Retained List

1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I'm confused .  Butterfields been playing for a team relegated from League one .  Is he our replacement for Mount .  Davies also a surprise - good player but out for a year and mid thirties ?  Who is this Blackman fella - I remember a bloke called that scoring a goal for Reading about four year's ago .

Davies contract isn’t up. 

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

Jacob Butterfield, Nick Blackman and Bradley Johnson are in the list of first-team squad players under contract.

The trio signed 12-month extensions to their contracts earlier this season on vastly reduced terms compared to what they were on in the previous years, DerbyshireLive understands.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/Derby-county-retained-list-revealed-2936228?0

I know I heard Mel saying something about how due to FFP rules we were in some cases better off offering players lower contracts than letting their contracts run out. I have to assume that's what's happening with Butterfield and Blackman, though Johnson's might just be because Frank wants to keep him. Might end up seeing them shipped out on loan again next season. Still, "vastly reduced terms" is an improvement. 

15 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Bent, Baird & Huddlestone extensions were triggered by the number of games played in their "final" year.

How can that apply to Blackman & Butterfield?

Ah gotcha. Wasn't aware it was down to no. of games played – thought it was pretty much up the player themselves.

Have a vague memory when Bent got his extension of Rowett(?) being a bit unimpressed.

5 minutes ago, Carnero said:

"It is highly likely Blackman and Butterfield will be released and will not return to the club for pre-season."

--

You gotta laugh at the nonsense that is FFP 

So effectively we're in a situation where FFP has made it that it gives us more wiggle room to give them new contracts at a lower rate and pay-off those contracts before the season even starts than it does to just let them go at the end of their current contracts? Seems a weird one to say the least. I also imagine this will give Steve Gibson something else to moan about.

So we gave them additional years so we wouldnt take the hit to FFP on the 18/19 books, but will likely release them ahead of the 19/20 season.

Makes sense in terms of FFP but the fact it overcomplicates things to this degree is pretty absurd.

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

So we gave them additional years so we wouldnt take the hit to FFP on the 18/19 books, but will likely release them ahead of the 19/20 season.

Makes sense in terms of FFP but the fact it overcomplicates things to this degree is pretty absurd.

Wait until Steve Gibson finds out!

1 minute ago, JfR said:

So effectively we're in a situation where FFP has made it that it gives us more wiggle room to give them new contracts at a lower rate and pay-off those contracts before the season even starts than it does to just let them go at the end of their current contracts? Seems a weird one to say the least. I also imagine this will give Steve Gibson something else to moan about.

I think it's to do with what valuations players have, so Hypothetically, if we valued Johnson at £3m for the last year if his contract and his contract expired, we'd record a loss of £3m against FFP even though it would not cost DCFC a penny. Its not logical. Its accountancy.

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Yes, it will mean we have to take the hit in next season's accounts. If we release them in July, we will need to pay up the remainder of their contract. 

Players get more money.

Agents get more money.

Derby have to spend more money.  But they do get to shuffle the losses into a different financial year.

Complete farce.

4 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

More evidence to show what a lame duck FFP is. 

Doesn't help anyone. Only hinders.

5 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

You've got it.

3 minutes ago, JfR said:

Steve Gibson was only whinging because he tried to do it, but it didn't help. Pride Park is worth £80m. As the Riverside only gets about 3,000 people in per game it has no commercial value beyond the land it sits on. It turns out that two acres of prime real estate in Middlesbrough is only worth £12.72.

Weird with all the FFP stuff. The DET suggests Blackman and Butterfield aren't actually being retained which shows daft the whole thing is.

Disappointed for Timi Elsnik, but not surprised.

We seem to be keeping a lot of the youngsters (are they really all better than Elsnik? I'm flabbergasted if so). But by also keeping so many senior players, it's hard to see where the path through comes.

I much prefer Bryson to some of the players we have kept, but if we can't agree terms I don't mind as we need to make some room.

Archived