Next Season

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I’m ready to move on already. With not much else to talk about over the next month or so, why not next season’s squad? I think it’ll be interesting to see what everyone thinks. To me, we’ll probably build off this:

GKs - Roos, Ravas

Defs - Bogle, Keogh, Davies, Forsyth, Lowe, Malone

Mids - Johnson, Shinnie, Evans, Bryson, Holmes, Bird

Wingers - Bennett, Lawrence, Jozefzoon, Thomas

Forwards - Marriott, Waghorn

Contract extensions: Roos, Johnson, Bryson

Outs from who’ll be left: Carson, Wisdom, Huddlestone, Anya, Martin

Ins: RB cover, CB starter, CM (advanced), RW (if we loan Thomas)

I also expect a couple shock departures and a couple big loanees to come in. It’ll leave us with a squad capable of switching between 4231, 433 and 442 when necessary. 

A few youth players will feature with a few playing 5+ games and one featuring 15+ times (Thomas, McAllister, MacDonald?)

Line1 ( GK's )  is an epic fail.

Thankfully Roos is leaving so you ca. Try again and I will gladly read on 

Can't be bothered to read rest if you think Championship football is Roos level 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As the car journey home progressed we got more and more excited about next season and in some way happier to be in the championship. Don't get me wrong we need the money but with a rebuild, would prefer to do that outside the premier League.

We listened to talk sport and in particular Simon Jordan who had a go about Villa and said many encouraging words about us. Made me realise I would prefer to watch us win games in this league than hope to beat the likes of Bournemouth and Brighton.

Frank will stay and with the feeling about the place I'm sure next season will be just as good. Feel so much more positive about the future tonight

4 minutes ago, ElBeef said:

As the car journey home progressed we got more and more excited about next season and in some way happier to be in the championship. Don't get me wrong we need the money but with a rebuild, would prefer to do that outside the premier League.

We listened to talk sport and in particular Simon Jordan who had a go about Villa and said many encouraging words about us. Made me realise I would prefer to watch us win games in this league than hope to beat the likes of Bournemouth and Brighton.

Frank will stay and with the feeling about the place I'm sure next season will be just as good. Feel so much more positive about the future tonight

Lucky you, I am feeling more depressed at the thought of entertaining Luton and Barnsley next season......

46 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's an ordinary keeper, I'm surprised he hasn't made a big mistake before now. Let me know when he gets his international call up.

Dunno what nationality he is.

Is an "ordinary" keeper so much out of place in our side? Is he the only ordinary level player 

I suspect not.

Just now, HantsRam said:

Dunno what nationality he is.

Is an "ordinary" keeper so much out of place in our side? Is he the only ordinary level player 

I suspect not.

We didn't need to play an ordinary keeper, we could have played Carson.

We didn't need to play Bennett up front it could have been a real goal scorer that is Marriott.

We didn't need to play Hudds and have him slow our game down. 

I’m ready to move on already. With not much else to talk about over the next month or so, why not next season’s squad? I think it’ll be interesting to see what everyone thinks. To me, we’ll probably build off this:

GKs - Roos, Ravas

I also expect a couple shock departures and a couple big loanees to come in. It’ll leave us with a squad capable of switching between 4231, 433 and 442 when necessary. 

A few youth players will feature with a few playing 5+ games and one featuring 15+ times (Thomas, McAllister, MacDonald?)

Can you please change the contract extension bit.....it hurts my eyes reading that line.....which merely tells me line1 stop.  More fool me for reading on.....what a day! 

Bryson and Nugent being out and pissed last night suggests they will both be leaving us. 

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We didn't need to play an ordinary keeper, we could have played Carson.

We didn't need to play Bennett up front it could have been a real goal scorer that is Marriott.

We didn't need to play Hudds and have him slow our game down. 

I would say Carson has done nothing out of the ordinary this year.

Marriott doesn't look like he has 90 minutes in him at the moment. But he would be our best starting striker when he does.

Hudds I will unconditionally give you. I think his time has gone in a Frank side...?

Just now, HantsRam said:

Hudds I will unconditionally give you. I think his time has gone in a Frank side...?

But Frank didn't. Nor Nugent. 

Carson is a much better goalkeeper than Roos, to suggest otherwise is laughable.

GKs - Roos, Ravas

That looks like another squad that wouldn't get us out of this league.

Have a look at Villa's squad from today and compare it to that group - even with 3 decent loanees.

The defence is far too weak, the midfield is workmanlike but short of flair (excepting Bird perhaps)

The wingers look mid table at best

Marriott is good enough - Waghorn is just about good enough.

It's otherwise a weak basis for  a squad

2 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Has been 

Or was

On what basis is he still? He was dropped. Presumably not for being brilliant. 

He was injured and Roos played. He never made any huge mistakes to be dropped for...until today. Carson IS the better keeper but there is the modern obsession with keepers playing it out from the back. Roos didn't do that today either. Might say he choked then.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

He was injured and Roos played. He never made any huge mistakes to be dropped for...until today. Carson IS the better keeper but there is the modern obsession with keepers playing it out from the back. Roos didn't do that today either. Might say he choked then.

He did most of the time. 

