Hang Your Heads In Shame

Jog on with this utter nonsense scapegoating our fans for our tactics being horrific for 60 minutes. Fans are nervous. When nervous, people generally tend to not chant. If our players could have settled our nerves, I'm sure it'd have been louder. Maybe if Roos could punch a ball and Bogle defend back post, our fans would have been louder. 

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve sung my frigging head off since I got off train at st Pancras but was quiet in the ground ...guess that can happen when not all sitting near other voiceiferous types ...I have no voice left!!! Dissapointed with team selection today but we go again next season and I like the championship ...Huddersfield away Luton away already spring to mind ...COYR

Everyone has a part to play. Could the management and players have done more? Possibly and we could debate it all summer. Could the fans have done more collectively? Undoubtedly in my opinion. I’m sure there were some who sung their hearts out to encourage our lads and have no voice left, but most didn’t. Looking back, I know I could have given more and will look to improve for next season.

Do we need more generic songs so the occasional fan can join in?

19 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Jog on with this utter nonsense scapegoating our fans for our tactics being horrific for 60 minutes. Fans are nervous. When nervous, people generally tend to not chant. If our players could have settled our nerves, I'm sure it'd have been louder. Maybe if Roos could punch a ball and Bogle defend back post, our fans would have been louder. 

I’m not having it either, fans generally react to what’s going on the pitch in tight games. Villa were a bit better first half so their fans had more to sing about.

Before the start it was a pretty even atmosphere and we sat relatively close. 2 up theyhad every reason to all sing and we really only got going at that point. During the last 15 minutes our fans sang as much as Villa from where I was sat and were losing.

Too much fan bashing going on tonight.

Just now, Zag zig said:

I’m not having it either, fans generally react to what’s going on the pitch in tight games. Villa were a bit better first half so their fans had more to sing about.

Before the start it was a pretty even atmosphere and we sat relatively close. 2 up theyhad every reason to all sing and we really only got going at that point. During the last 15 minutes our fans sang as much as Villa from where I was sat and were losing.

Too much fan bashing going on tonight.

People are desperately looking to lash at anyone they can, they know attacking Frank or the team wouldn't be popular after a half decent performance, so the fans are taking the brunt of it. This poo happens a few times a season, we have awful fans, why can't we be more like Leeds etc. duck that poo, our fans are no different to any other, they react to the pitch as you say.

Atmosphere in the Derby end in the half an hour prior to kick off seemed pretty good, loud and energetic to me. Everyone more than keen to get involved and support their team on this big occasion. 

Only seemed to change when, as per usual, the ‘ on the beer all day ‘ brigade turn up just moments  before kick off and completely change that easy going and happy, almost  family  atmosphere. 

Maybe most people who go to games don’t actually like being intimidated by drunken aggressive foul mouthed louts whose idea of fun is shouting obscenities at the top of their voices , making confrontational and crude gestures to away fans and officials and who are incapable of stringing a sentence together without including multiple swear words. 

Maybe many folk really don’t like being associated with that kind of behaviour and would rather not participate in it.

In the block where we were sitting , four separate inebriated individuals in various rows were aggressively swearing at and intimidating the complete strangers sat amidst them , including families with young children , from the very off for daring not to stand up and join in with their obscene chanting and drunken ranting behaviour. To the obvious discomfort of those said strangers. 

Maybe people who have a personal objective to spend hours over a prolonged period of time consuming alcohol should realise what a deeply depressing and unattractive person that makes them when they come into contact with others who chose not to spend their time or money in the same way.

Back at pride park , I’m guessing most fans are more than comfortable with their neighbours and friends , many of whom they have sat with for years. Which helps create the atmosphere we found at the end of QPR and WBA games recently happen

Put those same people in amongst complete strangers, and then litter those strangers with drunken loud mouthed yobs , then it’s hardly a surprise that you will not replicate that same kind of togetherness and group feeling. 

