game. There's quality in him for sure, just need to see it more often. Hence the frustration.

2 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Maybe because at Ipswich they recognised he was single handedly keeping him in the division where as at Derby, he makes one stray pass and the whole ground collectively groan at him. 

Footballers are thicker than mud when it comes to the relationship between confidence and performance... 

only one ?

Lawrence clearly has ability but flatters to deceive and doesn’t produce on a consistent basis. If he played like he did against stoke and West Brom, for example, on a weekly basis then we would have a player on our hands. Sadly these performances are few and far between. You can carry one player like this, to an extent, but with Wilson being slightly similar, at times we got overrun this season and gave the ball away too cheaply. With mount and Wilson going, Lawrence will have to step up big time next season. I hope he can but fear he just doesn’t have it in him. I think he’s a bit of a show pony to be honest and his body language doesn’t help him either at times. I think though he’s more suited to playing in the middle rather than out wide and I believe  frank might agree with me. 

19 minutes ago, brankostrupar said:

Lawrence is dogshit and has done  very little in two seasons

Thanks for your input and clear insightfulness......

He has contributed in 14 goals last season and 13 this season (in less games). Which isn't bad. I certainly think there is room for improvement. I think the issue is he is frustrating as all the parts seem there and he is capable just not consistently. Credit to him though for playing during a very difficult time for him.

But i won't be having you chat poo. At least contribute something rather than making nonsense throw away negative comments helps no one.

Archived