Real ale and sky

wakeyram

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, sage said:

I have said for years that there is a gap in the market for a pub that has sky sports and does real ale.  

Will 'tickers' even venture into a pub that has television or a juke box?

13 minutes ago, sage said:

with the sound down yes as long as you give a 5% discount for anoraks

What about people wearing grey blazers with a 'Canal Trust' lapel badge?

4 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Tribute is alright, but if you live in Cornwall, try Cornish Crown brewery ales much better.

Have you tried Cardinal Syn and Bad Habit from St Austell Brewery?

13 minutes ago, eddie said:

Have you tried Cardinal Syn and Bad Habit from St Austell Brewery?

It's definitely not for everyone but St Austell Brewery do a Baobab. It took me almost the whole pint to decide that I really enjoyed it. 

1 minute ago, NewquayRam said:

It's definitely not for everyone but St Austell Brewery do a Baobab. It took me almost the whole pint to decide that I really enjoyed it. 

Is that the witbier? I'm really looking forward to my week in Mevagissey in July. I may never leave the Ship Inn.

21 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Not had the Syn but had the Habit its a citrus, malty belguim style ale, I recall.

A couple of weeks ago the Memsahib said "We haven't been to Cornwall for the last 15 years or so". It's actually 14 - we were at the Eden Project the day Steve Harmison clobbered Ricky Ponting during the first morning of the first Ashes test - so I looked at their website and noticed the connection with St Austell Brewery - the baobab witbier that has already been mentioned. Then I looked at the St Austell Brewery website and the decision was made. A quick firtle around and I had found an interesting little B&B in Mevagissey close to the harbour, and the rest is history (if history can be in the future, of course).

The missus thinks that the attractions swung it - she's right. Beer IS an attraction (although she may be a little more interested in the attractions at Heligan and Par).

21 minutes ago, eddie said:

A couple of weeks ago the Memsahib said "We haven't been to Cornwall for the last 15 years or so". It's actually 14 - we were at the Eden Project the day Steve Harmison clobbered Ricky Ponting during the first morning of the first Ashes test - so I looked at their website and noticed the connection with St Austell Brewery - the baobab witbier that has already been mentioned. Then I looked at the St Austell Brewery website and the decision was made. A quick firtle around and I had found an interesting little B&B in Mevagissey close to the harbour, and the rest is history (if history can be in the future, of course).

The missus thinks that the attractions swung it - she's right. Beer IS an attraction (although she may be a little more interested in the attractions at Heligan and Par).

Worth taking the wife to Truro shopping and between 2pm and 5pm Skinners brewery do a well worth brewery tour.

3 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Worth taking the wife to Truro shopping and between 2pm and 5pm Skinners brewery do a well worth brewery tour.

The Memsahib has accompanied me on many brewery tours - and it's interesting that Skinners brewery tap website has a sign for Brugse Zot - which is among her favourites.

9 minutes ago, eddie said:

The Memsahib has accompanied me on many brewery tours - and it's interesting that Skinners brewery tap website has a sign for Brugse Zot - which is among her favourites.

Cracking pub this, its a must go to. They do have a large selection of ales.

15 minutes ago, oomarkwright said:

The star in Beeston is a great pub for that. 

Yes. In Derby surely there is a market for it. Not a full on sports experience like bar sport or walkabout but discreet screens and and pull down big screen for big occasions.

On 24/05/2019 at 21:41, wakeyram said:

I think someone has already asked this, but is there a real ale pub in Derby with sky sports? I'm getting the train down to watch the game. Cheers

The Waterfall, sells Doom Bar, bottled ales, got sky sports, next to the train station. 

15 hours ago, eddie said:

A couple of weeks ago the Memsahib said "We haven't been to Cornwall for the last 15 years or so". It's actually 14 - we were at the Eden Project the day Steve Harmison clobbered Ricky Ponting during the first morning of the first Ashes test - so I looked at their website and noticed the connection with St Austell Brewery - the baobab witbier that has already been mentioned. Then I looked at the St Austell Brewery website and the decision was made. A quick firtle around and I had found an interesting little B&B in Mevagissey close to the harbour, and the rest is history (if history can be in the future, of course). *

* @Carl Sagan Well Carl, can it? Might one day history be something in the future or would time need to be switched to reverse for that to happen for example, could Florist be champions of Europe in 40 years’ time? What does Science tell us? ?

5 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

How about a pint of Old Blacksmith’s Gussetsweat from Grimreaper Ales; 6% quite tangy. 

6%?

That's almost alcohol-free.

Archived