To be fair, I noted that the atmosphere seemed good on Sky and you could clearly hear the rams, especially when we pressed, and Tomori tackled. It was a step up from sunderland/charlton and probably every England match.

I remember sitting in the lofty corner hospitality at PP a few years ago, over 26000 fans and it seemed like we were the only 50 there!  I wish we could have built a baseball ground replica!

I can understand people sticking up for the fan base, but in my opinion, @BurtonRam7 has it bang on the money and I share a similar feeling. You often hear in football whether the players wanted to win it, well I question whether all the fans wanted to win it. And when I mean win it, I mean absolutely desperately want to win it. Some of the red flags were there to me prior to the game, with some people stating they weren’t overly concerned about what happened in the game because it’s still been a successful season.

I’m not saying that’s wrong but to me, what Burton said a few days ago was right, it’s still a cup final and you should be desperate to win. If some of the presumably more passionate fans ,due to being active on this fans forum,  aren’t ‘desperate’ then there’s not really much hope for the casual fans and that transmits itself to the atmosphere, and that’s not even factoring in the fans who went just to show on instagram that they’re at Wembley who probably couldn’t name 5 players.

Let’s contrast that to Villa, to me there was a desperation in their fan base to get promoted after they lost last year in the final and that transmitted itself into a loud atmosphere. Each and every one of them appeared desperate to win because they knew not getting promoted would have damaging effects on the club.  They probably had their share of fans last year who didn’t want to create a good atmosphere either , this season meanwhile in game across to me that they meant business and wanted to do everything they could to get villa over the line. 

I’m surprised that we weren’t that loud as I would have thought there would have been a similar sense to villa fans of unfinished business after we lost in 2014.

Fans just seemed affected by the "Derby blight" of seeming to need the team to do something before they'll get vocal and while the team isn't giving them cheer material the sit and get frustrated.... Wasn't awful in the block I was in but was somewhat "strangled" if you catch my drift.

Which was weird when on the walk back to Wembley Park there was loads of Derby singing.....

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

I question whether all the fans wanted to win it. And when I mean win it, I mean absolutely desperately want to win it

Even if they didn't (I don't agree with you), fans aren't on the pitch. Fans aren't picking the formation, or the personnel. How much can shouting in a stand really do? And you have to accept, fans react to the way the players are playing. (Quoted this section because the post was long). 

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

Let’s contrast that to Villa, to me there was a desperation in their fan base to get promoted after they lost last year in the final and that transmitted itself into a loud atmosphere. Each and every one of them appeared desperate to win because they knew for getting promoted would have damaging effects on the club  They probably had their share of fans last year who didn’t want to create a good atmosphere either , this season meanwhile in game across to me that they meant business and wanted to do everything they could to get villa over the line. 

I’m surprised that we weren’t that loud as I would have thought there would have been a similar sense to villa fans of unfinished business after we lost in 2014.

Maybe Villa have a big club / big city  attitude or arrogance that Derby don't.  

With a lot of half fans (38,000 so always going to happen), the football on the pitch has to start the fans off in a stadium that big.

When I saw Hudds and Bennett over Waggy and Marriott, I’m not surprised the atmosphere from us was quieter and nothing on the pitch inspired us to make it better.

To clarify my point after calming down a little, my ire is mostly aimed at those who got tickets in the ‘singing section’ but simply refused to sing and looked at those who tried to do so with disdain. If you want to focus on the minutiae of the game, sit somewhere which reflects that.

5 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

To clarify my point after calming down a little, my ire is mostly aimed at those who got tickets in the ‘singing section’ but simply refused to sing and looked at those who tried to do so with disdain. If you want to focus on the minutiae of the game, sit somewhere which reflects that.

It was a free for all with the tickets. People were just glad to get in any block. 

17 minutes ago, Shaftesbury st said:

Ducking hell, where was the Drum?, how embarrassing is that comment, do we really need a drum 

Oops......Sorry did you forget to bring the drum with you? Or do the Wembley stewards take it off you at the entrance ? ?

Archived