This season I enjoyed...

IlsonDerby

(I’ll start us off) 

-  Bogle developing into the player he has 

- Watching future England international Mason Mount, very special talent 

- Dicking Leeds in their own backyard during their promotion party to send us to Wembley. 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much those three.

Bogle went from a decent prospect to a mercurial talent. His touch and control is brilliant. That’s always what I look for in a young player. He’ll go far of that I’m sure. Just hope we can keep him. If finances are ok I think we will.

Mason Mount could go on to be one of the greatest players to pull on a Derby shirt in terms of his future career. The sort of talent that it’s taken a long time for England to start making instead of pace merchants, but he’ll be a key player in a brand new generation of England that’ll rise to the top imo. Youll see him at the top for years and remember his time here. I’d add tomori in here too, what progression he made. Top drawer ball playing defender who’ll play for England as well imo. Shame cause if went up we’d have kept him and Wilson imo. 

Leeds was one of the best games I’ve seen in that second leg. The scenes were unreal against such cheating scum. Stopping the cocky bar stewards was brilliant, especially living there. Sadly I still have to go back there and put up with their poo after this. Luckily only for a few weeks tho before I hand my keys back and can Get the duck out the shithole till October, if ever at this rate.

• Tomori just oozed class, something really strange will have to happen for him to not become a regular England international
  • First season since probably the days of Jim Smith that I really felt we've all been aligned - manager, team, owner, fans
  • The academy finally looks like it is working, there is some real talent coming through

4 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:
  • Tomori just oozed class, something really strange will have to happen for him to not become a regular England international
  • First season since probably the days of Jim Smith that I really felt we've all been aligned - manager, team, owner, fans (until we lose then all hell breaks loose)
  • The academy finally looks like it is working, there is some real talent coming through

FTFY

The victory against Man Utd, both wins against West Brom, scoring 4 goals at Stamford Bridge, the first half of Boro away where we should have scored st least 10 goals, Mel cutting the power cable at Carrow road and of course the miserable, crying Leeds fans after we knocked them out of the playoffs. 

Matches - Bristol City away, WBA home and away, Man U and Chelsea in the cup and the first half of Boro away, Leeds away for all the obvious reasons plus I live there

Players - Keogh and Tomori, Mount at his best, Wilson free kicks, Bogle, some of Marrot's goals, understanding why Cole was such a good player 

Others - Frank starting various bounces, especially away and in front of the SS, Mel finding a way of getting us through FFP, Mel for being on the pitch at Leeds enjoying himself like a fan, Frank dealing with the media, going to Wembley (coming back was not so good)

I enjoyed so much. I'm also looking forward to some more incredible youngsters throwing down the gauntlet and demanding a first-team place next season.

I also enjoyed bumping into @sage @froggg and @Duracell after the game today. So many people we bumped into - the Memsahib's brother Keith (aka 'Chink'), my mate and metal superstar Kev Moore (twice - before and after the game, the one after the game being a mile from the stadium while he was looking for a hotel for the night before flying to Denmark for some gigs this week) and my old mate Woody from Ilson who I used to bowl with a decade or more ago.

Small world.

22 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

Matches - Bristol City away, WBA home and away, Man U and Chelsea in the cup and the first half of Boro away, Leeds away for all the obvious reasons plus I live there

Players - Keogh and Tomori, Mount at his best, Wilson free kicks, Bogle, some of Marrot's goals, understanding why Cole was such a good player 

Others - Frank starting various bounces, especially away and in front of the SS, Mel finding a way of getting us through FFP, Mel for being on the pitch at Leeds enjoying himself like a fan, Frank dealing with the media, going to Wembley (coming back was not so good)

And a special mention to the We Are Derby poem. Always moves me every time I hear it. My city even though I haven't lived in it for 40 years. Young Ilkley's city even though he's never lived there. And no one else has anything like it. 

Very special season. The three loanees breathed fresh air into what was for a fair bit a jaded and cynical club with their youth, talent, belief and positivity.

Tomori, Wilson and Mount - thanks for a cracking year.

Of course it's not just about them, Marriott, Waghorn, Holmes, Johnson, Roos, Bogle, Lawrence, Keogh...everyone who played this year more or less, and of course Frank and Jody. Thanks for an enjoyable season.

It hurts, but I'm proud.

23 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

And a special mention to the We Are Derby poem. Always moves me every time I hear it. My city even though I haven't lived in it for 40 years. Young Ilkley's city even though he's never lived there. And no one else has anything like it. 

It's absolutely wonderful.

1 hour ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

A cracking season. One where we’ve overachieved. But, it’s a missed opportunity, and one that is going to take a lot of rebuilding to reach again. 

That's exactly how I felt after the match - a really good opportunity had been missed. Villa were no great shakes and belatedly, in the last 20 minutes when put under pressure, began to look vulnerable for the first time in the match.

In the first half we failed to press their central defenders, allowing Mings in particular the time and space to dictate far too much of the play from such a deep position.

Villa have got some decent wide players - something we lack, not just today but for much of the season. We have had 2 promising young wingers in Thomas and McAllister out on good loans to help build on the physical aspects of their game - will be interesting to see whether they have much of a contribution next season.

Archived