All this excitement, and talk and yet.....

Mafiabob

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm say on the fence with this one. 

As much as I see this as a free hit, because I didn't expect to be here less than a month ago, and the result will not really define our season, I have to agree with @BurtonRam7 that a loss could see a complete reset of the club.

I think a lot of people have deployed the safety mechanism of pretending they are not too bothered but let's be honest this would be only our second victory at Wembley in a long long time, these days just don't come round too often. I'm 40 years old, seen us play at Wembley 4 times of which we've won once.

All that being said, from a footballing perspective I think the Championship is much more exciting than the Premier League even though it is quite a few notches behind quality wise.

Every highlighted point is bang on IMO.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, sage said:

Oscar Wilde wrote a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. I feel it's like a country's progress and greatness being measured by GDP and growth rather than happiness and health. 

Again, a valid point. But when I see the money that we receive if we win tomorrow, I don't get excited about how good our accounts will look. I get excited about the prospect of keeping Bogle; probably signing Tomori on a permanent; re-signing Mount and Wilson on loan; finally putting FFP worries to bed, etc. I highly doubt any of those things will happen if we lose tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Mckram said:

England v Afghanistan - ODI in London at the Oval!

Leicestershire v Derbyshire, Grace Road

Talking of the money aspects of promotion, I thought this tweet was interesting:

So a £50,000 bonus to Nuneaton if Kelle Roos gets promoted to the Premier League.

The Sun yesterday reported that Derby players would share a £10 million promotion bonus.

I wonder how many more financial clauses would come into play if it were to happen? 

33 minutes ago, derbydaz22 said:

Great username are you from Long Eaton by any chance? I used to see Steve walking his dog all the time years ago.

No I’m not. Just remember his dog’s priapic appearance in the programme back in the day.

Loved Bucko though. A rare shining light amongst dross and the odd pile driver from 30 yards. Glad he saw a promotion with us.

6 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Again, a valid point. But when I see the money that we receive if we win tomorrow, I don't get excited about how good our accounts will look. I get excited about the prospect of keeping Bogle; probably signing Tomori on a permanent; re-signing Mount and Wilson on loan; finally putting FFP worries to bed, etc. I highly doubt any of those things will happen if we lose tomorrow.

Yes I would agree. I also see a double edged sword of a mismatched league, less games at 3pm on a Saturday etc.  I want us to win but a loss wouldn't hurt like 2014 as long as we play well.  

4 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

No I’m not. Just remember his dog’s priapic appearance in the programme back in the day.

Loved Bucko though. A rare shining light amongst dross and the odd pile driver from 30 yards. Glad he saw a promotion with us.

For the use of the word “priapic” alone, Sir, you are most welcome here ?

8 minutes ago, angieram said:

Talking of the money aspects of promotion, I thought this tweet was interesting:

So a £50,000 bonus to Nuneaton if Kelle Roos gets promoted to the Premier League.

The Sun yesterday reported that Derby players would share a £10 million promotion bonus.

I wonder how many more financial clauses would come into play if it were to happen? 

Peterborough get a big one as part of Marriott’s deal. 

6 minutes ago, sage said:

Yes I would agree. I also see a double edged sword of a mismatched league, less games at 3pm on a Saturday etc.  I want us to win but a loss wouldn't hurt like 2014 as long as we play well.  

I’ve gone on record and said that I prefer the Championship to the Premier League. I reckon we’d be happier week in week out in the Championship. That doesn’t stop me being absolutely desperate to succeed and go as high as we can, but I take your point.

I disagree on the ‘less games at 3pm’ point though. I don’t have the stats, but I imagine we’d have far more games moved in the Championship than in the Premier League. In the former, we are one of the ‘bigger’ clubs and fighting for promotion whilst, in the latter, we are a small fish in which neutrals will have very little interest. I reckon the vast majority of our games would be on a Saturday at 3pm, just as the likes of Bournemouth’s and Brighton’s are. That’s not even to mention the number of Tuesday night non-televised games in the Championship. 

I’m enjoying this discussion by the way. 

Sith Happens
7 minutes ago, angieram said:

Sounds a lot 10 million but considering how many players involved its not that much between them.

15 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I do get this but....FFP is not a worry. If Tomori is available and wants to come here, we might be able to sign him regardless. Same goes for Mount and Wilson (loans). Also, I don’t think promotion will factor in any decision Lampard makes. 

The club is in a much better position; the spine of the team is still here next year, and I think most importantly, Mel has grown as the head of the Club. 

I do really really want to win on Monday though!

I've being going to Derby games since 1976 so just missed out on the glory years. Seen more downs than ups but that generally comes with the territory of following your home town club. The thing about following a club like ours is that the downs make the ups so much sweeter. I'm 52 years old a genuinely shed a tear after the Leeds game. I just can't imagine City fans doing that after routinely beating Watford 6-0 i the cup final but I would imagine every single Leicester fan was blubbing like a baby after winning the league. I would even suggest that genuine City fans took more pleasure from beating Gillingham in the 1999 league 1 play off final than winning the cup last Saturday.

We are in the incredibly fortunate and extremely rare position of having a genuine supporter as the owner of our club and we should all appreciate that. I really want the team to win tomorrow purely to give Mel the success he deserves and selfishly so we don't lose him. Do we really, genuinely want to become a City with foreign owners and a vastly overpaid squad with no connection to the fans. For me it's a no. Give me a Tuesday night in Plymouth with 300 diehards and I'm in my element. As for success, I'm happy with 11,000 of us at Bramhall Lane and a Phil Gee special sending us into delirium, every now and then.

