Boro trying to sue us...

IlsonDerby

9 hours ago, philmycock said:

Thats a very clear explanation as well by Mel of how clubs/businesses look to take action to monetise assets and turn into revenue.

Boro did it with tax losses, we've done it with the stadium and in the past that must also have been the motivation for acts like selling the catering rights.....

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mel has been calling out our overspending for some time now, particularly on wages, most probably why Rush left (being careful with what I say on that), so the sale and leaseback of the ground is to cover the overspend on wages,something that will be readdressed if we stay in the Championship. What Mel has done is legal, end of.

I have a new respect for Middlesbrough fans having read a couple of their forums, the vast majority are very pragmatic and sensible about this and concentrate on the possible reputation damage it does to their club.  i have always thought of Gibson as one of the better and more sensible owners, but he seems to have lost his head. If he doesn't intend to sue he should come out and say so.

anyway lets get on with today COYRs 

• 2 weeks later...

I would be interested to know Steve Gibson’s thoughts on owners that own 2 clubs.

Reason I ask is this....

Would this not be selling players to yourself, simply moving assets to another business under the owners name?

Whats to stop Olympiacos paying say £20m for Carvalho and selling him back next summer for £10m, didn’t work out for the lad in Greece, missed the smell of the Trent in the morning. 

Nothing to stop them is there?

3 minutes ago, David said:

I would be interested to know Steve Gibson’s thoughts on owners that own 2 clubs.

Reason I ask is this....

Would this not be selling players to yourself, simply moving assets to another business under the owners name?

Whats to stop Olympiacos paying say £20m for Carvalho and selling him back next summer for £10m, didn’t work out for the lad in Greece, missed the smell of the Trent in the morning. 

Your a little stirrer aren’t you ???

Just now, Sparkle said:

Your a little stirrer aren’t you ???

Just interested. 

Lets say Mel decided to spend the reported £21m on Harry Wilson, banking on it being the signing needed to take us up, but it doesn’t, picks up an injury early on in the season and spends 7 months out.

We finish 7th in the table, then Candy Crush United another club which Mel owns comes in and buys Wilson for £29m in the summer. 

Will the FL step in and say hold on, you can’t sell a player for that much, he only played 6 games?

7 minutes ago, David said:

Reason I ask is this....

This is effectively a much less subtle, and much dodgier version of the example that MM gave at the Showcase fan forum last August where he suggested two clubs could potentially sell each other  a player at £40m each. Net result on the bottom line being zero but £40m of turnover added to both clubs operating costs.

Didn't it used to be against the league rules for someone to own (or have financial interests in ) more than one club? Or was that just domestically?

21 minutes ago, David said:

Reason I ask is this....

Isn’t this what we did all those years ago with Dean Saunders when Maxwell owned both us and Oxford?

19 minutes ago, David said:

Reason I ask is this....

I imagine as Boro weren't in a pitched battle against forest for a place in the play offs, Steve Gibson thinks it's entirely above board. Not that the context of who you take issue with and where they stand in the league would affect such a moral judgment.

14 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

This is effectively a much less subtle, and much dodgier version of the example that MM gave at the Showcase fan forum last August where he suggested two clubs could potentially sell each other  a player at £40m each. Net result on the bottom line being zero but £40m of turnover added to both clubs operating costs.

Didn't it used to be against the league rules for someone to own (or have financial interests in ) more than one club? Or was that just domestically?

Just domestically in the top 4 divisions I believe.

28 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Just domestically in the top 4 divisions I believe.

Could championship chairmen start buying league of Wales or lower Scottish division clubs fir the purposes of buying and selling players to their championship club in ways to help FFP....

TNS announce the signing of Liverpool forward Harry Wilson for £21m

TNS announce the sale of firmer Liverpool forward Harry Wilson for £5m to a club owned by the same man but in England. He was at TNS fir an afternoon and made no appearances.

26 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Could championship chairmen start buying league of Wales or lower Scottish division clubs fir the purposes of buying and selling players to their championship club in ways to help FFP....

TNS announce the signing of Liverpool forward Harry Wilson for £21m

TNS announce the sale of firmer Liverpool forward Harry Wilson for £5m to a club owned by the same man but in England. He was at TNS fir an afternoon and made no appearances.

Not TNS. That could prevent us from playing in Europe

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

It’s same old forest being forest. 

They're rip off attempt at ‘doing a Wolves’ fell on its arse this year. So next year they’re going to try a ‘doing a Watford.’ That was all after they ‘did a Man City’.

they just keep looking at what’s worked for other teams, then trying a low rent version of it for themselves, and wonder why they don’t get anywhere. 

2 hours ago, StivePesley said:

It was.  But there are way's around it .  When Maxwell was owner of Derby he also owned Qxford United but his son officially owned one and him the other .  Dean Saunders was our first million pound player but in reality cost nowt.   

5 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

When Maxwell was owner of Derby he also owned Qxford United but his son officially owned one and him the other .

We may be on the way to that as the next gambit - as Mel's son is already the co-director of the parent company that owns the club

If Mel handed the reins to him completely, then all Mel's other companies would be totally separate

2 hours ago, David said:

Reason I ask is this....

That's exactly what Watford and Udinese were doing.

Archived