Passed to grealish once, then on another occasion dithered until he was nearly caught in possession and passed it out.

But he presumably can't be terrible or Frank would have binned him off soon as Carson was fit, no?

Big summer ahead. Sounds like Frank wants to do his transfer dealings as early as possible going off his interview after the game. 

GK - I'd like Roos to stay, despite his mistake today. But I also think a new number 1 is a must. Whether or not Kelle wants to stay being a number 2 again I don't know. Carson free to leave for me.

DEF - Keeping Bogle will be key. I have a feeling Tomori will return on loan, if not a new CB is a must. Davies and Forsyth back from injury are good options as cover. Wisdom will probably move on, meaning we'd need right back cover.

MID - Probably the biggest task this summer will be replacing Mount. Johnson and Bryson I hope move on. Need a big shake up in midfield. Holmes will be key and I hope Sibley gets a chance. With players moving on, probably need 3 or 4 signings in midfield. Huddlestone, despite the new contract, I can see leaving. 

FWD - Need some wingers. Wilson needs replacing. FloJo can go. Marriott and Waghorn good striking options, will need a 3rd with Nuge off. Thomas will probably be in and around it next season. 

All in all, probably need 7-8 new signings to have a real good go at it again next season. Just hope we don't have to sell Bogle to fund those.

52 minutes ago, R@M said:

Appart from shielding the front of the 18yard box today against probably the most dynamic 3 man midfield we have played all season? I think Villa had 1 shot of note. He also kept the ball, and did feed it forwards and none of his diagonals missed!

Whether he is playing regularly or not next season, at least review his performance properly! And I believe the contract extension was his choice due to signing clauses. 

Complete crap. We must have watched two different games. Two different seasons in fact. Totally bypassed every single time. Hope to never see him play at Derby again.

Not in the mood to argue about this, so reply and say your piece and don't expect a return from me.

51 minutes ago, DCFC Ram said:

That looks like another squad that wouldn't get us out of this league.

Have a look at Villa's squad from today and compare it to that group - even with 3 decent loanees.

The defence is far too weak, the midfield is workmanlike but short of flair (excepting Bird perhaps)

The wingers look mid table at best

Marriott is good enough - Waghorn is just about good enough.

It's otherwise a weak basis for  a squad

Comparing to Villa’s squad is not a good idea. They had a ridiculously strong squad for this level, as they should given how many millions they’ve spent on it. If they had Dean Smith in charge in August they’d have walked this league.

how about comparing it to Norwich & Sheff Utd and all the world beaters in their squad? Or perhaps at the start of this season those squads looked like mid table fodder?

we've got some good players, we’ve got some exciting prospects coming through the youth teams. Do we need some new players to come in as well? Absolutely, so let’s see what happens.

46 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Complete crap. We must have watched two different games. Two different seasons in fact. Totally bypassed every single time. Hope to never see him play at Derby again.

Not in the mood to argue about this, so reply and say your piece and don't expect a return from me.

No need to argue, you can just admit you accidentally went to Charlton v Sunderland. I was going to put all the statistical analysis that shows Hudds’ contribution, and that Grealish had his most ineffective game in about 3 months, but this shows it better. 

Didn’t shield the back?

52CDDFBF-B9CB-4B47-ADF0-77E13513F442.png

3 hours ago, Tombo said:

Huddlestone new contract is probably the worst contract extension since Chris Martin's deal.

Absolutely atrocious defensive midfielder, and occasionally has a Hollywood pass going forward.

Brings nothing else to the table.

Except it was driven by having made a number of appearances, not through the clubs choice.

2 hours ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

Big summer ahead. Sounds like Frank wants to do his transfer dealings as early as possible going off his interview after the game. 

GK - I'd like Roos to stay, despite his mistake today. But I also think a new number 1 is a must. Whether or not Kelle wants to stay being a number 2 again I don't know. Carson free to leave for me.

DEF - Keeping Bogle will be key. I have a feeling Tomori will return on loan, if not a new CB is a must. Davies and Forsyth back from injury are good options as cover. Wisdom will probably move on, meaning we'd need right back cover.

MID - Probably the biggest task this summer will be replacing Mount. Johnson and Bryson I hope move on. Need a big shake up in midfield. Holmes will be key and I hope Sibley gets a chance. With players moving on, probably need 3 or 4 signings in midfield. Huddlestone, despite the new contract, I can see leaving. 

FWD - Need some wingers. Wilson needs replacing. FloJo can go. Marriott and Waghorn good striking options, will need a 3rd with Nuge off. Thomas will probably be in and around it next season. 

All in all, probably need 7-8 new signings to have a real good go at it again next season. Just hope we don't have to sell Bogle to fund those.

Have a feeling Roos will be off even if we wanted him to stay. He may have changed, but based off of his history he seems to move around a lot when given the opportunity. He played for 6 or 7 different clubs at youth level, moved clubs 3 times in the space of 6 months before signing for us and if I remember correctly, he went on trial/was in contact with a handful of clubs when we were interested. Add to that the fact he's had a contract offer on the table for at least 2 months that he still hasn't signed, despite it being pretty clear now he's our number 1. It just makes me think he's got an agent who will probably find him a better contract elsewhere

Archived