Maybe it's just me but, apart from the Mel situation, I can take winning or losing tomorrow, it won't change my love for the club.

What would give me the most pleasure, should we lose, would be witnessing 38,000 of my fellow Rams staying behind and showing what this club really means to each and everyone of us.

This is a special club with a special owner and a special set of fans so let's show the world who we are.

See you all tomorrow.

UTR

Sith Happens

Of course i want us to win but i wont be blubbering if we lose.

I think villa have more to lose if they don't win.

16 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I share much of the sentiment of @BurtonRam7 and @G STAR RAM

The pressure is huge, because the difference between what this club will look like if we win, and what it will look like if we lose, has arguably never been greater.

It’s arguably the one of the biggest play off final in years , promotion would make a massive difference to both clubs. Look at the state of Villa earlier this season. Villa could crumble as a club if they don’t win. It’s not as bad for us but we wouldn’t have anything to spend next season to rebuild if we don’t go up. If we get promoted, we would have much more leeway to spend. Even if we go up and get relegated straight away, we’d be much better off financially with the parachute payments. I’d argue that 2014 was more of a free hit than this game, as many people felt the next season we’d get promoted the next season anyway with the quality in our team(which we would have but for injuries imo) and there was less pressure on us financially with ffp in that period. Would we able to big ourselves up for next season in the championship again(without Tomori, Wilson , Mount and possibly without a few others like Bogle and Marriott and most importantly possibly without Frank?) , I very much doubt it.

1 minute ago, Bontddu Ram said:

What would give me the most pleasure, should we lose, would be witnessing 38,000 of my fellow Rams staying behind and showing what this club really means to each and everyone of us.

I’m absolutely certain that the vast majority will stay after the final whistle if we lose. I think it will be extremely emotional but something that we’ll all be very proud of.

3 minutes ago, R@M said:

I do get this but....FFP is not a worry. If Tomori is available and wants to come here, we might be able to sign him regardless. Same goes for Mount and Wilson (loans). Also, I don’t think promotion will factor in any decision Lampard makes. 

The club is in a much better position; the spine of the team is still here next year, and I think most importantly, Mel has grown as the head of the Club. 

I do really really want to win on Monday though!

Absolutely no chance. Wilson has been linked with a 25 million move away from Liverpool with premier league clubs interested. With chelsea’s transfer ban, I highly doubt Tomori and Mount will be allowed to move again either, if they do it will be to clubs in better leagues as they’ve had their ‘experience’ in the championship. Only way we could possibly aim to get them again is with promotion. 

9 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Absolutely no chance. Wilson has been linked with a 25 million move away from Liverpool with premier league clubs interested. With chelsea’s transfer ban, I highly doubt Tomori and Mount will be allowed to move again either, if they do it will be to clubs in better leagues as they’ve had their ‘experience’ in the championship. Only way we could possibly aim to get them again is with promotion. 

Absolutely no chance? So you are offering me infinite odds to 1 that any of that could happen? 

My original point being, that I don’t think promotion makes much difference to the situations mentioned. We likely wouldn’t pay 25 million for Wilson regardless of being in the Prem. 

You seem to think that even with a transfer ban Tomori and Mount are on the fringes of the Chelsea 1st team? There are about 6 ahead of Tomori (including Zouma at Everton) and 8 ahead of Mount. That doesn't even include many of the 45 or so other loanees I know nothing about. 

Then move on to the likelihood of them being loaned to a Prem team, how many 21 yo CDs are there, let alone loaned ones? Then look at 19 yo CMs. The answer is none on loan playing regularly. 

I actually think Frank is more likely to leave if Chelsea come calling after we get promoted, less guilt as has achieved something. 

Each to their own I say. If folk are viewing this as a 'free hit' and are intent on enjoying the game irrespective of the final outcome, good for them. That's their prerogative. Assuming they are faking nonchalance or should feel differently is a bit of a stretch for me. I also do not buy into the doom and gloom predictions of ruination should we fail. Sure, there's a massive upside, but a cataclysmic downside? I just don't see it.

Doubtless like every fan on here, I'll be celebrating wildly if we win tomorrow, but there are memories I'll cherish from this season for a long time whatever happens and that's a statement of fact, not fancy. 

11 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I’m sorry but I can’t understand the mentality of there being absolutely no pressure and the idea that it doesn’t matter if we lose. This is the biggest game of the season and, if we do lose, we’re missing out on an incredible high and a totally different footballing and financial situation. We’ll have to say goodbye to the loanees and (probably) Bogle (and perhaps even Lampard) for good, meaning we‘ll have a complete rebuild on our hands this summer.

Yes, this season has been great. But we can reflect on that in the weeks following the game. 

We've been in many, many worse positions in the past youth and we're still here. Enjoy the day. Coyr

5 minutes ago, bigbadbob said:

We've been in many, many worse positions in the past youth and we're still here. Enjoy the day. Coyr

It isn’t black and white though, is it? Just because we won’t plunge into administration if we lose tomorrow doesn’t mean that there isn’t a hell of a lot riding on it. It will completely transform our situation if we win. 

I’ll remain nervous but I’ll enjoy the day prior to 3pm at the very least.

Archived