Lift to PPs from South West

BodminRam

13 hours ago, BodminRam said:

Hi all, at the mo  im trying to sort out a hire company that lets you hire on the Saturday and return on the Saturday, otherwise it is too expensive, a lot are stating it must be purchased for the weekend. I am still trying, and will let you all know as soon as I know more

I've hired a mini bus on a couple of occasions in the past, for Saturday away games (Hired in Derby, obvs).  The price for a weekend can (sometimes) compare favourably with a single week day.

Obviously, if you need to be at work for 7am Monday, and the mini bus cannot be returned until 8am, then it's not such a viable option.  But if there's the opportunity to securely drop off early (minibus and keys), it could work for you.

Don't automatically assume a weekend hire will be rip-off prices (particularly with a full quota of passengers on board)... it's more that they can't be bothered to open the office on Sundays/Late Saturdays.

Having said all that, I can appreciate it's not as easy to sort as some may imagine, particularly this "weekend thing"!  Balancing cost v availability v requirements v "keeping everyone happy/interested" isn't easy!  

Best of luck. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I've hired a mini bus on a couple of occasions in the past, for Saturday away games (Hired in Derby, obvs).  The price for a weekend can (sometimes) compare favourably with a single week day.

Obviously, if you need to be at work for 7am Monday, and the mini bus cannot be returned until 8am, then it's not such a viable option.  But if there's the opportunity to securely drop off early (minibus and keys), it could work for you.

Don't automatically assume a weekend hire will be rip-off prices (particularly with a full quota of passengers on board)... it's more that they can't be bothered to open the office on Sundays/Late Saturdays.

Having said all that, I can appreciate it's not as easy to sort as some may imagine, particularly this "weekend thing"!  Balancing cost v availability v requirements v "keeping everyone happy/interested" isn't easy!  

Best of luck. 

Hi mate, thanks for your help. I am aware of the drop off arrangements, I have to be at work at 6.30 in the mornings , that's my problem, and I cant find a company that will let me drop the keys through the letter box, even tried arranging a bigger deposit, but im told it has to be inspected with me present. I will keep trying, thanks again

Hi all. I have just received a phone call from a company in Wadebridge, 17 seater will be £220 and a 9 seater will be £170,

After a lot off talking and basically stating it could be regular ish  they have agreed to not add a mileage fee. so apart from fuel that would be the total price. leaves on a full tank and return a full tank

Obviously the first trip would be trial, I can only suggest filling it up in Derby before the return trip to see how much it takes, and then double the figure to fill up before returning to the depot. Also I would including myself expect to pay more if I have travelled a further distance than picking up someone closer to Derby on the way. I would also appreciate if pick up points were easily accessible to the journey, eg service stations , not 15 minute detours, as this would add considerable distance fuel and time to the journey.

Thankyou for support, I would love feedback or advice from anyone that could make this possible. and off course numbers interested now we have some figures

34 minutes ago, BodminRam said:

Hi mate, thanks for your help. I am aware of the drop off arrangements, I have to be at work at 6.30 in the mornings , that's my problem, and I cant find a company that will let me drop the keys through the letter box, even tried arranging a bigger deposit, but im told it has to be inspected with me present. I will keep trying, thanks again

Yeah, all common practise it seems, from my limited past experience.

I only got away with it as although I start work at 7ish, I do have a bit of sway and flexibility, so was able to nip out for an hour to return it (On the Monday Morning).

Like I say*, It ain't as straightforward as some may imagine!

*Ooh... I came over all Capt Richard for a moment there!  

EDIT:

Posted before seeing your last post... Just hope you can make up the numbers now, and it works for everyone.  Well done!  

Just now, Mucker1884 said:

Yeah, all common practise it seems, from my limited past experience.

I only got away with it as although I start work at 7ish, I do have a bit of sway and flexibility, so was able to nip out for an hour to return it (On the Monday Morning).

Like I say*, It ain't as straightforward as some may imagine!

*Ooh... I came over all Capt Richard for a moment there!  

Cant believe I got a call just after replying to you. lol

6 hours ago, NewquayRam said:

Well, at the moment I pay pushing £100 for fuel for each match, so if me and my 7 year old son can be part of it for not much more than that then I'm definitely in. I'm happy to drive to Wadebridge and meet there. 

Hi Newquay, that's a start, their are now 4 of us. taxi lol, On a serious note, it would be easier to park at mine, im just off the A30 Bodmin

8 hours ago, NewquayRam said:

Bodmin is very easy for me. If we were to do a minibus I guess the parking at Derby has to be considered too. 

If it is just us 4 I'm happy to car share, take it in turns or whatever. Anything to bring the price down! 

Hi. sounding good, just asked my son and he seemed very keen, he does play some Saturdays, so when he gets his fixtures, I will know more in reference games. great news,  I actually went to a midweek game with the family some years ago and met someone who travelled up from Newquay

they said they went most games, small world ey. lol  

11 minutes ago, archram said:

I think this thread is great but it always makes me smile when on the home page it’s ‘ Rams around the world’ and the topic reads ‘ Lift to PPs from south west’!

I'm open to board rename suggestions

17 minutes ago, David said:

It’s fine! I think you started it before the playoff final when there were literally Rams all over the world joining in. Mind you, living on they edge of the south west it often feels like a different world!

4 hours ago, archram said:

I think this thread is great but it always makes me smile when on the home page it’s ‘ Rams around the world’ and the topic reads ‘ Lift to PPs from south west’!

4 hours ago, David said:

Travelling to the match.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, bimmerman said:

If this is still a thing I'd be on board, live in obscure village in Devon so Exeter not too far

Not showing much interest im afraid  2 in Newquay who would be regular as they are ST holders ( amazing support) , me and 1other from bodmin  so not looking affordable

I'm desperate for this to work out. I went to Huddersfield on Monday, left Newquay at 10am and literally crawled all the way, rarely getting over 40mph. I had planned to go to the Travelodge before the match to get washed and changed but only managed to park up at 7pm. 9 hours driving for a football match and then a good 7 hours home the following morning, I started to question if my in laws are right and I'm an idiot for doing it.

But we won, so it's all good. 

NewquayRam you are the spirit of DCFC ! i.ve been  moaning about roadworks ,footbridge and the  Wyvern slip road ,and i only come in from Long Eaton , respect to BodminRam and all far flung Rams ,we,ll do it this season for you guys , then it,s Spurs ,Arsenal and....er Bramall Lane all the way 

• 1 month later...
On 07/08/2019 at 17:33, BodminRam said:

Not showing much interest im afraid  2 in Newquay who would be regular as they are ST holders ( amazing support) , me and 1other from bodmin  so not looking affordable

A up mate!

Sorry you've not been able to drum up a bus load yet. Give it time, once Cocu's total football kicks in you'll be fighting them off...

Have you a trip back home planned yet? Let us know if the Bodmin boys are coming up for a game.

Archived